Help me with my list please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemicalKat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm reapplying (for the third time :mad:) next cycle and would love some input on 1. which schools to apply to and 2. what the hell am I doing wrong?

I have a 3.89 GPA in biochemistry/nutrition sciences, 31q MCAT, Master's degree, excellent EC's, getting close to 200 volunteer hours with around 75 shadowing hours in counting. I am originally from Kansas and am still legally a resident of Kansas (I think) but currently live in Georgia for the last year. Therefore, MCG, Kansas, probably Mercer, and I guess I can keep Emory on as a pipe dream although I'm tempted to save my money. I have gotten interviews the last 2 years at Kansas (felt like the interviews went awful both times). I have very strong ties to Arkansas as well and got an interview this last cycle (felt like this interview went awesome but I guess not :mad:). I also have a good tie to New Mexico

So to summarize I will definantly apply to:
1. Kansas
2. MCG
3. Mercer
4. Arkansas
5. New Mexico

any others I should consider? I'd like to get to at least 10 schools. I would consider a DO school if the school fits. My interests are internal medicine, sports medicine, and oncology.

But seriously, why does it seem like some people get into Med school without any effort at all and others struggle for 4-5 years?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm reapplying (for the third time :mad:) next cycle and would love some input on 1. which schools to apply to and 2. what the hell am I doing wrong?

I have a 3.89 GPA in biochemistry/nutrition sciences, 31q MCAT, Master's degree, excellent EC's, getting close to 200 volunteer hours with around 75 shadowing hours in counting. I am originally from Kansas and am still legally a resident of Kansas (I think) but currently live in Georgia for the last year. Therefore, MCG, Kansas, probably Mercer, and I guess I can keep Emory on as a pipe dream although I'm tempted to save my money. I have gotten interviews the last 2 years at Kansas (felt like the interviews went awful both times). I have very strong ties to Arkansas as well and got an interview this last cycle (felt like this interview went awesome but I guess not :mad:). I also have a good tie to New Mexico

1. Kansas
2. MCG
3. Mercer
4. Arkansas
5. New Mexico

any others I should consider? I'd like to get to at least 10 schools. I would consider a DO school if the school fits. My interests are internal medicine, sports medicine, and oncology.

But seriously, why does it seem like some people get into Med school without any effort at all and others struggle for 4-5 years?

My guess is you're applying late and/or to the wrong schools . Your stats are fine.

Your stats are good enough for most mid tier schools so you are going to need to provide more info if you expect people to give you a list.

What type of curriculum are you interested in?
What part of the country are you open to moving to?
Big City or more suburban or rural?
Do rankings matter to you?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
also have you had people give input on your PS? do you have any red flags? how many schools are you applying to each year and how many interviews each year have you gotten? what date were you applying? these answers may help us help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.89 GPA in biochemistry/nutrition sciences, 31q MCAT, Master's degree, excellent EC's, getting close to 200 volunteer hours with around 75 shadowing hours in counting

Gender?
State of Residence?
when have you been submitting?
How old is your MCAT?
What is the breakdown of your MCAT?
Do you think you LORs are good?
Is your posted GPA from undergrad?
What is your science GPA?

My guess is you're applying late and/or to the wrong schools . Your stats are fine.

Your stats are good enough for most mid tier schools so you are going to need to provide more info if you expect people to give you a list.

What type of curriculum are you interested in?
What part of the country are you open to moving to?
Big City or more suburban or rural?
Do rankings matter to you?

I'm am not picky. I live near Atlanta and that town is wayyyy to big for me. So any school in New York/Boston/LA I'm probably not interested in. A midwest-style school I should fit nicely. Rankings matter to a point, yes I would like to get into the best school possible but I've been told that the Step 1 matters significantly more than the school you go to. I'm not going to waste my money on schools I can't get into though

also have you had people give input on your PS? do you have any red flags? how many schools are you applying to each year and how many interviews each year have you gotten? what date were you applying? these answers may help us help you.

Yes I have and I don't have any red flags. Nothing that significantly stands out. I got a C in a cooking class once.

This past year I applied to 8: Kansas, MCG, Emory, Arkansas, Mich St, Arizona, Central Florida, and Nebraska. I got my application in sometime in early September.

Gender?
State of Residence?
when have you been submitting?
How old is your MCAT?
What is the breakdown of your MCAT?
Do you think you LORs are good?
Is your posted GPA from undergrad?
What is your science GPA?

Male
Kansas/Georgia
September
2 years in August
11 V, 9 PS, 11 BS
I have no idea if my LOR's are good, is it weird to ask your references for a copy?
3.9 s

I'm am not picky. I live near Atlanta and that town is wayyyy to big for me. So any school in New York/Boston/LA I'm probably not interested in. A midwest-style school I should fit nicely. Rankings matter to a point, yes I would like to get into the best school possible but I've been told that the Step 1 matters significantly more than the school you go to. I'm not going to waste my money on schools I can't get into though

Some midwest schools you could consider.
Loyola. It's 15 minutes outside of Chicago, so it doesn't exactly have the big city feel.
SLU
MCW
Creighton

8 schools simply isn't enough. Try 15-20.

Kansas/Georgia

How do you have two state residencies? Are you sure about this?

Loyola. It's 15 minutes outside of Chicago, so it doesn't exactly have the big city feel.
SLU
MCW
Creighton

I agree with the above listed schools. Don't know if you need that many schools, though.

Kansas/Georgia

How do you have two state residencies? Are you sure about this?

I agree with the above listed schools. Don't know if you need that many schools, though.

As far as I know, Kansas allows you to work out of state temporarily for up to 5 years as long as you return after that. Not 100% sure on this though. I will be listed as a Georgia resident for this next cycle though for sure.

KUmed operates around KC, if I remember right. Granted, KC isn't comparable to LA/NY/ATL.

KUmed operates around KC, if I remember right. Granted, KC isn't comparable to LA/NY/ATL.

Yes I'd be perfectly comfortable in KC. As long as the city is not absolutely massive then I'm fine. I should also say that I'm willing to go any where coast to coast.

SLU
MCW
Creighton

I agree, I think I need more than 10. What is MCW by the way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I'd be perfectly comfortable in KC. As long as the city is not absolutely massive then I'm fine. I should also say that I'm willing to go any where coast to coast.

It isn't, I'd say it's reasonably sprawled. Not sure about the specific areas their campus is in though.

I agree, I think I need more than 10. What is MCW by the way?

Medical College of Wisconsin, I think.

As far as I know, Kansas allows you to work out of state temporarily for up to 5 years as long as you return after that. Not 100% sure on this though. I will be listed as a Georgia resident for this next cycle though for sure.
You can only be IS in one state.

Yes....MCW is Med Col of Wisc.

Since you're in Georgia, apply to USA. You have the minimum stats needed for an OOS applicant from a neighboring state (30 MCAT 3.6 GPA needed).

USA has very nice facilities and it seems to be "up and coming" ....especially with cancer research.

So apply to:
All Kansas SOMs
All Georgia SOMs
USA
Creighton
LSU
Loyola
MCW
Temple
Rosy
George Washington

Apply to a few reaches, but don't bother with Vandy, WashU or Tulane...they seem to be MCAT ******.

Since you're in Georgia, apply to USA. You have the minimum stats needed for an OOS applicant from a neighboring state (30 MCAT 3.6 GPA needed).

USA has very nice facilities and it seems to be "up and coming" ....especially with cancer research.

So apply to:
All Kansas SOMs
All Georgia SOMs
USA
Creighton
LSU
Loyola
MCW
Temple
Rosy
George Washington

Apply to a few reaches, but don't bother with Vandy, WashU or Tulane...they seem to be MCAT ******.

What's your opinion on my chances on some of the florida schools, specifically Central Florida?

So apply to:
All Kansas SOMs
All Georgia SOMs
USA
Creighton
LSU
Loyola
MCW
Temple
Rosy
George Washington

Why temple and gwu? I know they're not quite nyc, but philly and DC probably have the same undesirables.

Why temple and gwu? I know they're not quite nyc, but philly and DC probably have the same undesirables.

Never been to philly so I have no comment. DC is not my kind of town.

Love the input guys!

Never been to philly so I have no comment. DC is not my kind of town.

Love the input guys!

Philly is a big city too and temple is right downtown (more or less).... I don't think you'd like it either.

Apply earlier too, man. Like June/July? Also, what type of curriculum are you interested in? PBL? traditional two year preclinical? accelerated preclinical?

I included them as possibles for his stats.

Philly is a big city too and temple is right downtown (more or less).... I don't think you'd like it either.

Apply earlier too, man. Like June/July? Also, what type of curriculum are you interested in? PBL? traditional two year preclinical? accelerated preclinical?

Again, I'm not picky but I did love the PBL curriculum at Arkansas

1. Kansas
2. MCG
3. Mercer
4. Arkansas
5. New Mexico

Have you done any interview prep work? I'd recommend it... ask your undergrad pre-med office, or even hire an interview coach to do a mock interview.

Ask people for input on all your essays. I'm always surprised with how speed seems way more important for secondaries than quality on SDN. Ask your friends and family to read them and give advice. Ditto personal statement.

Again, I'm not picky but I did love the PBL curriculum at Arkansas

If you favor the PBL then do a quick search on here to find out what schools have a curriculum like that. I'm pretty sure Case Western and Virginia do?