Help me clarify AMCAS CYMS 4/30 deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvester500

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was all set to attend medical school A until I attended an in-person accepted student day at medical school B. Neither have "commit to enroll" deadlines until July.

However, I am in fact required to relinquish my spot in one of their classes by 4/30, correct? (I am accepted at both, not waitlisted). Thanks for the help y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

I was all set to attend medical school A until I attended an in-person accepted student day at medical school B. Neither have "commit to enroll" deadlines until July.

However, I am in fact required to relinquish my spot in one of their classes by 4/30, correct? (I am accepted at both, not waitlisted). Thanks for the help y'all!
I'm pretty sure that is correct.

Yep, my understanding is that you need to Plan to Enroll at one of the two schools by 4/30 and decline the other acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
CTE doesnt matter for 4/30. PTE does as you can only have a single PTE in the CYMS
Believe it or not, a select few schools have elected to hyper-game the system and have established 4/30 as their CTE date (although OP stated this does not apply to his schools).

If you are "lucky" enough to have one of those schools be your only A, do you think ethics dictate that you withdraw from all WL schools by 4/30, even if your WL schools agree to allow you to remain because they agree that what the CTE school is doing is an abuse of the system?

Remember - in this case, the CTE school cannot see and would not know about the WL schools, unless and until you are called off a WL and break your CTE commitment. Where does total subservience end and doing what is right begin, if schools choose to abuse their power like this?

This is not a mere hypothetical. It is happening, this cycle, and every cycle since 2019. Sure, it doesn't impact a ton of people, but it does absolutely screw over a few, and for no reason other it gives some schools an early advantage in locking in a class and denying people the right to choose a school after 4/30 that might be better for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
To make things worse, you can't even find the CTE deadline at many schools. There needs to be a single, common CTE deadline / date across all medical schools. It's absurd that there isn't.

Reactions: 4 users
To make things worse, you can't even find the CTE deadline at many schools. There needs to be a single, common CTE deadline / date across all medical schools. It's absurd that there isn't.
Believe it or not, some schools don't have one because they don't mandate the use of CYMS!

CTE doesnt matter for 4/30. PTE does as you can only have a single PTE in the CYMS
Thanks for your reply. But to clarify, I do need to narrow my acceptance offers down to one, on or before April 30th, correct?

I can remain on waitlists after April 30th, so I don't need to select CTE on this date, just by school-specific deadlines?

1) you do need to narrow down your choices to one by 4/30 and with most schools using CYMS you need to pick PTE by the date typically
2) You can remain on WL with a single acceptance
3) if you get an acceptance off WL you will have two acceptances at two schools and must know each school's policy for time to keep one acceptance
4) no school is required to provide financial aid info prior making CTE/PTE choice so you may have to make a decision without that info
5) a few schools apparently have a 4/30 CTE date.
This is a great checklist, with one exception - #3. You really don't have to worry about EACH school's policy on holding multiple As after 4/30. The new school will know about the existing PTE, and will tell you how long you have to make a decision. You need to follow this, or you risk losing the new A.

The existing school does not need to be part of this conversation (unless you choose to bring them into it). They will not see the new A, and never need to know about it if you decide to stick with your original school. If you drop them, they will learn about the new A then. The only school whose policy will matter here will be the new school. AAMC set the system up to work this way specifically to protect you from pressure from an existing school. THIS is why they have no way to see when you are called off a WL.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a great checklist, with one exception - #3. You really don't have to worry about EACH school's policy on holding multiple As after 4/30. The new school will know about the existing PTE, and will tell you how long you have to make a decision. You need to follow this, or you risk losing the new A.

The existing school does not need to be part of this conversation (unless you choose to bring them into it). They will not see the new A, and never need to know about it if you decide to stick with your original school. If you drop them, they will learn about the new A then. The only school whose policy will matter here will be the new school. AAMC set the system up to work this way specifically to protect you from pressure from an existing school. THIS is why they have no way to see when you are called off a WL.
This is incredibly helpful. I thought I understood this to be how it worked and your post articulates it well. Thanks.

Last edited:
1) both policies at both schools matter. To suggest otherwise is promoting unethical behavior to potential physicians in a profession that highly values ethics. Simply because you can game a system doesnt mean you should. Besides, the "old" traffic post 4/30 rule of WL school calling accepted school prior to issuing acceptance is still habit amongst some admissions staff.
2) AAMC setup this system solely due to changes in Federal DOE regulations brought about by the last administration under the guise of fair trade practices. The former head of financial aid policy and enforcement was a former higher up of DeVry University (former parent of Ross and AUC) which had been hit by a similar rule affect for-profit schools. This rule was now applied to all schools in what many considered "pay-back." The current CYMS system is disliked by the majority of medical schools which would like to return to the centralized AAMC "report" system of acceptee management.
Please name names.

In a post MAR/NAR world where collusion and lawsuits are a fear, with AAMC going to the trouble of setting up an entirely new system specifically designed to be opaque to the schools, I would seriously question whether anyone at any of the schools would dare take that step. And I say this knowing full well that I am not nearly as plugged into this world as you are.

Bad habits could end up getting some well meaning staffers and their institutions sued under the right set of circumstances. Giving a courtesy call to a competitor in order to potentially limit the freedom of movement of a candidate is exactly the business AAMC chose to remove itself from in 2019.

More power to any renegade old timer at any school who doesn't believe the risk of adverse consequences to them is real, and would casually violate what I am certain is a procedure at all schools not to violate candidates' privacy and share their information with other schools. In the scenario you outlined, I'd be far more worried about unethical conduct leading to an undesired outcome if I were the admissions staff than if I were the candidate. :)

I have no doubt schools dislike any system that takes away benefits they enjoyed previously. Payback or not, there really is no logical argument to suggest that a system that could be abused by for profits couldn't also be abused by non profits. The schools abuse their "sellers' market" in many ways that adversely impact candidates, such as your widely posted admonition that schools are under no obligation to provide price transparency before requiring a decision, or maybe even a commitment, from an applicant.

As it was explained to me, the worry about the old system was that large institutions, by sharing information, could use it to collude against powerless candidates. Is this really no longer an issue for the pro big business Biden administration?? :laugh:

I honestly don't think you should hold your breath waiting for the system to revert back to what it was pre-2019. I first joined SDN back then, and remember the worries from all the adcoms that all hell was about to break loose without the MAR and NAR to guide them through the cycle. Things were surprisingly orderly that year, and are only getting better each year as adcoms and applicants adjust to the new system.

Of course adcoms miss the ability to predict yield with precision, and to have a view into what everyone's options are before making decisions regarding admission, financial aid, and merit scholarships. Proctor & Gamble, Coke and Exxon would also love to have that kind of information before making decisions that impact their businesses, but there are laws against that! :cool:

Last edited:
1) both policies at both schools matter. To suggest otherwise is promoting unethical behavior to potential physicians in a profession that highly values ethics. Simply because you can game a system doesnt mean you should. Besides, the "old" traffic post 4/30 rule of WL school calling accepted school prior to issuing acceptance is still habit amongst some admissions staff.
2) AAMC setup this system solely due to changes in Federal DOE regulations brought about by the last administration under the guise of fair trade practices. The former head of financial aid policy and enforcement was a former higher up of DeVry University (former parent of Ross and AUC) which had been hit by a similar rule affect for-profit schools. This rule was now applied to all schools in what many considered "pay-back." The current CYMS system is disliked by the majority of medical schools which would like to return to the centralized AAMC "report" system of acceptee management.
P.S. I'm ashamed of myself for not thinking of this yesterday, but, exactly how are some admission staff supposed to indulge their bad habit in a world in which PTE schools are not identified to them???

Last edited:
This CYMS system was imposed over the vehement objections of the majority of schools solely by AAMC for its own protection. The DOE changed rules under the last administration as the appointed head of financial aid enforcement was a former DeVry University (former parent of Ross and AUC). DeVry had been previously subject to hefty fine/settlement under the collusion rule for for-profit school. The former DeVry official, with urging the Education Secretary (who had investments in for-profit charter schools) now pushed thru a rule change to include all schools of any kind that receive federal aid under this rule. The AAMC is preparing proposal for rule change to DOE to exclude non-profits from this change. They are working from the same position they were granted exemption in the first place when the Federal Government recognized LCME as the sole accreditor of MD schools in 1952 as part of the original GI bill. As such, the federal government has effectively granted the LCME and by extension AAMC a monopoly if you will (legally exemption from anti-trust). It would appear that AAMC is planning to present this by time of its national meetings in the fall.
Interesting! Thanks for the insight!!

I do honestly wonder, in the current environment under the current administration, how receptive they will be to a request for an anti-trust exemption to enable this powerful consortium to more easily fix prices and limit choices and competition.