Help! Need advice for getting in next year!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjayfour

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied so late to DO schools this year!

I did my ACOMAS in late November and I didn't even get secondaries from schools until January. I already sent in secondaries to PCOM, PCOM Georgia, LECOM Bradenton in February, but I still have NSU, UNECOM, OUCOM, and UMDNJ SOM and there deadline aren't until March 15. I know I didn't technically miss the deadline, but I am unofficially too late? Should I not waste my money and just wait until next year?

I am very interest in osteopathic medicine! My primary care doc have always been a DO and I worked extensively for one for a year. I am an EMT with yons of health related experience and took the year I after I graduated to work as an AmeriCorp volunteer for a primary care clinic.

I have a 2.98 GPA (from an Ivy)
26 S MCAT

I'm so nervous...I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some advice about whether to keep up with the application, or just try again next year.

Members don't see this ad.

cjayfour said:
I applied so late to DO schools this year!

I did my ACOMAS in late November and I didn't even get secondaries from schools until January. I already sent in secondaries to PCOM, PCOM Georgia, LECOM Bradenton in February, but I still have NSU, UNECOM, OUCOM, and UMDNJ SOM and there deadline aren't until March 15. I know I didn't technically miss the deadline, but I am unofficially too late? Should I not waste my money and just wait until next year?

I am very interest in osteopathic medicine! My primary care doc have always been a DO and I worked extensively for one for a year. I am an EMT with yons of health related experience and took the year I after I graduated to work as an AmeriCorp volunteer for a primary care clinic.

I have a 2.98 GPA (from an Ivy)
26 S MCAT

I'm so nervous...I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some advice about whether to keep up with the application, or just try again next year.
I do not know if you have different information than I do, but NSU has a deadline of March 1, 2005. This is what the website says and the office of admissions person that I spoke with nine days ago. Perhaps you should check on those deadlines. If you call the school, they may be able to help. Hope you find success. To answer your question, I would apply and take my chance on being accepted. In the long run, $200.00 (maybe) is not that big of a deal if you get in (kind of easy to spend money that does not belong to me:). Give it a shot. It is great to see prehospital emergency care providers going into medicine.
csh

The NSU deadline is March 1...I actually have the completed application in my hand but I'm looking for advise whether to send it out today.

The other deadlines are March 15. I just wanted to know if the schools are really filled up by now and if I even have a chance at getting in anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo

You might want to go ahead and fill out those secondaries. The $300 or so bucks its going to cost you will be worth it if you get in this year. However, I think you're chances are slim, as in very. Your GPA is a big red flag, even if it is from an IVY. I know cause my GPA is 3.0.

You are applying to all these different schools, in widly different areas. I'd suggest trying to getting your MCAT up. With your GPA you need at least a 30. Your money would be better spent on that. Take a prep course or something. Then re-applying first thing next summer, with one or two school that you really want to go to in mind. You can get in early and enjoy the rest of the year doing something interesting . . . travelling, learn another language, make some money, etc. I can give you suggestions if you like.

cjayfour said:
The NSU deadline is March 1...I actually have the completed application in my hand but I'm looking for advise whether to send it out today.

The other deadlines are March 15. I just wanted to know if the schools are really filled up by now and if I even have a chance at getting in anywhere.
I believe that you should send it. All you have to lose is some money (again it is easy to spend money that does not belong to me:)). Give it a shot. Mail the secondary. Have a great one.
csh

I'd say send away. Like the others have said, the couple hundred bucks isn't that much to lose. Your numbers aren't too bad and your experience certainly speaks volumes. You'll definitely get rejected to 100% of the schools you never apply to. Take a chance and best of luck to you! And if it makes u feel any better, I didn't get my secondaries in until mid-January last year and I was interviewed and accepted at LECOM and interviewed and waitlisted at PCOM.

I interview med school applicants at my school and let me tell you. I have seen lower numbers. If you get an interview, your numbers are good. The interview is just for personality. A few hundred bucks when you are going to spend about 100,000 is not much.