Help me to choose between TSU and Texas Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

granogranalda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got in to both of these schools and was wondering where i should go. I am currently living in Houston right now and since TSU is also located in Houston, it will be a big convenience for me. I don't have to pay rent and i can live with my parents. I can save about 30-35 thou by choosing TSU. On the other hand, Texas Tech has a really good reputation and facilities and also,I heard, good clinical trainings. If i wanted to go work in an industrial pharmacy field or if i want to continue with my education to become an MD later on, is it gonna matter which school of pharmacy i graduate from? Please give me your advise about which school i have to go to. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have some friends at TSU that you trust their honest opinions ask them. Perks to TSU though. Faculty that really cares that you learn the information, your going to get close with your classmates who are real friendly usually, and all your classes are in one building so you see the same people everyday! Theres a lot of crap outside the pharmacy building your gonna put up with, like financial aid, registration your gonna get frustrated I promise, but once you start the semester you can focus on school. And another thing the pharmacy building is just an average building its not super nice or naything which is different from what you said about Texas Tech. And you know nice things make u feel comfortable like U of H library, I could stay in there all day and never go home! But yea, dont expect that at TSU just average facilities. ANyways good luck!

I got in to both of these schools and was wondering where i should go. I am currently living in Houston right now and since TSU is also located in Houston, it will be a big convenience for me. I don't have to pay rent and i can live with my parents. I can save about 30-35 thou by choosing TSU.

It sounds like TSU is the better deal if you can save all that cash. It doesn't really matter where you go for Pharmacy school if you want to continue. If I were you, I'd definitely go to TSU so I could save as much cash as possible and then use that saved money to help pay for a MD. Going to TSU is the smart move IMO.

That has to be the funniest question I've read in a long time. Take my honest advice as a student from TSU: "GO TO TECH". Run away from TSU like the plague. Yes, you will become a pharmacist if you graduate from TSU, however; it will be an uphill battle to get a job in any industry. TSU has a terrrible reputation and everyone knows it; most importantly the companies. I ask all my friends in hospital pharm if they know any TSU grads... NO. At the recruiting events during the year, CVS sends all Indian reps and Walgreens sends all Black reps. I'm just stating the facts, so if anyone wants to scream "racist"... bite me. For the summer internship, all TSU students got put in the boonies. All UH and Tech (probably UT also) got put in the "nice" areas of Houston. I have the Walgreens Intern Word Doc in my hand.

Run. Run far away. 35K is a lot of money, but I guarantee you it's worth it.

I like texas tech. don't balk at a school just because of the town it's in.

I'm from DFW and I love the dry, cool, traffic-less weather. :thumbup:

That has to be the funniest question I've read in a long time. Take my honest advice as a student from TSU: "GO TO TECH". Run away from TSU like the plague. Yes, you will become a pharmacist if you graduate from TSU, however; it will be an uphill battle to get a job in any industry. TSU has a terrrible reputation and everyone knows it; most importantly the companies. I ask all my friends in hospital pharm if they know any TSU grads... NO. At the recruiting events during the year, CVS sends all Indian reps and Walgreens sends all Black reps. I'm just stating the facts, so if anyone wants to scream "racist"... bite me. For the summer internship, all TSU students got put in the boonies. All UH and Tech (probably UT also) got put in the "nice" areas of Houston. I have the Walgreens Intern Word Doc in my hand.

RxBlitzRx,
Is there any truth to the accreditation status rumor of TSU? Are the faculty and staff doing anything about it, or is it simply a rumor?

I know nothing about TSU besides what I read in the newspaper. My favorite retail pharmacist is a TSU grad and a heck of nice guy. Tech has a great reputation, and the NAPLEX scores to back it up. But hey, the decision is yours, and I wouldn't let this forum/thread determine where I would spend the next 4 years of my life. 30-35 grand sounds like alot, but if you've lived in Houston all your life, you may benefit from the change of scenery and a new experience. The government will not allow TSU to shut down. Don't worry about that.

Why wouldnt the govt allow TSU to shut down? IF TSU is doing something wrong then there's no reason for it stay open. Enron was doing something wrong and the govt shut that down. Once again, I do hope that it stays accredited but to say that it's just rumors when there are articles about it in the newspaper is for the individual to be irresponsible. If I was applying to a school and there were ?'s about their accreditation, I would find out as much as I can about it. You're right, don't base your decision off of this forum/thread, but I would call the school and even the state board of pharmacy to see what happens to a pharmacy student once a school's accreditation is taken away, IF that happens to TSU that is; hopefully it doesn't.

Help me to choose between Xavier or University of The Incarnate Word...

Help me to choose between Xavier or University of The Incarnate Word...

dude, you already have a dedicated thread asking the same question. :rolleyes:

granogranalda, I think the question is where do you feel you will be more successful? Living at home might be easier for some but more of a distraction for others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like texas tech. don't balk at a school just because of the town it's in.

I'm from DFW and I love the dry, cool, traffic-less weather. :thumbup:

Heck yeah! I'm from DFW as well and after a few trips to Amarillo now... I second that!

Thats bull****. And your full of horse**** for staying @ TSU if thats what you truely believe. I know TSU grads. 6 total, 4 are STORE MANAGERS at Walgreens, one was Pharmacists of the Year @ St Lukes Episcopal in 2002, and plenty of other pharmacists come throuhg in the Pharmacy orientation Class and tell their SUCCESS stories. Ive never heard of ANY pharmacists Ive worked with saying they've had problems with getting jobs. Ive even asked some of them if I should transfer to UH to get into Pharm school there and they said no, TSU you will know your S*** and thats whats gonna make you move up in the company. Not where u graduated from. Get your facts straight. Straight up.

Thats bull****. And your full of horse**** for staying @ TSU if thats what you truely believe. I know TSU grads. 6 total, 4 are STORE MANAGERS at Walgreens, one was Pharmacists of the Year @ St Lukes Episcopal in 2002, and plenty of other pharmacists come throuhg in the Pharmacy orientation Class and tell their SUCCESS stories. Ive never heard of ANY pharmacists Ive worked with saying they've had problems with getting jobs. Ive even asked some of them if I should transfer to UH to get into Pharm school there and they said no, TSU you will know your S*** and thats whats gonna make you move up in the company. Not where u graduated from. Get your facts straight. Straight up.

ok. TRUELY and honestly, that is what i believe. i TRUELY think tsu is a really bad school. i TRUELY don't believe that you will "know your S***" any better than someone at tech. i TRUELY have my facts straight.

I honestly believe that TSU is an excellent school and if the original poster can go there and save a bunch of cash then that's what he/she should do. There's nothing wrong with going to TSU.

Who are you trying to convince... yourself??? TSU as a school (not just the Pharmacy division) is questionable. See link below

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon.../DN-tsu_19tex.ART.State.Edition1.438a721.html

http://www.facultyvoice.com/Editorials/Faculty%20Voices/FV01.html

this is a link to a letter from a tsu faculty member speaking about tsu and its pharmacy school...

I just got accepted to pharmacy school at tsu but after some research I am hesistant to go there...

anybody have any suggestions...if i should go to Xavier, TSU, or University of the Incarnate Word?

got accepted to all three...

http://www.facultyvoice.com/Editorials/Faculty Voices/FV01.html

this is a link to a letter from a tsu faculty member speaking about tsu and its pharmacy school...

I just got accepted to pharmacy school at tsu but after some research I am hesistant to go there...

anybody have any suggestions...if i should go to Xavier, TSU, or University of the Incarnate Word?

did you know that link is from 2002?

nobody can tell you where to go but yourself and maybe your parents. visit the schools and walk around campus to see what it's like. you're going to be there for the next 4 years.

TSU's accreditation is not in trouble because the governor will appoint a new board or regents. right now the only problem at TSU is that they do not have a president.

Xavier and Incarnate Word is $$$$....I'd say TSU > any of the other two. However, Tech > TSU for sure. I've talked to current pharmacy students and they say the best in Texas are Tech, UH, UT. (Based on conventions and them interacting...)

hey txpharmD2b...but besides the cost of the schools...where would you go between TSU and Incarnate word...in regards to the education...

Incarnate word has a new program with a founding dean that has established two schools already that have been accredited...they have a new energy about them...wanting to the best...

TSU has already been established but their Naplex passing rates are below those of UH Tech and UT...

i just dont want to get a pharm D and work retail...im planning on pursuing more education...

so what do you think txpharmD2b...?

TSU had low Naplex passing rate because they preferred to accept their own students, even with low stats. But they have been adjusting the situation in the recent years. You cannot blame the school just because of low passing rate. When it comes to national exam, I think part of it depends on the diligence and intelligence of each student.

So, my advice is, if you have money and dun care about the location, you can go wherever "good" school you think. It all depends on what your first priority is.:cool:

I got in to both of these schools and was wondering where i should go. I am currently living in Houston right now and since TSU is also located in Houston, it will be a big convenience for me. I don't have to pay rent and i can live with my parents. I can save about 30-35 thou by choosing TSU. On the other hand, Texas Tech has a really good reputation and facilities and also,I heard, good clinical trainings. If i wanted to go work in an industrial pharmacy field or if i want to continue with my education to become an MD later on, is it gonna matter which school of pharmacy i graduate from? Please give me your advise about which school i have to go to. Thank you.

Thought I would put my two cents in... I know nothing about TSU, since I did not even apply there but I can tell you that I really like Tech. The teachers care more here than they ever did in undergrad. Most of them are very approachable and I feel that I am getting a really good education. As for the clinical aspect... it is true. You will be well trained for clinical positions when you leave here. You should decide kind of which direction you want to go and use that when you make the decision. In some cases you can get a clinical job straight out of tech without a residency, depending on where you want to work. Saving money is great but in the long run does it matter that much?? You will be making enough in the end to pay off the loans at a comfortable pace. Living with your parents is great but will you be able to study enough and will that get in the way? I know I would kill my parents if I had lived with them during my first year. Hope that helps

I cann't believe you and I are in the same class. Honestly you are full of **** and you need to stop all this crap already.
If you hate TSU that much, sit out a year and I applied to UH. You are confident you are going to be accepted there and they will probably offer you what you are looking for. Why are you wasting your time attending a school you have this much hatred for.

QUOTE=rxblitzrx;5145841]That has to be the funniest question I've read in a long time. Take my honest advice as a student from TSU: "GO TO TECH". Run away from TSU like the plague. Yes, you will become a pharmacist if you graduate from TSU, however; it will be an uphill battle to get a job in any industry. TSU has a terrrible reputation and everyone knows it; most importantly the companies. I ask all my friends in hospital pharm if they know any TSU grads... NO. At the recruiting events during the year, CVS sends all Indian reps and Walgreens sends all Black reps. I'm just stating the facts, so if anyone wants to scream "racist"... bite me. For the summer internship, all TSU students got put in the boonies. All UH and Tech (probably UT also) got put in the "nice" areas of Houston. I have the Walgreens Intern Word Doc in my hand.

Run. Run far away. 35K is a lot of money, but I guarantee you it's worth it.[/QUOTE]