help...my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adam64897

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
33 MCAT

total college stats:
3.45 GPA overall
3.38 BCPM GPA

and my last 67 credits of coursework:
3.81 overall GPA
3.75 BCPM GPA

I also have been a member of the Health Professionals Society at my school, have shadowed physicians, and have volunteered for about a year at a hospital here in Kalamazoo.

My top choices of medical schools are:
1. Wayne State
2. Michigan State
3. University of Michigan
4. NY Medical College
5. UW Medicine
6. Temple University
7. UIC
8. Albany Medical College

As medical students, what do you all think are my chances at one of these schools?

Thanks,
Adam

Members don't see this ad.

The AMCAS will pay a large bit of attention to your upward trend and your stats look good overall.

You "chances" to those schools cannot be determined b/c its a bit more involved that just GPA and MCAT. Even if you're granted an inverview, you're still only going to have 20% chance at acceptance.

And, this should probably be in the pre-med forum.

adam64897 said:
33 MCAT

total college stats:
3.45 GPA overall
3.38 BCPM GPA

3.81 overall GPA
3.75 BCPM GPA

I also have been a member of the Health Professionals Society at my school, have shadowed physicians, and have volunteered for about a year at a hospital here in Kalamazoo.

1. Wayne State
2. Michigan State
4. NY Medical College
5. UW Medicine
6. Temple University
7. UIC

As medical students, what do you all think are my chances at one of these schools?

Thanks,
Adam

Post in pre-allo/pre-osteo forum

Members don't see this ad :)
well I wanted advice from those of you that have been through the process not someone in the same boat as me...but I'll give it a shot

adam64897 said:
well I wanted advice from those of you that have been through the process not someone in the same boat as me...but I'll give it a shot

Okay! If you want to know your chances, look up each school's stats from Princeton Review, US News and World Report, MDapplicants, or any other listing that tracks the stats for GPA, MCAT, etc.. for incoming students. Compare yourself to that and see where you line up.

No one on this forum is on an admissions comittee for any of those schools. Your best bet it to check those web-sites, see if the application is worth your money to file, and apply and either get accepted or rejected.

(you do show an upward trend though which is good for your application)

Good luck.

MD-To Be said:
...No one on this forum is on an admissions comittee for any of those schools...
There's people in the pre-allo forum who are committe members, so post there and one of them will see it. There's also a host of 'what are my chances' threads - find a posting with similar stats to yoours and see where they applied/will apply.

I remember the anxiety I felt while applying, so i'll give you a rundown. I had a similar MCAT and lower gpa and managed to get into NYMC, Jefferson, Drexel, and Temple. Don't let anyone tell you your stats aren't good enough, as they will have no idea what they are talking about. You should be competitive at most of the schools you listed.

adam64897 said:
33 MCAT

total college stats:
3.45 GPA overall
3.38 BCPM GPA

3.81 overall GPA
3.75 BCPM GPA

1. Wayne State
2. Michigan State
4. NY Medical College
5. UW Medicine
6. Temple University
7. UIC

Thanks,
Adam

But when do you usually get interview, and offer. I am thinking if I don't get an interview by end of November, I'll signed up for another MCAT in January, this hsould get them the score by Feb something.

notsittinpretty said:
I remember the anxiety I felt while applying, so i'll give you a rundown. I had a similar MCAT and lower gpa and managed to get into NYMC, Jefferson, Drexel, and Temple. Don't let anyone tell you your stats aren't good enough, as they will have no idea what they are talking about. You should be competitive at most of the schools you listed.

adam64897 said:
33 MCAT

total college stats:
3.45 GPA overall
3.38 BCPM GPA

3.81 overall GPA
3.75 BCPM GPA

1. Wayne State
2. Michigan State
4. NY Medical College
5. UW Medicine
6. Temple University
7. UIC

Thanks,
Adam

Pre-allo

adam64897 said:
Yes. A lot of people who have done the application process still visit pre-allo and answer questions.

I think your chances of getting into at least one of the schools on your list is likely. Check your stats against the stats of each school. Then you'll be able to better what your chances are.