Help me choose between VCU BSMD vs RPI/AMC

Started by Sazy2210
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sazy2210

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am high school senior who got in to both VCU GAP (8 year ) and RPI/AMC ( 7 year) program. Here are the pros and cons I came up with. I live in NC, so VCU is only a 2.5 hr car drive. Please help me choose:

VCU BS/MD:

Pros:

  • Flexibility (not required to go to VCU medical school)
  • Richmond is (in my opinion) a better area and city than Troy, with more opportunities and close proximity to MCV facilities
Cons:
  • MCAT (508)
  • Not accelerated
  • Less heavily focused on research compared to RPI (something that I'm looking to do during undergrad)
RPI BS/MD:

Pros:

  • Accelerated (7-years)
  • No MCAT
  • More research opportunities during undergrad but uncertain if AMC has more research opportunities than VCU Med
  • Match rates at AMC and VCU are similar
Cons:
  • AMC is unranked
 
You’ll also want to factor in the total cost of attendance, how close you’ll be to family support for the next 7–8 years, and how the match lists compare. Not sure if you’re a National Merit Finalist, if you are, the VCU undergrad portion is basically a full ride. And an MCAT score around 508 is slightly below the average MD matriculant score (~510), but it’s very doable for most students with about 2–4 months of focused prep. You can avoid MCAT by going to RPI, but there are many exams down the line like Step1, Step2, Step3, and board exams and so on! Good luck with your choice.
 
Hello, I am high school senior who got in to both VCU GAP (8 year ) and RPI/AMC ( 7 year) program. Here are the pros and cons I came up with. I live in NC, so VCU is only a 2.5 hr car drive. Please help me choose:

VCU BS/MD:

Pros:

  • Flexibility (not required to go to VCU medical school)
  • Richmond is (in my opinion) a better area and city than Troy, with more opportunities and close proximity to MCV facilities
Cons:
  • MCAT (508)
  • Not accelerated
  • Less heavily focused on research compared to RPI (something that I'm looking to do during undergrad)
RPI BS/MD:

Pros:

  • Accelerated (7-years)
  • No MCAT
  • More research opportunities during undergrad but uncertain if AMC has more research opportunities than VCU Med
  • Match rates at AMC and VCU are similar
Cons:
  • AMC is unranked
Hello I am interested in applying to BS/ MD programs and am looking for ideas for extracurricular activities what would you were your best activities on your list if you don't mind me asking what were your stats as well I am really trying hard to get a 1500 since I heard my BS MD programs only accept top scorers.