Help me out, i need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThrustOwnage

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i want to apply for med school next year.
my gpa is 2.65 and my science gpa is a 2.96.
my mcat is 7,6,8 K
i was wondering if i should take the mcat? i hear that students just need to be very personable in their interview and grades and mcat doesnt matter, because its all about being a friendly person during interview.i see a lot of people saying they got Cs and Ds and are fine and are at washU so i figure i will be ok. is my thinking reasonable?

Members don't see this ad.

ThrustOwnage said:
my mcat is 7,6,8 K
i was wondering if i should take the mcat? i hear that students just need to be very personable in their interview and grades and mcat doesnt matter, because its all about being a friendly person during interview.i see a lot of people saying they got Cs and Ds and are fine and are at washU so i figure i will be ok. is my thinking reasonable?

no, everyschool cares about numbers to some degree. You should see a pre-medical advisor. They will probably recommend a post-bacc program so that you can show your ability to achieve better grade.

I don't want to be mean, but I can't tell if this is a joke.

In case it's not:

Yes, you need to be personable during your interview, but you'll never get one without good grades and mcat scores. People get Cs and Ds, but I think it's that they only have one or two. Even then, and especially if it's any more than that, there's probably extenuating cirumstances.

As well, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but most schools won't take pre-reqs that are C or below?

You should get an MSAR and look at the average scores and range of scores of people who were accepted. And then maybe retake the mcats and look at post-bacc programs?

Am I really gullible?

Members don't see this ad :)
Camillekc said:
I don't want to be mean, but I can't tell if this is a joke.

In case it's not:

Yes, you need to be personable during your interview, but you'll never get one without good grades and mcat scores. People get Cs and Ds, but I think it's that they only have one or two. Even then, and especially if it's any more than that, there's probably extenuating cirumstances.

As well, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but most schools won't take pre-reqs that are C or below?

You should get an MSAR and look at the average scores and range of scores of people who were accepted. And then maybe retake the mcats and look at post-bacc programs?

Am I really gullible?

pretty new user. I thinks they are probably sincere.

this is definitely a b.s. thread.

my mcat is 7,6,8 K
i was wondering if i should take the mcat? i hear that students just need to be very personable in their interview and grades and mcat doesnt matter, because its all about being a friendly person during interview.i see a lot of people saying they got Cs and Ds and are fine and are at washU so i figure i will be ok. is my thinking reasonable

If you notice he said he posted his mcat score, then said "should i take the mcat" also he said that i heard that grade and mcat doesn't matter which either means he is ignorant/lacking common sense/troll.

the post just seems too ignorant to be real.

Hermit MMood said:
this is definitely a b.s. thread.

my mcat is 7,6,8 K
i was wondering if i should take the mcat? i hear that students just need to be very personable in their interview and grades and mcat doesnt matter, because its all about being a friendly person during interview.i see a lot of people saying they got Cs and Ds and are fine and are at washU so i figure i will be ok. is my thinking reasonable

If you notice he said he posted his mcat score, then said "should i take the mcat" also he said that i heard that grade and mcat doesn't matter which either means he is ignorant/lacking common sense/troll.

the post just seems too ignorant to be real.

maybe english is their second language. If this is a bs thread, then they are really stupid, because the post isn't even funny. not outrageous enough.

This is pretty obviously a troll.

Or a regular user of the board signing up a 2nd SN and trying to be funny.

Also, you can't get a K on the MCAT writing. It's scored J-T.

wow. Finals week has raped my brain.

Send me back to kindergarten? :laugh:

I'm keepin' this up for posterity. ;)

seilienne said:
wow. Finals week has raped my brain.

Send me back to kindergarten? :laugh:

I'm keepin' this up for posterity. ;)

:laugh: but i bet you know which euk. you can pick up from a toilet seat that causes an std.

Gross, by the way.

seilienne said:
Also, you can't get a K on the MCAT writing. It's scored J-T.

hey seilienne, since you don't know the correct order of the alphabet, i assume you are in the same situation i am in. Also, i read that med school in the caribbeans is a good choice for highly personable people who just cant get high enough stats (who needs stats).

ThrustOwnage said:
hey seilienne, since you don't know the correct order of the alphabet, i assume you are in the same situation i am in. Also, i read that med school in the caribbeans is a good choice for highly personable people who just cant get high enough stats (who needs stats).

:laugh:

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

ThrustOwnage said:
As someone who has already gone thru med school, I can tell you that grades do matter. Don't think that grades are important just to get into med school; there's a reason for that anyway. If you can't consistently maintain good grades as an undergrad, chances are you won't be able to handle medical school. Normally, people who enter medical school are cut-throat overachievers (yes, admit it everyone), but they get slammed with an enormous amount of rather difficult material and have to study day and night just to pass. As an undergrad, I considered a B to be an abysmal grade. Yet after the initial shock of medical school, I had to change my standards to be happy with barely passing grades. So my advice to you is if your grades are low because you're a slacker, then pick up the slack and show what you're capable of. On the other hand, if you are simply an average student, medical school really isn't for you. I'm not saying this to be mean; I'm just being realistic.

Hermit MMood said:

Maybe he meant to say "retake."

Teerawit said:
Maybe he meant to say "retake."

thank you for explaning my typographical error, teerawit. you seem to be the only person who can sympasize with my problem, whilel others make fun of me.
its not my fault my classes are hard and no one ever gets above a C in them

ThrustOwnage said:
thank you for explaning my typographical error, teerawit. you seem to be the only person who can sympasize with my problem, whilel others make fun of me.
its not my fault my classes are hard and no one ever gets above a C in them

Well, it looks like you got above a C in most of them with that GPA.

If you are a serious poster, you need to read the FAQ at the top of the page. You should find a great deal of help in the "What are my Chances?" section.

You should definitely plan to retake the MCAT.