Help me please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trango

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all..

ok I really need help, can someone please tell me what my chances are.. im 23 an african american student at the University of Washington.. with a 3.0 sciences GPA. with a major in cultural anthropology.. I have done three years of volunteer work. doing mentoring and shawdowing a DO.. I have not taken the MCATs yet, but plan on to this summer.. Just based on what you see of me, what are my chances of getting into a DO school. Considering also that im an underrepresented minority. I would appreciate your responses

Members don't see this ad.

I would get used to dropping the mention of African-American or underrepresented minority...etc. It will progressively become less relevant over the next two years as all three branches of federal government become REPUBLICAN DOMINATED!!! Yes, watch the next two Supreme Court Justice Selections! Finally, that unconstitutional BULL**** will end as affirmative action burns to dust!! THE REPUBLICANS HAVE COME....AND THEY WILL SET MY PEOPLE FREE!!

dean whatever: JAAAAAAAAACKASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

------------------
siul

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, drop the "I'm an African American & underrepresented minority BS." You are a pre-med student just like the rest of us busting our a@* trying to get into med school. Look in the mirror and ask yourself, " Am I going to play the race card" or am I going to enter the application field with the rest of the bunch with your sites on becoming a physician. You want to be a physician, that is great, but please quit using the "I'm black and should get in with lower numbers attitude." That just pisses me off. Grow up and compete with everyone else on a level playing field!!

Maybe the inquiry of Trango which focused on the issue of race was a nieve one, but there didn't seem to be an intentional ignorance involved. Everyone else who replied with an opinion on the "race issue" without due process of face shame on you.

There are a number of states currently which have challenged the "minority" laws. California is one of which I am sure has overturned at least at present any incentives for state schools monetarily wise for accepting minorities vs. non.

Other states are challenging this also.

Right to the point. Private shools, of which most DO. Schools belong, do not necessarily subscribe the the minority "advantage theory". Personally, candidates from all walks of life should be considered for their overall attributes.

Take the MCAT's and then most people will have a basis with which to judge your qualifications. Certainly moreso than with your race and GPA alone.

trango:

Cultural Anthropology is an interesting an fairly uncommon major. (I would imagine) That is a plus. AdComs like to see a variety of majors in the people that apply and in the people that they interview.
3.0 GPA is a bit low. If you could get that up to 3.2 by the time you apply, you will be in much better shape. Maybe a year of graduate school would be beneficial to help that GPA.
Work hard for the MCATs...get a 30 or better.
The 3 years of volunteering and shadowing is great.
How about leadership positions? What organizations have you been involved with on campus? Has your volunteer work been in a hospital, or have you done anything in the community? How about in a poorer section of your town/city?
What about life experience? Done anything outstanding in your life? Traveled, church missionary work, or anything like that?

If you can do very well academically and be involved enough so that your race/ethnicity doesn't even matter on an application...THEN you are set to apply to Medical School.
You will not get into Medical School because you are an underrepresented minority. You will get in because they think you can make a good doctor.

Show them you can become the BEST doctor...regardless of your race/ethnicity.

Helping hands come in all colors.

Best of luck to you.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"