HELP ME PLS : Buffalo vs. Howard vs. Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premedgirly22

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Buffalo
ProsCons
In-State TuitionFar from home (7 hours) + support system
Basically brand new facilitiesMore expensive living expenses
Very warm and collaborative atmosphereBrutal winters
Walking distance to so many hospitalsin - house exams
Easy commute to and from a potential apartment
Strong research focus + has own research opportunities
Early clinical experiences + new curriculum
Global Health trips
P/f

Howard
ProsCons
Very warm and collaborative atmosphereHigher cost
Not too far from home + closer to friendsMore expensive living expenses
HBCUNot true p/f
NIH = close by for research opportunitiesThe administration doesn’t seem to be super on top of things
Large emphasis on working with minority communitiesOlder Facilities
Large + connected alumni network
Great clinical exposure + reputation for training black doctors
version of p/f
Integrated curriculum

Downstate (still on the waitlist just being hopeful and thinking ahead)
ProsCons
Close to home + support systemNot the safest neighborhood
Integrated pathways curriculum (early clinical exposure)Longish commute to and from school
Dedication to urban and immigrant healthOlder facilities
Step-modeled examsThere seem to be many issues with the administration
Better weatherLarger class size
True P/F
Pathways based on interests
In-state tuition
Ability to form more connections where I want to do my residency
 
Last edited:
I think I'd probably go with Buffalo, especially if you don't get off the WL at Downstate. When I looked at schools a few years back, I was pretty impressed with Buffalo. Being far from family is tough, but it has so many other 'pros' going for it. If you get off WL, then maybe a tougher decision.
 
Tough one. Howard places really well. I roomed with a guy in Boston while we did away rotations at Mass Gen - he matched there in Ortho. Not saying you can't do that from Buffalo but everyone I met from Howard loved it.
 
I wanted to stop by and thank you for formatting your post like this; it's so easy to digest!

With that being said: Buffalo was one of my top choices when I applied because of its location and research. I didn't apply to Howard but I grew up in the DC area and it is extremely expensive to live around there; a studio apartment within the city and within walking distance to a metro station will set you back at least $1800 dollars if you want to live alone. Driving in DC is also a nightmare but public transportation (metro, buses) are amazing if you can find places near stops! Both schools have great hospitals with tons of residency programs, although when I was looking into Buffalo they did not have a PM&R residency (not a big deal but something to note I guess). From your own pros and cons list, I would go with Buffalo! You seem like you would be happier there, especially considering the cost of Howard.