Help me improve my application for the next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cauchy1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think one area you could work on would be clinical volunteering. I see you have worked as a scribe, which is great, but did you actually deal with patients, check their vitals, talk to them, etc? Or were you just following the doctor and writing notes? Also - maybe you should get some primary care shadowing. Stats wise - I think you're good, so you need to find an environment where you are able to actually interact with patients. Also, maybe find an EC where you can take a lead role, or even start something new.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
No clinical volunteering = death sentence

Not at all, I had zero clinical volunteering and got 5 MD IIs. But I had thousands of hours of patient contact at my job.

OP, I would definitely acquire shadowing hours at a primary care office/clinic and amp up your volunteering. See if you can find a more clinically-related service activity--doesn't have to be actual clinical volunteering, but something like hospice or working with individuals with disabilities would help your application.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, I know it's early in the season and there's still a possibility of getting in this year, but with no II nearing the end of October, I want to be proactive and try to improve my application in case I end up having to reapply.

Year in school: Graduated Post Baccalaureate (BA, BS)
Country/state of residence: OR
Schools to which you are applying: OHSU, UVA, EVMS, VCMS, Vermont, NYMC, Emory, Michigan, Hofstra, Loyola, Oakland, St Louis, Quinnipiac, Jefferson and a few others.
Cumulative GPA 3.77
Science GPA 3.83
MCAT Scores 514 (126/129/131/128)
Research – <1 year clinical research. No publications or presentations.
Volunteering (clinical) – None
Physician shadowing – None
Non-clinical volunteering ~500 hrs over 4 years split between homeless shelter, overseas work with aid groups, and with my church book store.
Employment history - 2 years as ED scribe (~2000 hrs)
Immediate family members in medicine? No
Specialty of interest Not sure yet, but emergency has some aspects that are appealing to me.
Graduate degrees: None

SES disadvantaged (according to AMCAS), first generation college student, ORM. I applied early this cycle, primary sent in early July, with all my secondaries sent in by mid August at the latest. No II yet, and I'm looking to see how I can improve my application for the next cycle. I figured with the scribing experience physician shadowing was not necessary, but perhaps that was a misstep? I also figured out that I wanted to pursue medicine after I completed my BA so some of my prerequisites were completed at a community college (though I completed ~60 hrs of upper division biology and chemistry at a 4 year university) so I suspect that may be hurting me as well. As of right now, I'm planning on bumping up the research by finding a research assistant program and am looking to participate in some physician shadowing as well. Other than that, any suggestions as to how I can improve my application for next year are greatly appreciated!
Here is a list of schools that match your scores:
Hofstra
University of Iowa
St Louis
Unversity of Colorado School of Medicine
Dartmouth
U of Miami
loyola
Brown
Tufts
Floria Atlantic
Tulane
Virginia Tech
Thomas Jefferson
Medical college Wisconsin
U of Vermont
Albany
Unifored
Drexel
Temple University
New York Medical College
Western Michigan
Wake Forest
Oregon Health
George Town
EVMS
Creighton
Oakland University Beaumont
Loma Linda
Penn State
U Central Florida
USF
Indiana
University of Arizona
Rush
Frank H Netter
George Washington University
VCU
Wright State University
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin Chicago
Michigan State
Cooper Medical School Rowan
West Virginia

You should add some clinical volunteering , maybe work as a PCA or something to give you more patient contact. I believe the cycle is still not done yet and you should get a spot provided you applied to many of the schools listed above. Also redo your PS and secondary essays.

Agreed. I have been looking for an opportunity to spend some more time volunteering in a clinical setting while I go through the application process this year. Up until now, I have been limited in what I have been able to do, as I was working and attending school full time. As far as the scribe position goes, I do have some patient contact. Depending on the case, I have taken patient histories and provided summaries to the physician (that they then verify/clarify with the patient), provided blankets/water, and answered basic questions (pt: Can I do this/that? When will I know this? etc). Hopefully I was able to articulate this well in my primary and secondary essays.

Haha. Not what I was hoping to hear, but thanks for the input anyway. I'm hoping the rectify that situation.

Thanks for the list! I applied to the schools in red, as well as UVA, Michigan, NYMC, Rochester, Emory. (Gotta have a few reaches right?)
A thing to keep in mind is state schools especialy UVA and Mich will have higher MCAT averages for OOS applicants and lower averages for IS applicants. Your MCAT is good, but not uMich OOS applicant good!

You have no nonclinical volunteering. You need to get some. Go help out at a soup kitchen or a homeless shelter. Tutor some kids. Do something to show your altruism. Find something that will help those less fortunate than yourself, the underserved. Also get some shadowing. Find a PCP and see how she/he spends his/her days, how he/she runs the practice. Your stats are fine. Don't worry about taking your courses at a CC. If you don't get an II it's because of gaps in your ECs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I saw volunteering none and didn't see the clinical qualifier! Sorry about that!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You're probably right, and I most likely just contributed to their secondary fee funds, but I wanted at least one really reachy school on the list. I was thinking maybe the first generation college student/SES disadvantaged/non-trad/community service hours/~2000 paid clinical hours might entice them to take a look at me.

You may be right. At least the 126 isn't biology or CARS though.
I would not retake the mcat.

I applied to 19. The ones in red on your list that I quoted above, and the other few (UVA, Michigan, NYMC, Rochester, Emory) that I mentioned.

Have any schools rejected you?

Uh. I think you shot too low. You need higher ranked schools in there! Your stats are great even if your ecs are bland

You have 2 years as an ED scribe..you don't need clinical volunteering. The whole point of clinical volunteering is to get medical experience which you clearly have. You are missing shadowing. They want you to know what a physician is like. But your application seems great. Look closely at your writing and apply to more schools

Update #2:
I've received two II, the first at the end of October and the second in the middle of November. I've attended both and feel like they went well, but am still not feeling too good about the cycle in general. I wasn't planning on applying DO this round, but after a weaker than expected showing this fall, am wondering if I should throw my hat in the DO ring. Has anyone applied DO late on the cycle with success? Any advice as to whether I should just ride it out this year and apply DO/MD if I don't get in or add DO this year?

In anticipation of reapplication, I'll be starting a volunteer clinical research position in the next few weeks, and hopefully will be able to pick up some shadowing hours as well. I'm also looking into further non clinical volunteering.
Are you still waiting on results for the interviews? You should do DO shadowing right now, since you will need that to apply to some DO schools anyway and no harm in listing on your next app if need be. I think you may receive 1 maybe 2 more invites if you haven't been rejected yet. I suspect you will get accepted. I would look to polish the essays, maybe work with some underserved communities for clinical volunteering if possible. But stick with the Mardi Gras Rule.

I'm still waiting on the results of both interviews. As far as DO shadowing goes, I work with several DOs in the ED, and could probably get a letter through one of them pretty easily. Is additional DO shadowing recommended as well in most cases? I've been rejected so far from Arizona, Mayo, Rochester and Hofstra. NYMC placed me on a pre II hold. No word from Oakland, UVA, Colorado, Emory, Loyola, Quinnipiac, EVMS, Jefferson, VCU, Vermont, or Michigan.

I dont think you need to shadow a DO if you have a letter. @Goro could perhaps chime in decisively.

That being said.
Oakland loves service - Maybe your essays might trigger something in them.
UVA,uMich -stats too low for OOS.

You have a decent shot at the others(EVMS,VCU, Jefferson, Vermont), maybe 1 II out of the others this late in the cycle.

I think you are going to be fine, you are a pretty sharp memer, im sure that came through during interviews. I would accept you based on your skill with the meme's alone.

Something that I am not sure about is if schools screen on type of EC as well, like if they say we want someone who has done research and shadow and clinical volunteer and screen you before they even realize you scribed which incorporates elements of clinical volunteering experience and employment experience. If they do screen based on something stupid like that it wouldnt be a bad idea just to clinical volunteer and shadow just to box tick for future cycles.

An update stating that you were just starting something is worthless.

Ha thanks. I would definitely appreciate any @Goro input on whether I should be targeting DO or just ride out this MD cycle as well. I'm also kicking around the idea about submitting an update letter to schools that look favorably upon these things. My concern is that my update would pretty much just be starting a clinical research position and maybe some shadowing. Can any adcoms comment on whether this would just be seen as whining/begging or if this is a worthwhile update?

A thing to keep in mind is state schools especialy UVA and Mich will have higher MCAT averages for OOS applicants and lower averages for IS applicants. Your MCAT is good, but not uMich OOS applicant good!
I got accepted into UMich OOS w/ a 513

Attachments

• IMG_9322.JPG
    IMG_9322.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 212116
In all seriousness though, that's awesome for you. That must be exciting, but it's not awfully relevant to the topic though, which is: how can I improve my application for next year.
Was meant to be encouragement that their process seems to be pretty holistic. Recommend keeping them on the list.