Help me choose my fall 2004 classes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedi-kid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help me make a selection between the following classes"

-Microbio (no lab)
-Human evolution
-neurobio
-epidemiology
-US health care system

Two classes I know I'm that I'm taking for sure:
-Lipid metabolism (my advisor teaches this)
-Ergonomics (requirement for major)

I'll be a senior this fall.
Thanks

Also, does anyone recommend taking histology, immunology, or genetics prior to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking immunology and though it's hard, I find it interesting and I would think it's helpful for med. school.

I took neurobiology (that was my major actually), and if taught well, it's a great class and I would highly recommend it. Health care looks interesting as well...

I think it boils down to personal preference. I would recommend micro simply because it was my favorite class. Plus you will have that class in med school. Genetics is a good class to take before the MCAT. It will give you a small introduction of the material that you will see your first year of med school. The same can be said for immuno. The class that is a hard course in med school is histo, so if you can take it as an undergrad, you should.

Basically what I am saying, that any of these science course will help you in the first year of med schools. As for human evolution, I don't think that will do anything for you. That isn't an embryology class, is it?

What is your major?

Members don't see this ad :)
Evolution or US health care system

youll get all the micro and neuro you want in med school, so whats the point? take some enjoyable classes your senior year so you can have fun before the whole med school thing begins.

also---you must have genetics before the MCAT----its half the bio section!

thanks guys for your replies

My major is sort of a mixture between human development and human biology. (this explains why I'm taking ergonomics)

I can take histo for my last semester but it will conflict with immuno.

How about epidemiology? Is it worth taking in undergrad or med school??

Also, I wanted to ask whether I should take a lot of hardcore bio classes to prep for med school or should I take classes that I enjoy?

I would say definitely genetics (it is recommended by a lot of medical schools). Histology is also helpful from what I hear.

Of those that you listed though, I would say epidemiology and micro.

Honestly, they all sound interesting to me. I loved neuro, but it was super hard (at my school at least). Genetics is also a good choice, as it is applicable to med school and just human biology in general.

i wanted to take neuroanatamy in hte fall, and it would be perfect for me because i only need 4 more credits to complete a bio minor, and it's a 4 credit course, except here is hte really nasty part. you needed to have taken genetics lab. i've taken genetics, just not the lab cause the lab is not required for my major.

then, i was going to do bio of the cardiovascular system, but that also requires genetics lab and is only 1 credit!!! how insane is that? the class is incredibly difficult, and it's only one credit!!!

Originally posted by OSUdoc08
also---you must have genetics before the MCAT----its half the bio section!

Is genetics generally a large part of the bio section, or does it vary test to test (just curious)?

Take a womens studies class. Or maybe History of the 1960's, good to discuss "pharmacology". Or "The Films of Monty Python". Or vocal lessons. Or yoga. Or tantric practice. Or how to brew your own beer.