HELP! My best friend is from China wants to be a dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoseyourdaddy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My best friend graduated from Beijing University and is currently a high school teacher.....Wants to go to Dental School , but we know nothing about the process ...Looking to get advice on transfering degree from China, as well as looking for affordable schooling. Need help with discovering the best route possible....Currently my friend lives in Xiamen and plans to move to California....The 2 schools I've looked at seem really expensive....U.O.P. as well as Loma Linda....Are there any other schools out there, and does anyone know about how much schooling it will take to qualify for the dental programs....Any help is appreciated....

Members don't see this ad.

that's real iffy. Did he or she take university biology, chemistry, biochem, English, physics, organic chem, inorganic chem, etc etc? Did she shadow a dentist? What about dat scores? U don't just want to be something without really asking these questions.

My best friend graduated from Beijing University and is currently a high school teacher.....Wants to go to Dental School , but we know nothing about the process ...Looking to get advice on transfering degree from China, as well as looking for affordable schooling. Need help with discovering the best route possible....Currently my friend lives in Xiamen and plans to move to California....The 2 schools I've looked at seem really expensive....U.O.P. as well as Loma Linda....Are there any other schools out there, and does anyone know about how much schooling it will take to qualify for the dental programs....Any help is appreciated....

There is an international dental forum that your friend can check out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok well the first thing your friend will need to do is take an English test. Long time ago it used to be called TOEFL but I know its changed. Once she passes that test then she has to apply to schools in the US. Schools in the southern US are cheaper as compared to the west coast. Once your friend gets admitted to school in US. She has to apply for non-immigrant visa through the US embassy in China and believe me they just dont give US visa to anyone. Its pretty hard process because your friend needs to show proof of sponsorship that is financial sponsor which is what will get her the visa. Once your friend comes to the US she will have to maintain full time student status which is 12 hrs as undergraduate each semester. Its a pain unless your friend has permanent residency in the US.

Schools may vary in their requirements, so it would be wise to go to the school websites to get the information directly from them.

For example: UIC requires science pre-requisites to have been taken in the US and applicants must have United States citizenship, permanent residency or Asylee status.

Your friend should have the Beijing degree evaluated for US equivelancy, and should take any science pre-requisites that were missed.

Keep in mind that when you are not a US citizen, you are not eligible for Federal student loans. You have to secure private loans or be very wealthy in order to finance the high cost of tuition.

I think the bigger issue is immigration . . . your friends needs to learn about the process for student and employment visas.

There are so many factors to consider. Your friend should definitely research all angles.

From my trip to China, I learned that Beijing Univ. was the top school to get into. It's uber competitive and only the top students get accepted. I think your friend should be well educated in science but I agree that they should be proficient in English.

From my trip to China, I learned that Beijing Univ. was the top school to get into. It's uber competitive and only the top students get accepted. I think your friend should be well educated in science but I agree that they should be proficient in English.

best bet would be to go to dental school in china. then do a international program in the US. it is easier to get into the US if you have an advance degree.
I dont how how hard this would be but I think it would be the best option.