General Admissions & OTCAS Help - Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTA123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m currently a first year occupational therapy student - just started my program in August. Everything is going well so far, but I have a dilemma. I was stupid and got arrested in May for shoplifting. I entered a diversion program and completed it (community service hours, paid fines, took a class). My case was then dismissed and the courts just accepted my case to be expunged.

I spoke with my program director and he cleared me to continue with the program and said I should not have any issue with clinicals, except for maybe if I wanted to do a rotation at a school for peds, which I wasn’t interested in doing anyway. I also contacted the board and explained my situation. They told me that I should be fine, as long as I didn’t receive a felony.

My question is, should I continue with the program? I’m still worried about being able to get my license and being able to get a job one day. Will my stupid mistake cost me my dream of working as a COTA?

Members don't see this ad.

If it’s expunged then you should probably be fine to stay in your program. Doesn’t expungement basically mean it didn’t happen (it won’t be on your record).

Even the board affirmed that you should be fine- what doubt do you have in term of being qualified for licensure?