USMLE Help me determine a realistic target

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrfail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am planning to take my Step I in this May and I realized I do not have a concrete score objective for the exam. So, I'm hoping you could help me.

I'm in Turkey, this is my last year of med school, I am an intern now and I want to be a surgeon. General surgery, plastic surgery or neurosurgery are what I want. Plastic surgery is the main target though.

I do not have any US clinical experience (not expecting to have), no LORs, and at the moment I do not have any published articles or any research experience but I helped one case report and one retrospective study, so I might have these two to show. But I am not 100% sure if my name would show up in these articles.

What score should I get to have a chance at being matched to one of my desired residencies? Both Step I and Step II scores, if you can please.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks @malin for your answer.
I took a look at the match data and I am a little confused here.

For instance on the page 244, the chart shows that someone got matched into a PS program with Step 1 score between 181 and 190. Is that not mean that you did not pass? And 5 people failed to match with Step 1 scores between 241 and 250. It seems like 240 is fine, 251 is fine, but not 245 lol.
Also, I am confused about what contiguous rank means.

I am not sure what score is high and what score is not, but that data indicates that I have to beat 230, which seems a little low to me. I'm not saying I'll beat the cr*p out of this score, but I was kind of expecting that 250+ is a must.

Lack of clinical experience, research and volunteer work will definitely hurt my chances. That's a pity, because I can't find a research project to work on in Turkey, and I don't know any volunteer jobs here.

Yea I'm not sure about the 181-190 step 1 score and matching thing, that could just be an error. It's the official data, so not sure what else there is to compare to.

Sometimes IMGs travel to the US to do clinical and volunteer work for a year before applying and strengthen their application.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be realistic and honest... atleast 240+ which is the mean of people who got interviewed... that way you don't get weeded out because of your score. Surgery is tough for IMG's, overcoming visa issues, and the american graduates will be an uphill battle. It's best to have connections or be absolutely brilliant buddy.