Help me narrow my list! from 6 to 5 schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pocketflan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats: 32 MCAT, 3.3 sci gpa, 3.4 overall

I only want to apply to 5 schools for financial reasons. If possible I would like to go to schools with the following priorities:
1. Better established / higher prestige (I know that sounds bad but I feel like I can be a little more choosey with my MCAT)
2. Lower tuition (not as big of a concern)

Which one should I eliminate?
The schools:
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
Des Moines College of Osteopathic Medicine
Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine

Thank you in advance!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I only want to apply to 5 schools for financial reasons. If possible I would like to go to schools with the following priorities:
1. Better established / higher prestige (I know that sounds bad but I feel like I can be a little more choosey with my MCAT)
2. Lower tuition (not as big of a concern)

The schools:
Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific

Thank you in advance!!:)

Id do it by location...keep CCOM & DMU and then knock off the place you'd least like to live.

Unless you are from Cali or NY, I would take out Western or NY...(I think a fair majority would tell you to take out RVU, since SDN seems to hate that its for profit)

Prestige amount the listed schools is negligible, regardless of what others may say. Its true that CCOM and DMU might have a slight advantage there, but its a bit subjective really

The schools:
this

Members don't see this ad :)
What is you state of residence, either NYCOM or Western gotta go...they both have relatively strong state/regional preferences.
But Rocky Vista is the newest out of them so it would be the least prestigious in that sense.

Last edited:
and if you are looking for established schools and prestige, RVU, Western, and NY should be replaced with KCUMB, KCOM, and any state DO school you might be a resident in. if you don't have a public DO school, add PCOM if you are in the area.

RVU and prestige are in the same sentence...Wow !!! RVU should definitely be out..

I'm going to echo Frsky's advice, replace NYCOM and RVU with KCUMB and a state school (UMDNJ, OUCOM, OSUCOM) or PCOM. If you did not choose PCOM in the previous selection, decide based on whether you're an East coaster (PCOM) or if you're a West coaster (Western) to select.

Thanks for the input guys- I am a MN resident, so no DO schools here. I'm reconsidering NY and RVU at this point

Kick out RVU.

K so I've decided to kick out RVU and NY. Now I'm just deciding whether to add KCUMB or KCOM. Is there any regional preferences, high costs, or any other factors that would tip the scale for one or the other?

K so I've decided to kick out RVU and NY. Now I'm just deciding whether to add KCUMB or KCOM. Is there any regional preferences, high costs, or any other factors that would tip the scale for one or the other?

add them both. Really...its not that much more.

EDIT: I've decided on KCUMB. Thanks for all your help

KCOM > KCUMB imo.