Help me out ! I am freaking here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmeoutplease

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
background info - SO i just finished 4th year right now and will be graduating next year with BS . I am taking my MCAT this coming september.
History - I was involved in academic dishonesty 2 years ago. involvement was cheating and once i was caught , i accepted my guilt. I went through conduct committee and everything, and after explaining that it was brutal but amateur mistake ( lot of other reason why i did it too) . After hearing my reason, the committee placed me on probation. My transcript doesnot show that i was ever placed on probation or cheated but i did get F in that class though.
My overall and sGPA is 3.0 solid. i am not even going to bother applying to Medical or D.O school cause i know i am pretty much toast. But if i was wondering if i still have chance in caribbean medical school or i am pretty much toast because of the probation.
I know i did cheat but i learned alot from it. I know 2 years to 3 year might not be enough to connivence med school that i have matured but i did get involved in lots of clubs , helping out, volunteering after this incident. which made me some what a better person. blah blah blah ...
MOST likely i will apply with explaining my incident, but there is always a second thought that since its not on my transcript, then i shouldn't .
Does anybody think i might have chance in caribbean if i explain everything to them ? or i am pretty much toast for any medical school. DID anybody get into medical school with probation?

Members don't see this ad.

Lol 3.0 GPA isn't solid, but I don't see why you can't go DO if you get an MCAT over 31 (unless things have changed drastically in the past 3 years).

If you don't get in, it'll have to do more with your maturity than your stats.

You weren't punished for cheating, you were punished for getting caught.

Sent from my phone. No, I wont tell you which one.

Lol 3.0 GPA isn't solid, but I don't see why you can't go DO if you get an MCAT over 31 (unless things have changed drastically in the past 3 years).

do you mean not getting because of getting caught or maturity in general ?

Members don't see this ad :)

do you mean not getting in because of getting caught or maturity in general ?

Don't go to the carribbean. Rock the MCAT, maybe do a post-bac and rock that, and re-apply to US MD and DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread belongs in Pre-Allo.

If you go to the Caribbean, you won't have much of a shot at a US residency, which means you won't have much of a shot of practicing in the US. Getting caught for academic dishonesty is a huge red flag, and it's difficult to say whether or not it'll be overlooked by anyone, US or Caribbean.

If a career in medicine is what you truly want to do, why not get a job as an EMT and prove your worth there for a year? If you have shown your maturity rather than just explaining it, schools will be much more apt to accept you. Especially DO schools, who are more likely to accept nontraditional applicants. I wouldn't leave the states... I would probably do anything before I left the states. Unless you want to practice out of the country for a long time. Schools love applicants who show their commitment to and love for their communities.. Stick with that.

By the way, blah blah blah doesn't make it seem like you value your most recent endeavors or regret cheating as much as you regret getting caught.

If a career in medicine is what you truly want to do, why not get a job as an EMT and prove your worth there for a year? If you have shown your maturity rather than just explaining it, schools will be much more apt to accept you. Especially DO schools, who are more likely to accept nontraditional applicants. I wouldn't leave the states... I would probably do anything before I left the states. Unless you want to practice out of the country for a long time. Schools love applicants who show their commitment to and love for their communities.. Stick with that.

By the way, blah blah blah doesn't make it seem like you value your most recent endeavors or regret cheating as much as you regret getting caught.
thank you very much, i was looking into EMT as well.
i wrote blah blah because i didn't want to this be like another thread where i am explaining how i got over it because that would have taken forever.

Reactions: 1 user
thank you very much, i was looking into EMT as well.
i wrote blah blah because i didn't want to this be like another thread where i am explaining how i got over it because that would have taken forever.
not getting over it but how i regret cheating. my main purpose of this thread was to ask if i still have any chance.

You can definitely still get in. You just have to be smart with what choices you make now. Your priorities should be proving your maturity (Not just speaking about it... show it through community service, medical shadowing, the EMT job, post-bach, etc... basically pick anything you're passionate about and devote yourself to that), increasing your GPA, and acing your mcat.

A 3.0 gpa is still low for most DO med schools. Many of them have cut-offs around there. That doesn't mean it won't be possible for you to get in. Either increase it or really do your research about DO schools and apply strategically.

I would also highly recommend that you talk to a Deans of Admissions at a school and with their help, make a plan. I've heard a lot interviews of students who talked to admissions at their #1 choice school, set up a plan to improve their candidacy, followed through with the 1-2 year plan (while keeping in touch with Dean and emailing him/her updates), and then when they applied to the school years later, that Dean knew him/her, were highly impressed that the person actually executed the plan and showed determination. This also shows a lot of maturity and courage and requires good communication skills. Just a thought.

Basically, don't get discouraged and go to Caribbean. If you've actually matured and this is something you really want, then there's definitely a way to get there.

You can definitely still get in. You just have to be smart with what choices you make now. Your priorities should be proving your maturity (Not just speaking about it... show it through community service, medical shadowing, the EMT job, post-bach, etc... basically pick anything you're passionate about and devote yourself to that), increasing your GPA, and acing your mcat.

A 3.0 gpa is still low for most DO med schools. Many of them have cut-offs around there. That doesn't mean it won't be possible for you to get in. Either increase it or really do your research about DO schools and apply strategically.

I would also highly recommend that you talk to a Deans of Admissions at a school and with their help, make a plan. I've heard a lot interviews of students who talked to admissions at their #1 choice school, set up a plan to improve their candidacy, followed through with the 1-2 year plan (while keeping in touch with Dean and emailing him/her updates), and then when they applied to the school years later, that Dean knew him/her, were highly impressed that the person actually executed the plan and showed determination. This also shows a lot of maturity and courage and requires good communication skills. Just a thought.

Basically, don't get discouraged and go to Caribbean. If you've actually matured and this is something you really want, then there's definitely a way to get there.
thanks you, that brought my hopes up.