Help me pick a major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chardeemacdennis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to decide on a major. I know major doesn't matter for med school and I just want to find something I can fill my brain with.

I have changed my major 7 times in two years: psychology to chemistry to comp sci to chemistry to nursing to anthropology to biology (current.)

I'm really interested in (astro)physics but I'm afraid it will be too hard with the math. I like biology and I'm really good at memorizing but I don't want to spend 4 years memorizing things, I want to change the way I think. I hate psychology after earning an AA in it, it's too easy (4.0 psych GPA.) Anthropology is boring to me.
I like things that are concrete and real and I like the way it feels to get the right answer after a really long and difficult chemistry problem.

I'm sick of changing my major and really just want to find something I like and I'm good at.

How did you choose a major? I'm freaking out I need to pick one if I want to graduate on time :(

Members don't see this ad.

You're describing majors in very basic terms. Maybe think about the fields of study more in terms of what opportunities are offered post-graduation and what you would like to do after college. Even if you're dead set on medicine, which major can best prepare you to learn more about the medical field, develop your critical thinking skills, and maybe provide you with research opportunities that will help you grow?

Does your school have either a neuroscience/neurobiology or biochemistry major? Those might be a bit more interesting than straight psychology or biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like you said, your major doesn't matter. Not even just for medical school; your major rarely matters ever in the "real world". Choose something that will get you out of undergrad with the highest GPA and with a big smile on your face. I loved my major even though I rarely use it.

Reactions: 1 user
Biology, Biomedical Sciences, or Biochemistry. Buckle up for the MCAT :)

Thanks Everyone!

If I major in biochemistry a double major with Chemistry is only 4 extra classes. Is that worth it? Those 4 classes are going to be quite difficult, but if I don't get into med school I have a more marketable degree...

SO FAR at my CC I have a 4.0 bcpm gpa although when I transfer I am assuming it won't stay that way.

(I'm transferring to UCI by the way.)

PHYSICS! All other classes become a joke compared to upper division physics classes. IT IS HARD! But it's more satisfying to solve a problem than memorize a bunch of things.

Thanks Everyone!

If I major in biochemistry a double major with Chemistry is only 4 extra classes. Is that worth it? Those 4 classes are going to be quite difficult, but if I don't get into med school I have a more marketable degree...

SO FAR at my CC I have a 4.0 bcpm gpa although when I transfer I am assuming it won't stay that way.

(I'm transferring to UCI by the way.)

If you feel like you can be successful in those four classes, definitely go for it. It's up to you to take the gamble - how much more marketable will a chemistry degree make you? Realistically, for most sciences, an undergrad degree isn't getting you super far anyways.

Reactions: 1 user