Help me, I have no hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Etzio, with all due respect, I don't think medicine is for you. I don't think you have the backbone to it, nor do I think you have the patience and grace to handle situations maturely. It's fine if you don't want to be a DO. Many people feel that way, but the way it stems from you is because you're fearful of what other people may think of you. I'm sorry about your cousin too. It seems he/she doesn't have the balls to tell his/her father to go F*** himself. Even if you get an MD, I'm sure you'll feel less because you didn't do dermatology or weren't a resident at hopkins. It really never stops when your self-esteem is low.

In addition to all that, you got a horrible GPA of 2.7. I had one too and have turned things around for the most part. It is entirely possible to do so, but I don't see that drive from you. Maybe it would be good for you to evaluate doing other things with your life entirely or wait until maturity kicks in.

What? No! I don't want to be a DO because I know I won't be happy as a DO, its as simple as that. If I get into any one of the med schools on my list (none of which are the top schools by any means, thats the dream within a dream list), im talking like Stony Brook University (NY resident), Drexel, USC, Tufts, BU, etc. I would be thrilled, and besides, i don't like dermatology or hopkins.

I can turn things around as well, I have a game plan and I know what I need to do. What bums me down is that even if I do all of that stuff, the fact that im Asian will still hurt me. Whatever I don't care though, I know I can do this if I really work towards it.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Methinks not, my friend. But best of luck."

Thanks for that, but no one cares what you think :).

This thread is mislabeled. OP has a lot of hope. Most of it is irrational, however.

I understand the cultural influences as to why you think DO is less. I have heard of it before here and in other circles from various groups.
It doesn't matter. The bias is based on ignorance. It's not about MD or DO. It's about becoming a physician and what that means in terms of what you are really doing.

So, since these influences are so strong, and you can't do anything in the immediate to lessen the bias, the question remains. What does any of that have to do with becoming a physician? Isn't that the goal? If the motivation for becoming a physician is balanced and in sound shape, who the heck gives anything what others think? Yes, I see your family's influence means so much in your culture. But in America, you have the ability to grow beyond this way more than you do in a lot of other places.

I mean what if you feel in love with someone of another race, and you familiy disapproved of marrying someone is that race? So you are in a similar situation. Are you going to dumb the person simply b/c of your family's unfair biases? If so, that's so sad.

Look, I wish you the best regardless of what you pursue. But I think some of the others here were dead on by saying you are lessening your chances by dismissing DO out of hand. And the one poster was dead on when he/she (don't remember who) said it will always be something when you are less than secure about yourself. I mean you could be snubbed and miss out in some future endeavor as a physician b/c you didn't graduate Harvard MS or Hopkins or with honors. I mean there is always something that can knock you down and try to make you feel less. The security factor is a more intrinsic kind of thing, but it's one of those things that does help you to be happy--more so than an unfair belief that being a DO will not make you happy whilst being an MD will. And really no job, position, or title will MAKE you happy. Happiness is a choice, and it is ultimately based on internal things. I say rising above the bias is one great step toward being truly more secure and happy.

Sure, if you want, shoot for MD, but don't dismiss DO either. Attitudes like this only reinforce the ignorance and unfair biases about DOs and their practices within societies.

And I am a RN of critical care for a number of years. I have worked in more teaching hospitals and university medical centers than I can count on two hands. I can tell you that I have never treated any physician, whether resident, fellow, or attending w/ a DO w/ less respect than a MD--in private or public, and neither have my nurse colleagues. If anyone can call BS it is the strong ED or ICU RN, b/c they are looking at how much you are realling into the patients, what's going on with them, what you are doing w/ them, and how vigilant in your treatment and care, and how productively you communicative with others placed to help in the treatment and care of those patients. That's what seasoned critical care nurses are looking at. And we will go out of our way for those that demonstrate these qualities, regardless of whether they have DO or MD after their names. If any of us are worth a penny, it is b/c we are there first and foremost for the patients. So, for us, everything else is BS. (OK, except for those nurses going the "General Hospital" path or playing such games.) For the rest of us, eyh, we are pretty much down to business and don't care about initials or even where you went to school. We care about those things I mentioned earlier and if you can work together with others.

Good luck. Hope you take my sharing in a positive way.

Last edited:
Happiness is a choice, and it is ultimately based on internal things. I say rising above the bias is one great step toward being truly more secure and happy.

Sure, if you want, shoot for MD, but don't dismiss DO either. Attitudes like this only reinforce the ignorance and unfair biases about DOs and their practices within societies.

To me physician = MD, that's how I have been brought up, and its been internalized where I can't give that belief up now. Most Asians aren't DOs anyway. Sure its stupid, narrow minded and dead out wrong, but I don't want to end up like my cousin or the DOs that I knew at my hospital back home.

Your right in that the grass can always be greener, and I would love to go to HMS without a doubt, but im not going fixate my life towards that, im just fixating it towards getting into an MD school for now, and as I mentioned earlier, most of the med schools that Im shooting towards aren't top-tier at all.

Happiness is achieved when I achieve my goals (aka get into med school, and my other goals in life). Its that simple.

I'm sorry about your cousin too. It seems he/she doesn't have the balls to tell his/her father to go F*** himself. Even if you get an MD, I'm sure you'll feel less because you didn't do dermatology or weren't a resident at hopkins. It really never stops when your self-esteem is low.

In addition to all that, you got a horrible GPA of 2.7. I had one too and have turned things around for the most part. It is entirely possible to do so, but I don't see that drive from you. Maybe it would be good for you to evaluate doing other things with your life entirely or wait until maturity kicks in.

Actually my cousin has and all he ended up getting was being cut off from the family because his dad didn't tolerate his impudence or his failure - not respect.

I may be biased towards DOs and can't imagine myself as being happy as one as I work with other MDs. I would just be thinking "Wow I should have gotten an MD." However its not a question of low self-esteem because I honestly don't care about other's opinions. My bias towards DOs might have been influenced by them in that in the past, but getting an MD is about achieving a personal goal more so than impressing my family and friends.

Actually my cousin has and all he ended up getting was being cut off from the family because his dad didn't tolerate his impudence or his failure - not respect.

I may be biased towards DOs and can't imagine myself as being happy as one as I work with other MDs. I would just be thinking "Wow I should have gotten an MD." However its not a question of low self-esteem because I honestly don't care about other's opinions. My bias towards DOs might have been influenced by them in that in the past, but getting an MD is about achieving a personal goal more so than impressing my family and friends.
Good for your cousin. I wouldn't want respect from a parent like that. I'd gladly walk away.

You can say what you want about the MD/DO thing, but honestly, I don't get that impression from you where you don't care. Can't prove that point, so let's leave it at that.

To me physician = MD, that's how I have been brought up, and its been internalized where I can't give that belief up now.

Wow, I was brought up to believe that Jews worked at the bank or jewelry store, blacks belonged behind the counter at McD's and all Asians were either child prodigies or worked in Nike factories. I chose to look at the world objectively and adjust my beliefs to reality.

Maybe before you consider medicine you should consider growing up and making your own opinions about the world and stop blaming your narrow-mindedness on your family!

Super random how I ended up on this thread. I guess that's what happens when you procrastinate. Anyhow, I really just wanted to say that, first, your grades are low, even compared to mine when I applied. With that said, anything is still possible. My grades and MCATs were not stellar, but I knew my weaknesses, built up my app and got into school, and into a very competitive program within the school.

However, I do have to agree that you're setting yourself up for a lot of failure by not being realistic. Many of my med school professors are DOs and honestly, if you asked me at the beginning who was an MD and who was a DO, I couldn't tell you. You learn pretty much the exact same thing, and many DOs take the USMLE and go into MD residencies in really competitive fields. Just saying that you wouldn't be happy in a DO program even though you have never experienced it is really short sighted. And secondly, if you're super bent on being an MD, there is always the possibility of going to a school outside of the country like in the Caribbean. Just my two cents

Members don't see this ad :)
lol Given your family situation I think your parents would probably disown you if they found out that your GPA is 2.7.

Im a junior in my second semester of university and my gpa after 2.5 years is a lowly 2.76. This was due to depression, that made me lose my motivation and sent me on a downward spiral for 2.5 years. I dealt with these issues through counseling, and other means. I am ready, willing, and able to turn things around to get into med school however I feel like it is too late.

I only have three semesters left, and even if I ace them, my GPA will only be a lowly 3.19. This kills me that my GPA is so low, but there must some way to offset it, something that I can do?

If I can ace the rest of school, will that strong upward trend with a killer MCAT score at least mitigate some of the damage?

If I transfer to another school now, I will have to spend an extra year there, but I can theoretically boost my GPA to a 3.39 or a 3.4, is this worth it?

Im going to shadow at the hospital near my school, I also plan to take a year off to pursue a public health related research project in China once I graduate that I am trying to set up. Would that help?

Im Chinese, and most Chinese applicants are very strong academically, will the fact that I have a low GPA be even more of a red flag since im also Asian?

I think in addition to your low GPA your extra cirriculars seem on the weaker side. Did you just start to volunteer and shadow? Is this the first research project you're getting involved in? If the answers are yes you definitely need to get involved with them more heavly as you try to salvage your gpa. You DEFINITELY need to finish strong and do a SMP program, do well in it of course, as well as score fairly high on the MCATs (33+). Going to China to do a public health related research project is great and will help, but not a lot. It is hard to do anything meaningful in research in one year as most research projects are exceedingly drawn out.

The road ahead of you is not going to be easy... However, with a few years and luck you might be able to get into a MD school that you so much want to be at. (When you do apply you HAVE to apply BROAD AND NUMEROUS. Even the schools you listed like Drexel, USC, Tufts, BU are reach schools for you not only because you have a weak gpa but because these schools get enormous applicant pools every year)

med school is not for everyone and your depression is gonna be a MAJOR hurdle in your ability to get through med school. try to resolve that first before you even start stressing out about getting in because even if you get in, i personally don't think that you're gonna be able to pass in your current state of mind (had a couple of classmates like you who failed miserably, felt sad for them). goodluck, depression is a serious problem, try to get healthy first because med school can be really tough sometimes.;)

If you aspire to be a doctor, you need to wrap your head around the fact that DOs are not "nonsense." You need to learn how to play nice with colleagues instead of dismissing them outright.

This is a unhelpful thread. You came in asking for help, then you convinced yourself that 'yes, there have been others who can, so I can too!' You just asked what you can do, said you can do it, then why not just go and do it?

It just bothers me when people know the answer and need a whole congruence of people to help their self-esteem. Just do it. If you try your hardest and don't succeed, then you just weren't meant for it. No judgment, but from what you've shown from this thread, you totally do not know what you're getting into and you're just shaming all the Chinese people on this thread.

No judgment, but from what you've shown from this thread, you totally do not know what you're getting into and you're just shaming all the Chinese people on this thread.

Its ok, Im a banana (yellow on the outside, but white in the inside) anyways, so Im not really shaming true Chinese to begin with (I should put that on my app now that I think about it).

So, since these influences are so strong, and you can't do anything in the immediate to lessen the bias, the question remains. What does any of that have to do with becoming a physician? Isn't that the goal? If the motivation for becoming a physician is balanced and in sound shape, who the heck gives anything what others think? Yes, I see your family's influence means so much in your culture. But in America, you have the ability to grow beyond this way more than you do in a lot of other places.

I mean what if you feel in love with someone of another race, and you familiy disapproved of marrying someone is that race? So you are in a similar situation. Are you going to dumb the person simply b/c of your family's unfair biases? If so, that's so sad.

The goal is to achieve my dreams. Ive been failing for too long in my life and Im not ready to admit defeat especially when everyone around me achieves their dreams so easily. My goal is to get into an MD school, and I will regret it if I don't achieve that. I never said HMS, or Columbia (though I did start a thread asking out of pure curiosity, but in reality any school on my list will do).

Love and med school admissions are two completely different variables, the overlap is essentially non existent.

Didn't mean to dismiss it in that way. I know I will live with regret as I work with other MD colleagues knowing that I couldn't achieve my dream.

Clearly becoming a physician is not your priority. The title MD is all you want, not a career in medicine. That is not nearly enough to make it through the struggles of med school and residency. You have to go into medicine because it is a calling. Because you want to be a part of the human experience. Not because you want the prestigious MD to follow your name.

I was an immature undergrad with bad grades until my junior year. After taking intro level science courses my eyes opened to the fascinating mysteries of science, disease and medicine. The reason I was able to bring up my GPA to med school level and why I will be able to make it through med school is because I have a kind of child-like wonder and amazement in science and medicine that every med student needs to make it through the rigorous process of medical school and residency. I will do whatever is necessary to become a physician, whether it is becoming a DO or MD because I am interested in medicine, not in the degree title.

Discipline, maturity and self assurance are traits med schools will be looking for when you go for an interview. I don’t think they will find these traits in you based on the comments I have seen you make here. You need to work on these character flaws before you begin this long and strenuous journey. I was not ready myself until late in college. You are not ready yet either.

Remember, being a doctor is not like it once was. You can make more money and have a better personal life in other fields. YOU SHOULD ONLY GO INTO MEDICINE IF IT IS A CALLING, PASSION, AND ABSOLUTE DESIRE TO HELP OTHERS AND BE A PART OF THE HUMAN EXPERIENCE. YOU MUST ALSO HAVE THE OVERWHELMING INTEREST IN THE SCIENCE OF MEDICINE. IF MD IS YOUR MAIN CONCERN DONT BOTHER MY MAN.

Its ok, Im a banana (yellow on the outside, but white in the inside) anyways, so Im not really shaming true Chinese to begin with (I should put that on my app now that I think about it).

sorry, but i thought this was really funny :laugh: i've never heard that analogy

sorry, but i thought this was really funny :laugh: i've never heard that analogy

It is only used within the chinese community.
I hope all chinese american kids r not like OP...

Clearly becoming a physician is not your priority. The title MD is all you want, not a career in medicine. That is not nearly enough to make it through the struggles of med school and residency. You have to go into medicine because it is a calling. Because you want to be a part of the human experience. Not because you want the prestigious MD to follow your name.

I was an immature undergrad with bad grades until my junior year. After taking intro level science courses my eyes opened to the fascinating mysteries of science, disease and medicine. The reason I was able to bring up my GPA to med school level and why I will be able to make it through med school is because I have a kind of child-like wonder and amazement in science and medicine that every med student needs to make it through the rigorous process of medical school and residency. I will do whatever is necessary to become a physician, whether it is becoming a DO or MD because I am interested in medicine, not in the degree title.

Discipline, maturity and self assurance are traits med schools will be looking for when you go for an interview. I don't think they will find these traits in you based on the comments I have seen you make here. You need to work on these character flaws before you begin this long and strenuous journey. I was not ready myself until late in college. You are not ready yet either.

Remember, being a doctor is not like it once was. You can make more money and have a better personal life in other fields. YOU SHOULD ONLY GO INTO MEDICINE IF IT IS A CALLING, PASSION, AND ABSOLUTE DESIRE TO HELP OTHERS AND BE A PART OF THE HUMAN EXPERIENCE. YOU MUST ALSO HAVE THE OVERWHELMING INTEREST IN THE SCIENCE OF MEDICINE. IF MD IS YOUR MAIN CONCERN DONT BOTHER MY MAN.

- I worked at my local hospital shadowing/volunteering

- I worked at a hospital for a summer in rural China where I shadowed doctors and observed the differences in medicine in China and the US.

- I published my research when I was in high school, before my depression hit.

- Ive worked in multiple labs so far doing cancer research.

- I have other goals that I am working towards achieving as well.

I have a passion for science and for medicine. The only thing that caused me to do poorly was my fear of failure and my depression which led to my subsequent lack of motivation. Its not about MD versus DO or one being better than the other. Its about me achieving my dream and getting into a respectable school on my list. I know that I would regret everyday as I worked with my MD colleagues knowing that I failed once again, to achieve my dream as I have been doing for all of my life. This is something that I really care about, and I refuse to give up and admit defeat because I need to prove to myself that I can be successful.

It is only used within the chinese community.
I hope all chinese american kids r not like OP...

Who cares? Being Chinese sucks anyway. Might as well be white on the inside.

its a disgrace. its a fkkking disgrace.

i tell u its a disgrace. its a fkkking disgrace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkhQZNHcxmE

Thats your supposed attempt at humor? Haha - no wait - fail.

Yes but failing should mean not becoming a physician. Is it more important for you to not become a physician at all than to be an DO? If the answer is yes than your not serious about becoming a doctor. MD and DO do essentially the same exact thing. Your going to let family influence the rest of your life because they think MD is a real doctor? how ridiculous. it sounds so silly I dont believe it.

Last edited:
u-mad.gif

Upvotes for the fellow redditor.

Yes but failing should mean not becoming a physician. Is it more important for you to not become a physician at all than to be an DO? If the answer is yes than your not serious about becoming a doctor. MD and DO do essentially the same exact thing. Your going to let family influence the rest of your life because they think MD is a real doctor? how ridiculous. it sounds so silly I dont believe it.

No to me failing means not achieving my goals. DO isn't my goal, nor is my goal to spend the rest of my life regretting the fact that I couldn't get into an MD school as I wanted too, especially when I work with MD colleagues. To me success entails getting into a school from my list, and excelling there, as well as achieving other personal and social goals for myself.

Etzio, with all due respect, we don't always get what we want in the real world. If it's your dream to become an MD, then go for it. Is it possible for you to get into an MD school? Absolutely. But with less than a 3.0 GPA, and no clear nonclinical volunteering, leadership, teaching, or unique hobbies, getting in is going to be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. It is ALWAYS harder to recover from poor stats than to maintain average ones.

You'll have to get into an SMP, which are expensive and difficult to get into (You'll probably need a minimum 3.0 GPA), or, as was suggested earlier, enter into the workforce for a couple of years as a clinical researcher. You'll need to diversify your application. You'll need an excellent MCAT. And though many people turn their lives around and accomplish this, those people are far and few in between. Are you one of them? Possibly. But myself, and the other folks on SDN, can only give you probabilities. And whether you like it or not, most individuals with stats as low as yours and equally weak EC's don't suddenly become amazing geniuses with insane grades, amazing EC's, and 38+ MCAT scores. It is very likely that, as hard as you try, you may not be able to get into an MD school, just because it is so stressful, and work-intensive, to recover from stats as low as yours. It would be hard for anyone to handle a repair job like that.

And, if you don't get into an MD school, and don't want to be a DO, fine. But if that is the case, you probably won't be a doctor. Caribbean schools are in it for the money, and your chances for a residency, even in FM, are very low if your coming from a Caribbean school. And if you want to work in a specialty, forget about it. You have to be, like, at the tippity top of your class to get into a specialty residency coming from a Caribbean school. Why? Because MDs, and then DOs, get first dibs. Go ahead and limit your options if you want to, but given your stats and attitude, I have my doubts you'll make it into a med school. You may want to start considering another career as a back up if you are that biased against DO schools. Sorry, but in the real world, 2.7 GPAs won't do much for you, and unlike DO schools, allopathic schools don't have a grade forgiveness policy.

As an FYI for you, OP, even getting into an SMP is no guarantee.

Reputable programs like Georgetown boast averages of a 3.3 GPA and a 32+ MCAT, maybe a 10% acceptance rate, and expectations for all of the medical school ECs.

It goes without saying that performing well in an SMP is no guarantee, either; you will be competing against people who are smarter than you and who have worked harder than you their entire lives.

You have your work cut out for you, OP. Stop arguing with people on SDN and go study.

Etzio, with all due respect, we don't always get what we want in the real world. If it's your dream to become an MD, then go for it. Is it possible for you to get into an MD school? Absolutely. But with less than a 3.0 GPA, and no clear nonclinical volunteering, leadership, teaching, or unique hobbies, getting in is going to be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. It is ALWAYS harder to recover from poor stats than to maintain average ones.

You'll have to get into an SMP, which are expensive and difficult to get into (You'll probably need a minimum 3.0 GPA), or, as was suggested earlier, enter into the workforce for a couple of years as a clinical researcher. You'll need to diversify your application. You'll need an excellent MCAT. And though many people turn their lives around and accomplish this, those people are far and few in between. Are you one of them? Possibly. But myself, and the other folks on SDN, can only give you probabilities. And whether you like it or not, most individuals with stats as low as yours and equally weak EC's don't suddenly become amazing geniuses with insane grades, amazing EC's, and 38+ MCAT scores. It is very likely that, as hard as you try, you may not be able to get into an MD school, just because it is so stressful, and work-intensive, to recover from stats as low as yours. It would be hard for anyone to handle a repair job like that.

And, if you don't get into an MD school, and don't want to be a DO, fine. But if that is the case, you probably won't be a doctor. Caribbean schools are in it for the money, and your chances for a residency, even in FM, are very low if your coming from a Caribbean school. And if you want to work in a specialty, forget about it. You have to be, like, at the tippity top of your class to get into a specialty residency coming from a Caribbean school. Why? Because MDs, and then DOs, get first dibs. Go ahead and limit your options if you want to, but given your stats and attitude, I have my doubts you'll make it into a med school. You may want to start considering another career as a back up if you are that biased against DO schools. Sorry, but in the real world, 2.7 GPAs won't do much for you, and unlike DO schools, allopathic schools don't have a grade forgiveness policy.

- But I have volunteered and I have done research - even published. I just stated that in one of my previous posts. Im also shadowing at my local hospital this semester. Moreover I also listed the goals that I am working to achieve as well so I do hope to have some unique ECs by the time I apply.

- Im not applying with a 2.7, I still have 3 or maybe 5 semesters if I transfer.

- I get it, its not going to be easy. Ok, but if im willing to go through the hard-work, the struggle, and the pain to achieve my goals who has the right to tell me I can't do it? No one.

I get it, its not going to be easy. Ok, but if im willing to go through the hard-work, the struggle, and the pain to achieve my goals who has the right to tell me I can't do it? No one.

I agree. We don't really know you, or what you are capable of. You could be the next Ben Carson for all we know. You can, and quite possibly will, achieve your dreams. But keep in mind that me, and the folks at SDN, can only give you advice based off of what little we know of you, and what we know is that you have a pretty low GPA. Based off of that, a lot of us have tried to convince you to consider a DO, not because getting an MD is impossible, but because for most people with similar stats, a DO has been the best solution. And we aren't trying to be mean when we say that it really is a bad idea to completely dis DO schools at this stage in the game (at least I am not trying to be mean...I guess I can't speak for everyone here). We are saying this because it really is a bad idea for someone with low stats. Beggars can't be choosers, but when you've actually accomplished your prospective goals, it won't seem so foolish to completely turn away from the DO option. But until then, I suggest that you keep it at the back of your mind, at the very LEAST.

But I have volunteered and I have done research - even published. I just stated that in one of my previous posts. Im also shadowing at my local hospital this semester. Moreover I also listed the goals that I am working to achieve as well so I do hope to have some unique ECs by the time I apply.

I saw that post. You look good as far as research and clinical experience, but like I said, you'll need some leadership, some interesting hobbies, some teaching or TAing, and some NONclinical volunteer work to be competitive.

I agree. We don't really know you, or what you are capable of. You could be the next Ben Carson for all we know. You can, and quite possibly will, achieve your dreams. But keep in mind that me, and the folks at SDN, can only give you advice based off of what little we know of you, and what we know is that you have a pretty low GPA. Based off of that, a lot of us have tried to convince you to consider a DO, not because getting an MD is impossible, but because for most people with similar stats, a DO has been the best solution. And we aren't trying to be mean when we say that it really is a bad idea to completely dis DO schools at this stage in the game (at least I am not trying to be mean...I guess I can't speak for everyone here). We are saying this because it really is a bad idea for someone with low stats. Beggars can't be choosers, but when you've actually accomplished your prospective goals, it won't seem so foolish to completely turn away from the DO option. But until then, I suggest that you keep it at the back of your mind, at the very LEAST.

I saw that post. You look good as far as research and clinical experience, but like I said, you'll need some leadership, some interesting hobbies, some teaching or TAing, and some NONclinical volunteer work to be competitive.

Fair enough, however im not dissing anyone. I can't be happy knowing that I failed to get into the schools I wanted too and had to have a back door option in order to become a doctor. Ive been failing my whole life since high school, college, my depression, and I don't want to fail at this either.

I will do my best, and see where I am later in the road I suppose.

Im a junior in my second semester of university and my gpa after 2.5 years is a lowly 2.76. This was due to depression, that made me lose my motivation and sent me on a downward spiral for 2.5 years. I dealt with these issues through counseling, and other means. I am ready, willing, and able to turn things around to get into med school however I feel like it is too late.

I only have three semesters left, and even if I ace them, my GPA will only be a lowly 3.19. This kills me that my GPA is so low, but there must some way to offset it, something that I can do?

If I can ace the rest of school, will that strong upward trend with a killer MCAT score at least mitigate some of the damage?

If I transfer to another school now, I will have to spend an extra year there, but I can theoretically boost my GPA to a 3.39 or a 3.4, is this worth it?

Im going to shadow at the hospital near my school, I also plan to take a year off to pursue a public health related research project in China once I graduate that I am trying to set up. Would that help?

Im Chinese, and most Chinese applicants are very strong academically, will the fact that I have a low GPA be even more of a red flag since im also Asian?

It is very unlikely that you will be accepted to medical school so no, it is not worth it.

Just let it die. Like Etzio's chance of getting into med school...

It is very unlikely that you will be accepted to medical school so no, it is not worth it.

Just let it die. Like Etzio's chance of getting into med school...

demotivational-posters-haters.jpg

Really? I just did it, except my GPA of 2 years was 2.43. I transferred and now I have a 4.0 in 3rd year courses (incl science). An adjustment disorder and living with an abusive alcoholic and an enabling family were factors in my low GPA, but at the time, I didn't see that, and I felt that *I* was to blame.

OP, it's possible if you figure out why you have a low GPA. And one of your pros is that you can write really well which may set you apart from the Chinese kids who just come over here to study, have only Chinese-speaking friends, live in a Chinese neighbourhood, and consequently, know very little English, let alone good English.

Na muh englis fine….thanks you much. But seriously dude…..thats really inspiring!!!!! :D Congrats ma man!

inspiration_poster.jpg

OP, If you can raise your gpa to 3.4 considering your first 2years low gpa, it will show strong upward trend and to increase your chances, you get like a 32+ on the mcat, then your have a reasonable chance.

College ---> :beat:
............................ ....<--- Etzio

College ---> :beat:
............................ ....<--- Etzio

Why is SDN infiltrated with gunners? SDN is a pretty small community compared to the number of pre-meds in the entire country and abroad who want to come here, and even if every SDN member got into med school, it wouldn't change national trends. You still have to do the work and sit the exams.

Why is SDN infiltrated with gunners? SDN is a pretty small community compared to the number of pre-meds in the entire country and abroad who want to come here, and even if every SDN member got into med school, it wouldn't change national trends. You still have to do the work and sit the exams.
wat

Upvotes for the fellow redditor.

I wasn't going to get involved in this thread at all, but I couldn't help myself.

The first rule of Reddit is you do not talk about Reddit.

&#3232;__&#3232;

To the OP:

I'm a DO student.

You want to be an MD? Fine. Nothing wrong with that. I've got good friends who are going to be stellar MDs. There's no reason to go DO just because you can't make it into an MD school. Work harder. Make sure your depression gets treated (I sympathize with you here - I know how hard that can be to deal with). Figure out what is going wrong and fix it.

While we're on the topic - how dare you make presumptions about DOs. Is it true that DO school matriculation stats are lower on average? Sure. Do we have students who went DO (and hate it) because they couldn't get into an MD school? Sadly, yes. However, that's not the norm. I'm constantly impressed by my colleagues, by what drives them, what they've overcome to get to where they are, and the successes they achieve. I'm proud to be at my school and I wouldn't give up my spot here for anything. I know that I'm getting great training. If some program director sees my stats and meets me at an audition rotation but wants to ignore all of that because of the letters behind my name, I didn't wanna work under them anyway. I'll find another way to get where I want to go. The only thing I'm really afraid of is making a life-altering mistake on a patient's care. You know what? I'll probably make one. It's going to suck. Then, I'm going to learn from it and keep going.

You stated earlier that you would go to HMS over anywhere else if they accepted you. Why? To be a better clinician? A better researcher? Have you even been at the school? My assumption is that you would choose it based on brand name alone. You need to think long and hard about why everybody is ragging on you in this thread. Stop playing the victim of parental pressure or of racial discrimination and figure out what exactly it is that you want out of this life. Right now, you're lying to yourself.

By the way, I'll just leave this here.
4vDk9.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't going to get involved in this thread at all, but I couldn't help myself.

The first rule of Reddit is you do not talk about Reddit.

&#3232;__&#3232;

Upvote for use of "I'll just leave this here" on a forum that isn't Reddit. This thread is absolutely ridiculous, so we might as well insert a little humor into it... now where is that awesome gif of sad Keanu Reeves eating a cupcake...

keanucupcake.gif

I promised myself I wouldn't post any cutesy meme stuff.
So dirty.
So shameful.
I am disappoint.

udrunk?