1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Help me with what counts in MD science GPA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by HooahDOc, Apr 7, 2004.

1. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not familiar with AMCAS. My fiancee wants me to apply to my two state schools, even though I don't think I'll get in. As it stands my MD science GPA will max out at 3.28 if I play my cards right. However, I'm not sure if what I counted really counts. Would these classes count?

PSYC 460 (Physiological Psychology)
    PSYC 227 (Statistics for Behavioral Sciences)
    MATH 111 (College Algebra)
    MATH 122 (Applied Calculus)
    STAT 201 (Elementary STatistics)

Which of these MUST count in the BCMP GPA and which could go either way? I'm guessting STAT 201 and PSYC 227 can get by without being counted.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

I hear this. MATH 111, 122, 201 count for sure. All mathematics and science credits are in the SGPA.

PSYC 227, my guess is no ... but check on it with your school. Just bc its "statistics" doesn't mean it will count because its listed at PSYC ... but if they clear it, go for it man ... especially if it works to your benefit.

CCW

4. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    usually the safe way is to go by departamental listing

If its listed under the psych department, then its not a science UNLESS its cross-listed with the bio department.

i took phys psych, didnt count for me, but i thin it shoudl have.

5. physiological psych is questionable

stats for psychology... for me i put it under psych but i'm not sure.

6. medstylee

medstylee 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took stats for psych and amcas verified it as a math course, so it counted for me. i think all the rest will count. the rule of thumb seems to be that they take courses with the word "physiology" in the title but not with "psychology" in the title. so, that one class is a toss up. i'd put go for it as a bcpm course. if they don't take it they'll just change it themselves. it won't be a big deal.

7. damn! too late now! wait was your psych stats in the psych department or the stats department??

8. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

I took stats for econ and would rather it NOT count for my science GPA. Is there any chance that I can categorize this ECON class an an "other" and get away with it?

9. lilstina

lilstina diamond sweetpea
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i took physio psych and counted it as BCPM and AMCAS left it that way. sorry mike :D

10. traumamonkey

traumamonkey mid-level resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i took behavioral stats (stats for psych) and it was counted as BESS like all my other psych/soc courses as a psych major, not math/science. i guess i wish i'd known it could be otherwise...

11. SailCrazy

10+ Year Member

So do you think that if I list my Stats for Econ as an economics class rather than a stats class that I can keep it out of my BCPM GPA? Or will AMCAS include it upon audit?

12. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

it's the content of the course not the department that it is listed under. So, I listed a biopsych class as bio because it was all bio and it it they didn't change it. I called and had this confirmed too.

13. traumamonkey

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey sailcrazy, i guess you could call AMCAS to be sure, but i'd guess that you could keep it in ECON, especially if the course is listed as econ and offered through the econ department. i suppose there is always the risk of change upon audit, but they didn't change mine. i remember having the same question when i did my app, but honestly can't recal if i asked them or not...
    (i am blocking any memory of the application process that i can to avoid further trauma).

14. SailCrazy

10+ Year Member

Is there actually a "risk" if they change it upon audit?

I mean, is that a negative mark on my application if there is a change due to audit? Or is that considered part of the administrative process?

15. traumamonkey

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i don't think there's a risk, since obviously it could go either way. if you want to call and cover your bases that might be a good idea. i had a few things changed on mine and there weren't any repercussions.
    anyone else know?