HELP ME CHOOSE: PCSOM or LMU-DCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TN ACCORD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay here is the situation. I have been accepted to my top 2 schools Pikeville and LMU-DCOM. I am a small town guy went to a very small undergrad school. TUSCULUM COLLEGE which is also in East TN, it is like only an 1 hr 15 min drive from LMU-DCOM.

Both schools are like the same distance from home here in West TN. Pikeville is 7 hours and LMU-DCOM is 6.5 hours. Price and housing looks close to the same.

I did feel more of a wow factor at LMU, but I attribute that mainly to because it was my first interview and actually got in. I was hoping current students and recent accepted students could help me with this one.

Thank You,

TN ACCORD

Members don't see this ad.

what are your top two favorite things about each of the schools?

Personally, if I felt pretty much the same about the two schools otherwise, I'd go to the cheaper one.

MC

Members don't see this ad :)
I think many people who haven't had their first interview at DCOM feel that wow factor you mentioned. My guess is that is because it's an amazing school, but I am a little biased since I am choosing to attend there. :)

In all seriousness, sometimes two schools are virtually identical in their pros and cons and I truly think that is when you must go with your gut. Also, it might be wise to think about where you ultimately want to end up since where you attend might influence that ever so slightly. If you want to stay in TN, you will have lots of exposure to TN hospitals where you can make connections.

I would go with LMU-DCOM. I don't know much about Pikeville, but my friend graduated from there and said that she didn't particularly like it (I think the school was going through some rocky times when she was there); there are also two people in my class (at VCOM) who are from Pikeville and said the same thing (as far as rocky times being why they chose VCOM over Pikeville).

I am a bit biased, though - I really liked DCOM when I visited and almost went there before finally deciding on VCOM. I haven't met a student at DCOM who wasn't happy with their choice, which is why I think I have a better view of it over Pikeville (honestly, though, I don't know the pros/cons of Pikeville).

Good luck making the decision!

PIKEVILLE AND LMU-DCOM are so similar for me. I just found out though that PIKEVILLE pays for alot of things out of your tuition that LMU does not. For example: the first time you take parts 1 an 2 of comlex pikevillepays, they pay dues to SOMA and KOMA, they pay for your sethoscope, otoscope, opthalmoscope and books are all covered in tuition.

LMU-DCOM doesn't cover any of that stuff.

I really don't want this to be about money in my decision I can work as long as I am alive but I have never been one to go with my heart or gut feeling. Thats why I am still leaning to LMU. I can suffer through school with like 2 friends if I have to, hell I did it for the first 2.5 years of undergrad.

So please provide more personal input and any technical stuff you would like to share.

Thank you

I don't go to either school, but if you are stuck between the two then look at clinical rotations. Compare the hospitals available. Does either school have a "home" hospital you can do most of your rotations at or are you gonna have to go elsewhere? What specialties are you interested in? How many electives can you do third and fourth year at each school? Are you required to do a rural medicine rotation? Some schools only have a month long rural/underserved rotation and others (NSU I think?) has a 2-3 month long rotation in fourth year that can cut back on the number of away rotations you do. If you wanna do AOA residencies, you are gonna need to do away rotations to even get an interview at those places.

I can tell you from my experience that what each school offers in basic sciences is a moot point. It doesn't really matter about how cool each school looks or the amenities they offer. People say my school looks more like a business and less like a med school. Does that bother me or affect my education or my success in school? Absolutely not. Also, doesn't DCOM give you a laptop as part of your tuition? I thought I remember hearing about that. If that's the case and PCSOM doesn't, then the free medical equipment is a wash. Actually the medical equipment will cost you around $600-700 whereas a good laptop can be over a grand. Just remember that no matter what school you go to, how well you do comes down to how hard you work in school. No school can get you a 99th percentile board score. They can give you the resources, but it is up to you to master the material. Good luck

I don't go to either school, but if you are stuck between the two then look at clinical rotations. Compare the hospitals available. Does either school have a "home" hospital you can do most of your rotations at or are you gonna have to go elsewhere? What specialties are you interested in? How many electives can you do third and fourth year at each school? Are you required to do a rural medicine rotation? Some schools only have a month long rural/underserved rotation and others (NSU I think?) has a 2-3 month long rotation in fourth year that can cut back on the number of away rotations you do. If you wanna do AOA residencies, you are gonna need to do away rotations to even get an interview at those places.

I can tell you from my experience that what each school offers in basic sciences is a moot point. It doesn't really matter about how cool each school looks or the amenities they offer. People say my school looks more like a business and less like a med school. Does that bother me or affect my education or my success in school? Absolutely not. Also, doesn't DCOM give you a laptop as part of your tuition? I thought I remember hearing about that. If that's the case and PCSOM doesn't, then the free medical equipment is a wash. Actually the medical equipment will cost you around $600-700 whereas a good laptop can be over a grand. Just remember that no matter what school you go to, how well you do comes down to how hard you work in school. No school can get you a 99th percentile board score. They can give you the resources, but it is up to you to master the material. Good luck

PCSOM also provides a laptop in addition to the other items mentioned, and PCSOM pays for a Kaplan review course.

PIKEVILLE AND LMU-DCOM are so similar for me. I just found out though that PIKEVILLE pays for alot of things out of your tuition that LMU does not. For example: the first time you take parts 1 an 2 of comlex pikevillepays, they pay dues to SOMA and KOMA, they pay for your sethoscope, otoscope, opthalmoscope and books are all covered in tuition.

LMU-DCOM doesn't cover any of that stuff.

I really don't want this to be about money in my decision I can work as long as I am alive but I have never been one to go with my heart or gut feeling. Thats why I am still leaning to LMU. I can suffer through school with like 2 friends if I have to, hell I did it for the first 2.5 years of undergrad.

So please provide more personal input and any technical stuff you would like to share.

Thank you

I don't know a lot about Pikeville, but I am very pleased with LMU-DCOM. Refer to this post to see my pros/cons of DCOM. Yeah, DCOM doesn't cover you equipment and such, but you do get money from loans for comlex and they provide a Kaplan Review course at no charge to the student. I also can't say enough about the faculty and building itself. Lots of technology and a lot of options for away rotations during clinical years. Plus, Knoxville is only an hour away, so anytime you want to get away, its an easy trip.

I was accepted to both as well. The technology At LMU-DCOM sealed the deal with me. The lecture area at PCSOM was outdated and looked cramped. The fact that LMU offered the recorded lectures for later review was huge in my decision. I am an auditory learner so it helps me a lot to review lectures as needed. I think both schools will provide a great education but dcom was a better fit for me. Good luck with your decision and isn't it great to have a choice!

I was accepted to both as well. The technology At LMU-DCOM sealed the deal with me. The lecture area at PCSOM was outdated and looked cramped. The fact that LMU offered the recorded lectures for later review was huge in my decision. I am an auditory learner so it helps me a lot to review lectures as needed. I think both schools will provide a great education but dcom was a better fit for me. Good luck with your decision and isn't it great to have a choice!

WHOO LMU! TN ACCORD's going to lmu...hes one of my best buddies and he chose lmu! ill be joining the LMU family also but in the post bac program!