Help me with midwest schools to apply to!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovetoBE MD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay...so I am really stupid for asking this, but I thought this would be the best place to get some help.
I am from the midwest, and am having alot of trouble trying to figure out what schools to apply to. I have applied to my state medical school, and have consulted the MSAR book, but it seems that the schools are mostly state schools that really only take their residents. Are there other schools that you all know of, around the midwest that I am not aware of?
thanks for all your help...I am kind of new at this!

Members don't see this ad.

You should first figure out what schools are reasonable to apply to (i.e. will they accept you?). What is your GPA/MCAT?

Iowa takes 30% out of state, that's the highest I've seen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which state are you from? In Ohio, CWRU accepts 40% out of state (it has an odd private school with state funding status) and U. Cincinnati accepts about 10% out of state. Not great but better than nothing. Loyola and Rush (Chicago) are both private, and there is U. Chicago, although that is very competitive.

From what i read at medschool.com, Penn State has 60% out of state, UMich tries to have a 50% out of state class.

MCW takes about 50% out of state

St. Louis, Creighton, Northwestern, Pitt

Illinois has one of the highest number of med schools in the country. Here's my take:

Northwestern- private, takes many out-of-staters, highly competitive (3.7, 30+).

U. Chicago- private, many out-of-state, highly competitive (3.64, 30+)

Loyola (Stritch)- private, many out-of-state, religious affiliation (could be a problem if you have strong views on abortion etc.)

Rush- 50/50 out of state

U. of Illinois- mostly in state, unless applying for MD/PhD, then you are considered in-state regardless of your residency

Southern Illinois- must be in-state, mostly Southern Ill residents.

There may be more, but these are all I know about. Hope this helps...