Help Me Decide: USC vs. Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernnarwhal24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these two might not seem like they compete but when I went to USC I immediately fell in love with it. At Harvard I did not get that same feeling, but I will be going to Revisit to see what I feel this time around. Being at USC would give me the perk of staying in my home state and near my family and friends, and most importantly my SO. Going to Harvard would mean leaving everyone that is important in my life across the country. I plan to settle down in CA, and would prefer a residency that is in CA. Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
In the long run, you gotta pick happiness over prestige. Who cares about having Harvard on your resume if you’re unhappy. Med school is emotionally draining enough as it. Why start with half your emotional tank already drained by moving 3000 miles away from where you’ve spend your whole life? It’s hard to justify for 7 letters unless you have serious reason. The difficulty of doing such is hard to understand unless you’ve actually experienced it

Reactions: 6 users
In the long run, you gotta pick happiness over prestige. Who cares about having Harvard on your resume if you’re unhappy. Med school is emotionally draining enough as it. Why start with half your emotional tank already drained by moving 3000 miles away from where you’ve spend your whole life? It’s hard to justify for 7 letters unless you have serious reason. The difficulty of doing such is hard to understand unless you’ve actually experienced it
I doubt anyone would be happy driving in a sprawled out City like LA with a ton of smog and traffic congestion. Just sayin'.

I know these two might not seem like they compete but when I went to USC I immediately fell in love with it. At Harvard I did not get that same feeling, but I will be going to Revisit to see what I feel this time around. Being at USC would give me the perk of staying in my home state and near my family and friends, and most importantly my SO. Going to Harvard would mean leaving everyone that is important in my life across the country. I plan to settle down in CA, and would prefer a residency that is in CA. Any input?

I vote for USC. Both are great schools but as you said, there’s more to life than medicine. You may even be a stronger student at USC with your support network in California and, given that you were able to get into Harvard right now, I’m sure 4 years from now you will be able to stand out and have a “Harvard-caliber” match as a USC student :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I vote for USC. Both are great schools but as you said, there’s more to life than medicine. You may even be a stronger student at USC with your support network in California and, given that you were able to get into Harvard right now, I’m sure 4 years from now you will be able to stand out and have a “Harvard-caliber” match as a USC student :)
The fact that you use “Harvard-caliber” as a qualifier reveals something.

I doubt anyone would be happy driving in a sprawled out City like LA with a ton of smog and traffic congestion. Just sayin'.

Boston ain't anything special. They have a ban on happy hour. Its all about OPs preference though, not ours. And people vary a lot in what they prefer.

Reactions: 5 users
The fact that you use “Harvard-caliber” as a qualifier reveals something.

Yes, more often than not, the Harvard students are the ones who prevail. However I’d argue it’s the students they bring in just as much if not more so than the Harvard name.

This isn’t the OP’s situation, but let’s take the example of two students. One goes to a state-school for free but does great research and absolutely crushes the boards. The other goes to Harvard, paying lots of $$, and does great on the boards (though they may not have to do quite AS well to stand out bc Harvard). Four years later they’re in the same residency - who made the better decision?

If you can have both, great, but if not personal interests trump “prestige.” In the end successful people stand out

Reactions: 8 users
>Sees a Harvard vs another school thread
>Assumes preallo will turn into another heated and passionate argument over prestige, personal factors etc
>Looks at it anyways and sees the expected results

Preallo never fails to disappoint :coffee:

Reactions: 9 users
>Sees a Harvard vs another school thread
>Assumes preallo will turn into another heated and passionate argument over prestige, personal factors etc
>Looks at it anyways and sees the expected results

Preallo never fails to disappoint :coffee:

Lol I’m not heated about this although I guess it’s hard to tell through text. Just sharing my two cents for whatever they are or aren’t worth. Ultimately OPs in a great place and will be well off either way

Reactions: 1 user
:corny: I am interested in that type of stuff, no doubt. But it would be wrong (imo) to think that if someone went to the most prestigious place and was extremely unhappy that they would still be likely to be super successful, as opposed to being happy somewhere else.
Aside from any discussion of tiers, the Harvard name in particular carries an outsized weight that is hard to explain and is unmatched by any others. Speaking from personal experience I would 100% choose the most prestigious place and be extremely unhappy if that place were Harvard. In medicine this is dampened a little bit by the match process, but it's still present. It finally dissipates to a significant degree when you actually get to residency and beyond; not all their departments have the same reputation.

At some point it makes sense to stop chasing prestige, but only when you've opened all the doors you want to open. Until then I think anyone with the opportunity should continue to open as many doors as possible, and Harvard has an unbelievable way of making that happen. It's an unfortunate reality—I think prestige is overrated, but this is real life—but at least you're in a position to take advantage of it. USC will not hold you back, but people are uncannily captivated by the Harvard name.

Yes, more often than not, the Harvard students are the ones who prevail. However I’d argue it’s the students they bring in just as much if not more so than the Harvard name.

This isn’t the OP’s situation, but let’s take the example of two students. One goes to a state-school for free but does great research and absolutely crushes the boards. The other goes to Harvard, paying lots of $$, and does great on the boards (though they may not have to do quite AS well to stand out bc Harvard). Four years later they’re in the same residency - who made the better decision?

If you can have both, great, but if not personal interests trump “prestige.” In the end successful people stand out
But OP has scholarships at both!

It seems like you want validation to go to USC, and with that scholarship, that is an amazing opportunity! This is obviously a personal decision, as you can tell by the polarity of replies, and I don't think you can go wrong. Knowing what you want is important. With your goals and desires, it seems like USC is it. Many people would be willing to sacrifice comfort for chasing the big name, obviously well-earned, and possibly greater universal recognition across a long career. Many people don't even have an option and are willing to move independently because of the options they were given, even to pay that big oos tuition in most places.

In the end, I would ask you to look at your life and career in retrospect. At the end of it all, do you think you would have any lingering regrets for either option? Would you always question "what if?" about harvard or vice versa? Do you feel like you want to stay home for your SO/family's sake or for yourself? For me, I would likely have to move far away from family/SO but I know they will continue to support me even though it will be very difficult. I've had friends struggle and nearly breakdown from being away for medical school, yet they were able to succeed and ultimately end up practicing back home. This is very individual-I've been in the same location for much of my life so I could see it as a big adventure as well. I think there is merit to the benefits of a strong support system and happiness for your overall work, success, and achievements, that can go farther than the name of your school. Congrats!

Last edited:
Boston ain't anything special. They have a ban on happy hour. Its all about OPs preference though, not ours. And people vary a lot in what they prefer.
Right sure different strokes for different folks, I get it. I'm just questioning the simplistic notion of equating USC with happiness. I think it's a little more nuanced.

Anyway, not trying to start an argument or anything but everyone seems to be riding the USC bandwagon so I'll just offer my two cents and play Devil's Advocate for a spell.

First of all OP, you're not doing yourself or your family any favors by going to USC and limiting your options. Sometimes you have to be selfish and think about what's best for your future endeavors because by doing so, you're ultimately setting yourself up to go back and helping them out in the most effective way possible. So essentially you're doing something selfish now to enable a greater selfless act down the line by maximizing your own potential. Let that marinate for a bit.

By going to USC, you will be closing doors whether people on this thread want to admit it or not and you will be the one who has to live with this decision for the rest of your life. With that said, your SO shouldn't even be a serious consideration unless you're married or have kids.

Sure I concede that OP may be assured immediate happiness during med school by choosing USC but what about years down the road? Will OP be able to make this choice without looking back and feeling regret?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sure I concede that OP may be assured immediate happiness during med school by choosing USC but what about years down the road? Will OP be able to make this choice without looking back and feeling regret?
This is an interesting argument. Yes USC will allow for immediate happiness but im sure Harvard could provide OP with limitless opporunities that would aid them in the future. Big H has TRUE PF and is more laid back in curriculum.

Keck does not provide this more relaxed experience imo. Yes family is close but i think learning in H will let you be more free

This is an interesting argument. Yes USC will allow for immediate happiness but im sure Harvard could provide OP with limitless opporunities that would aid them in the future. Big H has TRUE PF and is more laid back in curriculum.

Keck does not provide this more relaxed experience imo. Yes family is close but i think learning in H will let you be more free

Are either of you current or previous HMS students? I’m in a similar position as the OP (may post a thread later on), except I’m heavily considering choosing a T50 state school over HMS. So I’ve had the opportunity to talk to several current HMS Pathways students, and none of them have described Harvard’s curriculum as laid back. Those who enjoy the curriculum love the fact that preclinical is condensed into 1 year, but they don’t deny that it’s very fast-paced and intense. For some the collaborative case-based learning approach is great because they dislike lecture, but others dislike the mandatory classes (8:30 am almost every day) and miss the initial exposure to a subject/framework that lecture provides. Your first and second years (2nd year is rotations) are intense despite P/F grading, but then that gives way to a lot more flexibility in your third and fourth years (you get so much time in 3rd year to study for Step for example). My point being is that the HMS Pathways curriculum is unique and definitely not for everyone.

Right sure different strokes for different folks, I get it. I'm just questioning the simplistic notion of equating USC with happiness. I think it's a little more nuanced.

Anyway, not trying to start an argument or anything but everyone seems to be riding the USC bandwagon so I'll just offer my two cents and play Devil's Advocate for a spell.

First of all OP, you're not doing yourself or your family any favors by going to USC and limiting your options. Sometimes you have to be selfish and think about what's best for your future endeavors because by doing so, you're ultimately setting yourself up to go back and helping them out in the most effective way possible. So essentially you're doing something selfish now to enable a greater selfless act down the line by maximizing your own potential. Let that marinate for a bit.

By going to USC, you will be closing doors whether people on this thread want to admit it or not and you will be the one who has to live with this decision for the rest of your life. With that said, your SO shouldn't even be a serious consideration unless you're married or have kids.

From a fellow Rick to another, I must concede that is a sound counter argument :laugh:

These are very good points. I understand the notion of regretting not going to Harvard, but I think due to the fact that OP would pick USC over Harvard shows they probably wouldn't. There are a lot of people that care A LOT about prestige and would regret it, others don't care about prestige as much (or at all) and wouldn't regret it a bit. I think for the best outcome OP needs to be honest about the situation and decide if prestige is something they care about that much, which for some people it is.

But to the part about limiting OPs options and OPs family's options, I find it a little crazy . "Woe is me, I am but a lowly physician from USC and not a physician from Harvard, pity be to my family and I." At the end of the day OP is going to be a doctor from a Top 30 school, the only advantage I could see is applying to residency, obviously, or if OP wanted to work at the absolute best academic hospitals in the country AND progress through the ranks (as a USC grad you could still work at the academic best hospitals in the country) then maybe Harvard would have an advantage due to the name. But even then I imagine it would be more based on how competent of a physician they are. This is why I feel like it is not nearly as big of a deal as most pre-meds think it is.

If OP wants to enjoy working and living life after residency I don't think going to Harvard would add anything to their career after they graduate except for niche situations (which even then I still question it).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
These are very good points. I understand the notion of regretting not going to Harvard, but I think due to the fact that OP would pick USC over Harvard shows they probably wouldn't. There are a lot of people that care A LOT about prestige and would regret it, others don't care about prestige as much (or at all) and wouldn't regret it a bit. I think for the best outcome OP needs to be honest about the situation and decide if prestige is something they care about that much, which for some people it is.

But to the part about limiting OPs options and OPs family's options, I find it a little crazy . "Woe is me, I am but a lowly physician from USC and not a physician from Harvard, pity be to my family and I." At the end of the day OP is going to be a doctor from a Top 30 school, the only advantage I could see is apply to residency, obviously, or if OP wanted to work at the absolute best academic hospitals in the country AND progress through the ranks (as a USC grad you could still work at the academic best hospitals in the country) then maybe Harvard would have an advantage due to the name. But even then I imagine it would be more based on how competent of a physician they are. This is why I feel like it is not nearly as big of a deal as most pre-meds think it is.

If OP wants to enjoy working and living life after residency I don't think going to Harvard would add anything to their career after they graduate except for niche situations (which even then I still question it).

Imagine a trauma patient with a bleeding temporal lobe coming into the ER and saying "I WANT A DOCTOR AND SHE BETTER NOT BE FROM KECK!!!!!!".

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Imagine a trauma patient with a bleeding temporal lobe coming into the ER and saying "I WANT A DOCTOR AND SHE BETTER NOT BE FROM KECK!!!!!!".

A trauma patient probably would want a Keck student, anyway- they’ve seen all County has to offer!

• Love
The opportunities that you'll get from Harvard will be better than those you get from USC: it's the number-1 medical school in the country. As for matching back into a California residency: I would suspect, all else equal, that this wouldn't be a problem for you because you went to Harvard. As for your relationships with your family, friends, and SO, and your preference for USC: weigh that against the career benefits that having the Big H on your resume may give you. Good luck.

You are getting equal offers though. I feel like for it to be worth going to USC you should get part of COL covered as well.

Idk that's how i see it Harvard vs USC and both full tuition. Those are not equal value or offers imo.

Idk that's how i see it Harvard vs USC and both full tuition. Those are not equal value or offers imo.

That’s your valuation, which may be different from the OP’s. Location and support system are other factors OP mentioned considering beyond just cost and prestige.

Very perceptive observation...

Many years ago when I was in high school, I was offered an amazing opportunity. Quite honestly, it wasn't an opportunity I wanted to accept; life was finally going really well and I didn't want to change things. Plus there was a lot of risk involved. Still, I had to concede it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance. I knew that while there was a really good chance I might not even enjoy the experience, there was a near-certainty that I'd hate turning it down even more. Honestly, I was pissed! I ended up taking the opportunity. It was very difficult, and as expected, much of the time, I didn't actually like it. But nonetheless, I'm so very glad I did. I ended up growing as a person in ways I never could have if I had stayed in my comfort zone.

I get the feeling USC is your comfort zone.

Many years ago when I was in high school, I was offered an amazing opportunity. Quite honestly, it wasn't an opportunity I wanted to accept; life was finally going really well and I didn't want to change things. Plus there was a lot of risk involved. Still, I had to concede it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance. I knew that while there was a really good chance I might not even enjoy the experience, there was a near-certainty that I'd hate turning it down even more. Honestly, I was pissed! I ended up taking the opportunity. It was very difficult, and as expected, much of the time, I didn't actually like it. But nonetheless, I'm so very glad I did. I ended up growing as a person in ways I never could have if I had stayed in my comfort zone.

Are you saying OP might be thinking of turning down Harvard because they feel intimidated by the students there?

Are you saying OP might be thinking of turning down Harvard because they feel intimidated by the students there?

No -- though that's certainly possible. More that the OP is made uncomfortable by the differentness and uncertainty.

But to the part about limiting OPs options and OPs family's options, I find it a little crazy . "Woe is me, I am but a lowly physician from USC and not a physician from Harvard, pity be to my family and I." At the end of the day OP is going to be a doctor from a Top 30 school, the only advantage I could see is applying to residency, obviously, or if OP wanted to work at the absolute best academic hospitals in the country AND progress through the ranks (as a USC grad you could still work at the academic best hospitals in the country) then maybe Harvard would have an advantage due to the name. But even then I imagine it would be more based on how competent of a physician they are. This is why I feel like it is not nearly as big of a deal as most pre-meds think it is.

Let me clarify that the regret I am referring to is missed opportunities, not necessarily prestige for the sake of being able to walk into a bar and drop the H bomb to random strangers only to then be asked you like them apples.

As an aside, a good friend of mine is about to graduate law school and he had absolutely no issues getting numerous offers for very high paying jobs out here in the west coast including LA. This is in stark contrast to a typical law student from lesser known institutions who are even lucky to find a job after graduating. I realize that med school is a different animal but I bring this up purely to illustrate my point that OP would have more doors open as a Harvard trained doctor when it comes to securing residency, fellowship or even a coveted position at a world renowned hospital simply because the H is so well known.

In any case, I think we agree on a lot of things but it just boils down to how OP feels regarding these potentially missed opportunities by going to USC which as you even allude to as being "niche situations."

No -- though that's certainly possible. More that the OP is made uncomfortable by the differentness and uncertainty.
But if her family, SO, and I’m assuming most friends are in CA, wouldn’t she be right to be uncomfortable about moving?

However, I agree that the decision needs to be made off what makes OP happiest, not her family or SO. If she regrets not going to Harvard, that could breed resentment. But atm it seems more about not fitting in at Harvard (New England is a very different vibe compared to SoCal) rather than feeling intimidated by it.

Just to reiterate what OP has written:

OP has friends, family, and SO in/near LA. OP loves LA. OP wants to match back in California.

Better go to Harvard, right?

Reactions: 4 users
But if her family, SO, and I’m assuming most friends are in CA, wouldn’t she be right to be uncomfortable about moving?

However, I agree that the decision needs to be made off what makes OP happiest, not her family or SO. If she regrets not going to Harvard, that could breed resentment. But atm it seems more about not fitting in at Harvard (New England is a very different vibe compared to SoCal) rather than feeling intimidated by it.

Just to reiterate what OP has written:

OP has friends, family, and SO in/near LA. OP loves LA. OP wants to match back in California.

Better go to Harvard, right?

One of the most valuable things I learned was what parts of my personality were truly me and what parts were simply driven by my setting. If you never leave, you never really learn that. And that understanding is really, really valuable when life throws you curveballs.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

USC may very well be in the OP’s comfort zone, but if the OP wants to stay in her comfort zone and not make things harder for herself, that shouldn’t be looked down upon. Medical school is not the place to discover yourself (unlike undergrad for ex). No matter where you study in the U.S., med school will be immensely challenging. Why make medical school harder for yourself? For instance, if OP knows she will be miserable outside of CA, why attend HMS as a depressed student? Just because the experience will make her grow? Nah - if OP values her social support system and feels like its presence will make her medical school journey easier, then there is absolutely no shame in that.

Reactions: 5 users

I'm surprised so many people think this way. I guess it shouldn't be surprising in a hyper competitive field like medicine. Our whole lives we measure oir worthiness by grades and rank.

Let me ask a question to those with this thinking. When you're on your death bed what do you think will actually matter to you? Will you reflect on your academic accomplishments and prestige? Or will you think about the time spent with family and friends and the relationships you've built.

Medicine already requires such a strong commitment from you. Many years of gruesome training and sacrifices. Its important to prioritize the things you value in life. Don't lose sight of that in this long journey.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I'm surprised so many people think this way. I guess it shouldn't be surprising in a hyper competitive field like medicine. Our whole lives we measure oir worthiness by grades and rank.

Let me ask a question to those with this thinking. When you're on your death bed what do you think will actually matter to you? Will you reflect on your academic accomplishments and prestige? Or will you think about the time spent with family and friends and the relationships you've built.

Medicine already requires such a strong commitment from you. Many years of gruesome training and sacrifices. Its important to prioritize the things you value in life. Don't lose sight of that in this long journey.

I spent high school and college living at home. The way i see it is i have spent my time with my family. Now ii the time to shoot for the stars and take risk. I could easily stay close to home but why? There are other opportunities out there. If i want to see my family again i can if i want.

I spent high school and college living at home. The way i see it is i have spent my time with my family. Now ii the time to shoot for the stars and take risk. I could easily stay close to home but why? There are other opportunities out there. If i want to see my family again i can if i want.
Ok. That’s your story. But OP pretty clearly says she wants to be near her family.

Ok. That’s your story. But OP pretty clearly says she wants to be near her family.
Op has lived in cali thier whole life. They are falling back to comfort. 4 years in Harvard is worth it then they can match back to Cali.

Let's be careful not to inject our own lifestyle preferences into OP's decision. Whether or not family is something that is a draw, and whether a new experience or city is a draw, is OP's decision, not ours. We can help as sounding boards and try to share our anecdotal/factual understanding of what opportunities are to be had at which institution -- but beyond that we're not being that helpful.

(That said, @puahate, if I spent hs and college living with my family I'd be ready to move across the country too!! :p)

• Haha
HMS does a pretty good job of wooing during revisit, but remember the feeling you had during interviews, the day-to-day vibe is somewhere in the middle. Support networks are important, but they're not as straight-forward to evaluate as you think. You'll be incredibly busy for a lot of medical school, and you may not have the time to devote to family, friends and relationships as the other parties want. I've seen classmates have more stress in their relationships after moving near to their SO in med school as it's easy to excuse unavailability in long distance, but harder when you don't have time for someone "even though they're in the same city". Especially if your SO is willing to move to Boston down the road, that is something to keep in mind.
For professional outcomes, the two aren't really comparable. Harvard's home programs are amongst the best in the nation, and a lot of those that leave Boston go to the top California programs. It's definitely possible to get to the same places from USC, but it'll be more of a battle and you'll probably have fewer opportunities to take interesting detours along the way.

In spite of everything, I believe Harvard was the right choice. I hope OP chose it. If not, I hope having their family and friends nearby is somehow more beneficial overall than Harvard would’ve been.

What happened to the OP? Disappeared from this discussion. No update from Second Look. All this debate on her/his behalf. Now pining to get off the WL at Stanford.
Hey guys, I ended up deciding to attend USC. I was offered full tuition and housing at both, and I went to Harvard Second Look to see how I felt there. I did not see myself there at all, and I honestly did not like the culture there. I understand they are the best, but they found a need to constantly state that they were the best. They had a "cultural appreciation" showcase at the end, and instead it was all one big cultural appropriation show. Although they say they serve the underserved, there is a huge population of impoverished people in surrounding areas and there is not a focus on providing for those communities. Harvard and USC have different values and main priorities and I find my own to follow USCs. USC is where I believe I would become the type of clinician that I want to be.

I understand that lots of people on this thread were saying that I would be giving up some big thing in my career if I didn't go to Harvard, but I ask that you reevaluate that. All of the factors I mentioned and the fact that my family and SO are in CA is important to me. I'm sorry if you are able to just leave your support systems so easily for a name, but I did a lot of reflecting and the reason I did so well in college was in part because I had an excellent support system. I did not see myself having a similar support system at Harvard, I didn't even see myself hanging out with the people that I met that would be my classmates. Harvard is not the only place someone can attend for medical school to be successful. Being in med school is stressful, and if I want to choose a great school which would also allow me to be happy with my family and friends, then I should not be looked down upon. This was an incredibly difficult decision, and I have also decided to stay on the Stanford WL for now to see what happens.

So yes, my family and friends are beneficial for me, and if you can be happy being somewhere just because it's prestigious, then power to you, but I don't want to just have a name to help me when times get tough.

Reactions: 41 users
Hey guys, I ended up deciding to attend USC. I was offered full tuition and housing at both, and I went to Harvard Second Look to see how I felt there. I did not see myself there at all, and I honestly did not like the culture there. I understand they are the best, but they found a need to constantly state that they were the best. They had a "cultural appreciation" showcase at the end, and instead it was all one big cultural appropriation show. Although they say they serve the underserved, there is a huge population of impoverished people in surrounding areas and there is not a focus on providing for those communities. Harvard and USC have different values and main priorities and I find my own to follow USCs. USC is where I believe I would become the type of clinician that I want to be.

I understand that lots of people on this thread were saying that I would be giving up some big thing in my career if I didn't go to Harvard, but I ask that you reevaluate that. All of the factors I mentioned and the fact that my family and SO are in CA is important to me. I'm sorry if you are able to just leave your support systems so easily for a name, but I did a lot of reflecting and the reason I did so well in college was in part because I had an excellent support system. I did not see myself having a similar support system at Harvard, I didn't even see myself hanging out with the people that I met that would be my classmates. Harvard is not the only place someone can attend for medical school to be successful. Being in med school is stressful, and if I want to choose a great school which would also allow me to be happy with my family and friends, then I should not be looked down upon. This was an incredibly difficult decision, and I have also decided to stay on the Stanford WL for now to see what happens.

So yes, my family and friends are beneficial for me, and if you can be happy being somewhere just because it's prestigious, then power to you, but I don't want to just have a name to help me when times get tough.

Good for you OP. Sounds like you made the right decision for yourself!

Props to you. I don’t think I would’ve had the confidence to make that same decision. You sound like the type of person that will be successful wherever you decide to go.

Good for you for choosing what you felt was best for you.