Help! Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ippa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband was recently dismissed from med school a month before he was to graduate (non academic reasons). This was due to a problem he has which he is currently seeking help for. We are in an incredible hardship now: his loans are over 350 thousand! and he has lost his residency spot which we relied on income for.

Anyone have any advice on what he can do possible career advice? All he knows is medicine. Any help is appreciated.

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Is this for real? I think you've come to the wrong place, and what you need is a social worker.

Sounds like its time for you to apply to med school, and hit it big with plastics or derm, doing tons of cosmetic procedures. Your husband will be defaulting on these loans, and working in a lab somewhere, assuming his "issue" won't keep him from getting hired, which it probably will, if I'm reading between the lines correctly.

Finance/investment is probably a quicker fix, actually. But earning potential in that is all over the board.

I think you'd have better luck talking to the administration of the school he attended to see what his options are for reinstatement.

Members don't see this ad :)
all I can say is:

Good luck, bro.

(any O and A fans out there? Linger longer!!)

we would like to know exactly how dire was the situation for this to happen.

You do have some options:
1. talk to administration/board of directors to see the policies and procedures including appeals.
2. talk with AMA/AOA to see if anything is possible from their end or any help they could provide you.
3. if you think there is some substance and you believe it was unfair, you need to get lawyered up and fight it out.

we are talking about alot of money here and not to mention time and effort in his part, you guys needs to take immediate actions to see IF there is anything possible. Let's not forget the potential loss of future income.

Getting residency in future is a different matter. Please post this question in the allopathic side, maybe someone else can provide more resources.

It's hard to answer your question without knowing the cause of the dismissal. IF it is drug or alcohol related, he may be able to enter a rehab and follow it with continuous outpatient treatment. If he can show administration he is getting professional help for his disease, then it may give him some leverage for reinstatement. Some physicians have had drug and alcohol problems and enter treatment with supervised practice; the state board and hospital monitors this. I'm not sure how this works as a medical student.

No matter what, you are in a tough situation. He needs to get reinstated into school, if at all possible. Otherwise, you will be married to someone who owes a tremendous amount of debt for many years, with little way to pay it back. Definately get a lawyer --today!! This should be your first step.

PS-I hope you aren't cosigned on his loans.

Definitely hire an attorney. When you show up with representation, everyone takes a step back. It's money well spent.

It's hard to answer your question without knowing the cause of the dismissal. IF it is drug or alcohol related, he may be able to enter a rehab and follow it with continuous outpatient treatment. If he can show administration he is getting professional help for his disease, then it may give him some leverage for reinstatement. Some physicians have had drug and alcohol problems and enter treatment with supervised practice; the state board and hospital monitors this. I'm not sure how this works as a medical student.

No matter what, you are in a tough situation. He needs to get reinstated into school, if at all possible. Otherwise, you will be married to someone who owes a tremendous amount of debt for many years, with little way to pay it back. Definately get a lawyer --today!! This should be your first step.

PS-I hope you aren't cosigned on his loans.

I feel bad for you,

1st, you can defer the loans for hardship for some time but you will need to document it.

2nd, do what the kids say, make sure there isn't a way he can or could simply take a leave of absense (drugs alcohol) and talk to a lawyer on the side...pay for it. The only way to know your options is to get legal advice. They would have to have a pretty serious reason to kick him out verse just telling him he needs to take a break until he sorts through whatevers going on...no matter what it is. It would have either had to have been a really serious problem (he's mentally ill) or addiction (doctor's have the highest rate of alcoholism and even drug abuse among professional fields and there are programs and policies to help them...not punish them generally).

3rd, the economy is bad but I know a few recovering med students who went into sales.marketing for medical devices/equipment or even lab sales equipment. Having a medical background is good for this.

Hope this helps!

s

Holy responding to a year-old thread, Batman.

I'd be interesting in knowing what it takes to get "dismissed" a month before finishing.

Killing a "masseuse" you met on Craigslist?

Or possibly choking your girlfriend and threatening to throw her over your apartment balcony.

Killing a "masseuse" you met on Craigslist?

Pff, not any more. They are taking away the 'erotic services' section from craigslist. Now people have to kill hired help the old fashion way ....

kidding :smuggrin:

So what happened, ippa?