Help me answer these specific questions about the PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FungManX

The Cure.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got the Kaplan book at hand right now, and I just want to know which topics to focus on.

First off... answer these questions for me please
1) Do we need to memorize the periodic table and the atomic masses of all the elements?! because we are not provided a table..

and thats it about general exam issues...

Now..
1) do we need to know actual mechanisms from organic chemistry? (ie. SN1/Sn2 reactions) or should we just memorize the basic nomenclature of organic compounds?

2) How much does the pcat focus on ecology and plants? I've heard the main focus is on human anatomy with a touch of microbiology.. anything more to study? is the pcat heavy on stuff like animal behaviour or.. muscles and locomotion?

3) Are the PCAT questions relatively easier compared to the Kaplan material?

Thanks in advance.. I'll add to the list as I continue studying
also feel free to add here too if you have your own questions!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Do we need to memorize the periodic table and the atomic masses of all the elements?! because we are not provided a table..

OMG No!! If here is a question about the table itself it will be general, or they will provide something for you to look at.

1) do we need to know actual mechanisms from organic chemistry? (ie. SN1/Sn2 reactions) or should we just memorize the basic nomenclature of organic compounds?

I had very few organic questions (took my test in January). I remember one asked if a reaction would be Sn1 or Sn2, and the others showed a molecule and asked what you would end up with after adding hydrogen, etc. I saw one post that said they had a nomenclature question. Almost all of my Chemistry questions were from Chem1&2.

2) How much does the pcat focus on ecology and plants? I've heard the main focus is on human anatomy with a touch of microbiology.. anything more to study? is the pcat heavy on stuff like animal behaviour or.. muscles and locomotion?

I think I had one question that asked if water was transported through xylem or phloeghm (is that how it's spelled? :rolleyes: ). Quite a bit of my biology questions were about Anatomy & Physiology, which I hadn't had. But I still pulled off a 97% on that section. It seemed a little common sense is all you need.

3) Are the PCAT questions relatively easier compared to the Kaplan material?

I studied using the Kaplan book and felt the actual test was easier. Especially the verbal!! The Kaplan book made me feel like an idiot in that section.

My advice is...study what you feel you are the weakest in. I spent my Christmas break going back thru my Chem 1&2 book (it's been a while since I had those classes), and working the Kaplan Book. I didn't review anything else and made a great score that I'm really happy with. If you learned the stuff while you took the classes, it comes back to you pretty easily.

Good luck! :)

Fung,
I would say that you do need to know quite a bit about the periodic table. There were many questions based on electrochemistry and on size of molecules. There were also some questions about how many protons electrons and neutrons an element had. Also knowing the trends of the periodic table will help you with orgo reactions.
As far as orgo on the test I had some naming problems, a few reactions(c=c-oh+Hcl=what) the orgo section wasn't bad
I had quite a few ecology type questions on the test predator prey, population questions, and different types of relationships between organisms (symbiosis)
Take a test to start with and find out what your weak in then start working from weakest to strongest. Take many timed prectice tests as you will find doing the calculations for the chem and math sections can run you out of time.
Hope this helps I had 94% biology, 90% chem and 92% overall. Good luck.
DR

drhemi70 said:
I had quite a few ecology type questions on the test predator prey, population questions, and different types of relationships between organisms (symbiosis)

:eek: You had to remember those ecology equations? Lothka-Volterra and all that jazz? Or was it less math and more conceptual ecology questions? I wouldn't have guessed this subject could be on the PCAT. Eek.