Help need input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkbpbs10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
I'm a 4th year at a UC with a 2.8 gpa and 2.7 sci gpa. I haven't taken the DAT yet becuase I want to make my application stronger by raising my GPA first.
Anyhoo, my dilemma is this.
Should I stay in school for another year, taking more Bio classes, retaking some of my "C" classes and raising my GPA. Then apply for next cycle? OR
Should I graduate in spring (which i can do), then look for a Post-bacc program elsewhere?
I think the prices for another year of undergrad and post-bacc is about the same.

So I guess what i'm basically trying to ask is, Is it better to get into a post-bacc then staying in for a 5th year? Will the post-bacc program give me a clean slate? an edge in my application?

BH

Members don't see this ad.

That's a good question. The post baccs in my state were very expensive so I just decided to continue taking classes at my state school after i graduated. ADSAS will use all grades to calculate your GPA no matter when or where you took the class.

But a post bacc has other pluses that may prepare you for dentalschool or look good on the appl. Call the admissions office and ask. I think they look favorably on post bacc programs.

bkbpbs10 said:
Hello all.
I'm a 4th year at a UC with a 2.8 gpa and 2.7 sci gpa. I haven't taken the DAT yet becuase I want to make my application stronger by raising my GPA first.
Anyhoo, my dilemma is this.
Should I stay in school for another year, taking more Bio classes, retaking some of my "C" classes and raising my GPA. Then apply for next cycle? OR
Should I graduate in spring (which i can do), then look for a Post-bacc program elsewhere?
I think the prices for another year of undergrad and post-bacc is about the same.

So I guess what i'm basically trying to ask is, Is it better to get into a post-bacc then staying in for a 5th year? Will the post-bacc program give me a clean slate? an edge in my application?

BH

I think you should stay for a 5th year and try to boost your GPA. If you graduate now, your undergrad GPA will not change even if you take more classes in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
QuietGuy said:
I think you should stay for a 5th year and try to boost your GPA. If you graduate now, your undergrad GPA will not change even if you take more classes in the future.

Actually, if my understanding is correct, I believe that even if you graduate and take postbacc classes, the postbacc grades will just be factored into the undergraduate GPA. Now, if you graduate and take masters classes, then the GPA will be separate from from undergrad GPA. Hope that makes sense, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong :D

I agree with quiet guy... stay for one more year ....but remember you have to bust balls that year... take a load of science classes... the hard part is get straight A's or close to it.... Post Bac is weighed as post graduation work/GPA. This is true if you graduate and take more undergraduate classes... trust me... I went through this problem this year....

So, just to clarify...a post-bac GPA will or will not be lumped into your overal GPA? I'm asking b/c I took an xtra year after undergrad and it was averaged with my undergrad GPA. I wish I had done a post-bac.

boogaking said:
Post Bac is weighed as post graduation work/GPA. This is true if you graduate and take more undergraduate classes... trust me... I went through this problem this year....

I graduated in 98 and went back in 2000 and 2003-2004 to take upper division science classes. When I inquired with AADSAS I was told that these classes were considered undergraduate course work and counted towards my undergraduate GPA. I did not list anything in the graduate course work section. I had no problem.