HELP! - need upper division physiology for UCDavis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

critterologist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading some of the posts here, I had a sudden fear that UCDavis wont accept my upper division physiology class. I took an upper division Neuro class that was equivilant to regular physiology at my university. After speaking to someone at Davis, I found out that they will not accept it. She said I could still take physiology in the Spring, which I will do, but it needs to be upper division. She said they will not accept the Berkeley extension physiology course as it is lower division, and suggested I take physiology at UC Berkeley. I don't think I can just take a class at UC Berkeley without applying, and it is too late for that. Anyone have any ideas? I looked at previous posts and found an online John Hopkins course suggested, but I can't get any info on how much it costs or what the deal is. Any help would be appreciated. I really really want to go to Davis.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm...this is news to me...as I believe there were people on here that had no problem getting the Berkeley Ext Course approved as an upper division physio course. Interesting. Otherwise, I know VAGirl used an online course through Breyer State last year. I believe it was mentioned in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=487099&highlight=physiology+berkeley

Anyone on here that is currently at Davis who used the Berkeley EXT course for the physio pre-req?

ucd will not take berk X physiology FOR SURE.

i took bio 300 at breyer state - it fits the bill for ucd but maybe not others.

Members don't see this ad :)
aacckkk! screw me! i don't think they'll take my physio course either (200 lvl)...and i guess my neuro course is out (400 lvl).

aaaccccckkkk

I'm so sorry to hear you are in the same boat IvyLynx.

I have to admit that communicating with the assistant director of admissions at Davis was quite intimidating. When I called with my concerns, they gave me her e-mail, and she replied with whirlwind speed when I had a specific question, but not at all when I had a more general one. For example, she would not reply when I asked if I needed to notify Davis about taking an aditional class so they would keep me in the running, but would reply when I asked if the UC extension course was ok (to say no). She suggested that I take physiology at Berkeley, and when I wrote back to say that I would have to apply to Berkeley in order to take a class there, and it was too late for that, and to ask what other people do, again she didn't reply.

I finally called back the general admissions person, and she was very nice and more helpful. She said that most universities will allow you to take a single class as a non-degree seeking student without applying, and that I wont be able to get ahold of anyone until Jan 2, and that I should take a deep breathe and relax:oops:.

So I may call back and ask about the Breyer state class, but my concern is that the place seems so hokey and I worry that Davis will think I am not motivated enough to take a real class. I managed to get ahold of someone at San Jose State who told me that I can take an upper division phys class with them, but I have to wait untill all the real students sign up, and then if there is space I am welcom. One of their classes is already full, but the other still has space.

So I think that between now and Jan 2 I will make a list of all the possible classes I could take (San Jose state, San Francisco State, Notre Dam.....), contact the admissions director about them and the breyer state class to make sure they are acceptable, and then call around in Jan to see who will take me. I am sure that all the local classes will be more work then Breyer state, but I am a bit worried that it will look bad.

Ok, I'll stop this essay now. I just wanted to let everyone know my thoughts in case someone else is in the same boat. Cross your fingers for me:xf:

So I may call back and ask about the Breyer state class, but my concern is that the place seems so hokey and I worry that Davis will think I am not motivated enough to take a real class.
I am sure that all the local classes will be more work then Breyer state, but I am a bit worried that it will look bad.

It's always a good idea to call and get the most current info, but I took the Breyer State course as a last minute thing to satisfy the requirement this past summer, as someone else indicated, and UC Davis still let me in. Breyer State is very sketchy, but Davis doesn't seem to care.

Also, the course is easy, but it's a HUGE pain in the butt through Breyer because there are no lectures/lessons, just reading the book. You have no idea what the instructor is going to test on and she speaks very poor English (thus writes in very poor and confusing English). But the tests are open book (and yet still confusing!). I still managed an A without a ton of effort, though. So it's definitely a solution. As long as UC Davis is willing to accept it and that's your main focus, I wouldn't worry about it looking bad.

Edit: I just remembered that Kim O'Bryan at UC Davis was actually the one who pointed me towards the Breyer State course.

Critterologist-
I am in the same boat- looking for a Physio class that will meet the requirements. At this point I think it is less about the prestige of the school and more a matter of finding a class- any class- to remain in this year's applicant pool. I am waiting to hear back on a class for approval and will let you know if they say yes. I live in the same area as you so maybe we can keep each other updated on the classes we find.

Thanks BB KitKat. I'll look forward to hearing from you on that.

Why can't they just let us know what people have done in the past? Clearly this is a reaccurring problem that has had solutions.

I thought just last year multiple people used the UC Berkeley extension Human Physiology class to fill this requirement. Is that the course you are all saying they now won't accept? AHHHH, I was just about to sign up for it!

I'm down in San Jose so if you Bay Area people find out anything definitely fill me in because now I'm getting super nervous! Guess I'll be calling Davis as soon as they are open again... :scared:

Thats the one. It sounds like there are other options though. Worse case scenerio, we can take it at SJSU together assuming there is space:D

Hey!!!

For those of you living in the SF Bay Area (esp in the city of SF itself)....

UC Berkeley extension is running a new class this spring, and guess what??

It is an upper division Mammalian Systemic Physiology Class!!!:eek:

I have not checked with Davis to see if they'll accept it, because I had literally paid for the Breyer State Bio 300 Class 3 days before I got my spring Extension catalog... But I am guessing it might fit the bill.

It is not an online class, and it is being held at their downtown SF center if I remember correctly, but details are easy to get on the extension website.

Hope that helps!

I checked with UC Davis, and it looks like the new physiology class through UC extension will fit the bill. They also confirmed the Breyer State Class. Yay! Anyone else thinking of thaking the UC extesion class?

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just received a communication with Davis regarding the Breyer State Courses (physio in particular). We have pretty much agreed that the school is sketchy, and it seems that Davis is starting to view it in a similar way. I asked them whether certain courses would be considered acceptable for their upper division requirements, and each of the Breyer State Courses they indicated that they were putting under review - and not sure whether they would in fact be acceptable to them as satisfying the upper division pre-reqs. Thought I would put that out there for other people to be aware of even though they haven't definitively said one way or the other whether they would be accepting Breyer State Courses anymore.

I emailed them before Critterologist posted early Jan that Davis has verified the Breyer State Physio class. They confirmed the acceptance of this class with me as well. Not sure why they are now saying it is under review. Maybe due to the volume of people inquiring about it? Either way, I think those who have confirmation already will be okay, right?

I emailed them before Critterologist posted early Jan that Davis has verified the Breyer State Physio class. They confirmed the acceptance of this class with me as well. Not sure why they are now saying it is under review. Maybe due to the volume of people inquiring about it? Either way, I think those who have confirmation already will be okay, right?

Save your email communication with UC Davis stating that the course is ok. If they said it, I would think they'd have to honor it. But it'll be much harder to make them honor it if you can't find proof that they approved it.

I just got the BSU class approved by them a week or two ago. This is somewhat unnerving news, but I'm signing up for it anyway since they did just approve it.

I replied to them to try and get to the bottom of the "under review" status - I'll let you all know any updates I receive from them, but yes - unnerving news for me too, since I just expected it to be approved like everyone else has had happened before me!

I'll keep you posted...

Reply I received from Davis:

".We are reviewing the accreditation status of Breyer. We will accept the course from those individuals that have been given a prior approval. At this point, we advise enrollment at other schools until we make a decision.."

So all of you that got approval - keep your communication with them just in case it becomes an issue, but you should be fine!

The dean of admission at Davis told me two weeks ago that the Breyer state course was fine, as well as the new Berkeley extension course. I wouldn't worry about it if you got previous approval.

I have two questions:
I have asked multiple people about if "upper division" is 200s and up or 300s and up and I have gotten mixed responses. Can anyone clarify that term for me? At my school it seems to be 200s and up, but I'm not sure that is universal.
Also, doesn't Davis allow you to finish the last couple pre-reqs up until matriculation if necessary? I have taken physiology, but I'm just checking to make sure there is a backup plan :)
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Also, doesn't Davis allow you to finish the last couple pre-reqs up until matriculation if necessary? I have taken physiology, but I'm just checking to make sure there is a backup plan :)
Thanks in advance!

Yes, Davis allows you to take some prereqs during the summer before you matriculate. I'm not sure if there's a limit, but I took the one outstanding prereq that I had left (physiology as it happens) the summer before matriculating. I'd check with the school, though, as they may have limits to how many can be outstanding at time of admission.