Help me in understanding histology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gustavoreche

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm starting to study histology and I'm finding it kind boring. I began with epitelial tissue, and there are several types of it which relates to a part of the body. But I dont understand it, I dont grasp it. Ok, I know that simple squamous epithelia are found in capillaries or simple cuboidal epithelia are found on the surface of ovaries, but why is that? How these differences on epithelium counts?
You guys know some book, online courses that focus more in understanding?

Members don't see this ad.

As others have said, this is not a super high yield topic for the MCAT, but essentially there are reasons for each type of epithelium.

Squamous epithelia are usually designed to be barriers (like the skin, the oropharynx, endothelium). Skin epithelium is specialized in that it has an outer layer of keratin to further protect it from the outside world.

Columnar and cuboidal epithelia are typically designed to secrete something (ex glandular tissue).

Transitional epithelia are generally only found in the bladder and are specialized to change volume easily.