North Carolina vs. UCDavis (older, non-trad student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I've narrowed down to NCSU and UC Davis and I'm curious about nontrad experience at both, as I'd like to feel there's support for students a little ways out of undergrad. E.g., not sure how I'd feel if I'm the only one over 30 back at school although I'm sure it's great! Everyone I've met so far has been so lovely. 😅


This is mostly answered already- but
if you're familiar with any feline-oriented programs at these schools, can you share info?

I know they all do great feline research and have feline practitioner chapters, but I'm also interested in the student experience. Does the curriculum adequately reflect and contrast feline medicine? At NCSU there appears to be an elective later in years 2/3 to cover feline medicine. UC Davis has an orphan kitten club, and even a program in neonatal care.

Any other insights from attendees, faculty or prospectives?

If given the choice, where would you go NCSU or UCDavis?
 
Last edited:
PS - including living costs for me, they are all within about the same ballpark cost +/- $5k/year ... CSU is slightly more expensive, even though it's in-state. So costs aside, where would you go?
 
Small animals/dogs and cats are definitely going to be the main focus of all schools and you’ll get a good education in cats anywhere. I don’t really think there’s going to be any major differences in your experience relating to cat education at any of these places.

I know this probably isn’t what you want to hear, but I’d still go to the cheapest school. All the schools in your list are great and will provide you with plenty of opportunities or ability to seek out your own special opportunities. $5k/yr is still $20,000 before you factor in interest. If someone offered me a free $10,000-20,000, I’d accept.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmmm that's extra hard to calculate actually between UC Davis and OOS NCSU, just because the cost of living is wild in California (15 years in CA.... It's expensive here, even if tuition is marginally less). Tuition is 56k the first year at NCSU, before you go to IS rates. UC Davis is similar 4-year tuition costs (after scholarships) overall.
In Raleigh we can maybe buy a home, but LOL to that anywhere in California. To get anything close to a similar living situation, I would be living at least 30 min away in West Sacramento. Even then it would still be pricier. Plus then gas costs... So it doesn't seem as simple as comparing the published tuition + COL (COL seems inaccurate at least for CA). Any insights from those at Davis, Ft Collins or Raleigh?

I'm encouraged by faculty to decide based on the programs and opportunities available at each, since I'm primarily research-based. E.g., summer programs, workshops, faculty mentors, curriculum focus.
 
Small animals/dogs and cats are definitely going to be the main focus of all schools and you’ll get a good education in cats anywhere. I don’t really think there’s going to be any major differences in your experience relating to cat education at any of these places.

I know this probably isn’t what you want to hear, but I’d still go to the cheapest school. All the schools in your list are great and will provide you with plenty of opportunities or ability to seek out your own special opportunities. $5k/yr is still $20,000 before you factor in interest. If someone offered me a free $10,000-20,000, I’d accept.
Thank you for this!!! It's encouraging to hear the curriculum will be similar. I know from seeing NCSU faculty first-hand at conferences, that their feline workshops were fantastic.
 
Housing prices in Colorado were high ten years ago when I lived there and have risen a LOT in the last few years. That’s happening everywhere, but Colorado is a popular place for people to move to and there’s only so much land in the front range for new construction. Historically I’d have said that schools overestimated cost of living and you could get by cheaper especially if you lived with several roommates, but with how cost of living from rent down to groceries has skyrocketed everywhere, it’s really hard to predict.
 
Hmmm that's extra hard to calculate actually between UC Davis and OOS NCSU, just because the cost of living is wild in California (15 years in CA.... It's expensive here, even if tuition is marginally less). Tuition is 56k the first year at NCSU, before you go to IS rates. UC Davis is similar 4-year tuition costs (after scholarships) overall.
In Raleigh we can maybe buy a home, but LOL to that anywhere in California. To get anything close to a similar living situation, I would be living at least 30 min away in West Sacramento. Even then it would still be pricier. Plus then gas costs... So it doesn't seem as simple as comparing the published tuition + COL (COL seems inaccurate at least for CA). Any insights from those at Davis, Ft Collins or Raleigh?

I'm encouraged by faculty to decide based on the programs and opportunities available at each, since I'm primarily research-based. E.g., summer programs, workshops, faculty mentors, curriculum focus.
If you're primarily interested in research, U.C Davis has this summer program called STAR where you can do research for the summer and get paid. I'm actively in the process of applying for this program right now. You work with a faculty mentor to conduct research and then you have the opportunity to present it at conferences and such.

But I agree with Jayna that most vet schools will have a heavy emphasis on small animal medicine, so I don't think you'll find much of a difference between NCSU and U.C Davis in that regard.

I'm actually part of the officer team for Orphan Kitten Project at U.C Davis, so feel free to DM me if you want more info on what we do!
 
If you're primarily interested in research, U.C Davis has this summer program called STAR where you can do research for the summer and get paid. I'm actively in the process of applying for this program right now. You work with a faculty mentor to conduct research and then you have the opportunity to present it at conferences and such.
Every accredited program that participates in the BI summer scholars program (which is nearly all of them) has this, just fyi.
 
Hmmm that's extra hard to calculate actually between UC Davis and OOS NCSU, just because the cost of living is wild in California (15 years in CA.... It's expensive here, even if tuition is marginally less). Tuition is 56k the first year at NCSU, before you go to IS rates. UC Davis is similar 4-year tuition costs (after scholarships) overall.
In Raleigh we can maybe buy a home, but LOL to that anywhere in California. To get anything close to a similar living situation, I would be living at least 30 min away in West Sacramento. Even then it would still be pricier. Plus then gas costs... So it doesn't seem as simple as comparing the published tuition + COL (COL seems inaccurate at least for CA). Any insights from those at Davis, Ft Collins or Raleigh?

I'm encouraged by faculty to decide based on the programs and opportunities available at each, since I'm primarily research-based. E.g., summer programs, workshops, faculty mentors, curriculum focus.
I recently moved to Raleigh with my husband to establish residency and we can get by with our two incomes! We have a decently sized furry family too (1 dog, 3 cats). We live 15 mins away from the CVM, but rush hour/the traffic here in general adds a LOT of time in the morning (8am) and afternoon (3pm). A 15 min commute can easily turn into 30min. Not a huge deal breaker, just good to know!
 
That's really good to know because the realtor I've been working with says there's no traffic in Raleigh... LOL. Which neighborhoods would you recommend? Is South of Raleigh ok? it seems more reasonable for cost... Glad to know someone else moved to establish residency, that's smart!

PS - do you think you could bike to campus along a greenway? That looks very appealing from afar..
 
That's really good to know because the realtor I've been working with says there's no traffic in Raleigh... LOL. Which neighborhoods would you recommend? Is South of Raleigh ok? it seems more reasonable for cost... Glad to know someone else moved to establish residency, that's smart!

PS - do you think you could bike to campus along a greenway? That looks very appealing from afar..
Oh yeah, there’s definitely traffic!
I live in North Hills which is a bit pricey but is considered safe and has a lot of retail and food. I’m not a native here, so I’m not too well versed in other neighborhoods, but it SEEMS like south Raleigh is the under developed part.
I’m also not a biker, but my coworker bikes to work almost everyday from Cary to the CVM. It is a motorized bike. There are a lot of bike pathways here, so depending on where you end up, it’s definitely possible to bike!
 
That's really good to know because the realtor I've been working with says there's no traffic in Raleigh... LOL. Which neighborhoods would you recommend? Is South of Raleigh ok? it seems more reasonable for cost... Glad to know someone else moved to establish residency, that's smart!

PS - do you think you could bike to campus along a greenway? That looks very appealing from afar..
Also, I work in the CVM doing feline vector borne research.
It’s pretty incredible here, but I am very biased 🤭
We also have a Feline Health Center that focuses on cats— good opportunity to shadow at. And there’s a library cat named Chickpea that you can hang out with!
 
Also, I work in the CVM doing feline vector borne research.
It’s pretty incredible here, but I am very biased 🤭
We also have a Feline Health Center that focuses on cats— good opportunity to shadow at. And there’s a library cat named Chickpea that you can hang out with!
I love Chickpea already!! Do you have advice on landing a job in a feline research lab? I've been reaching out to profs I met at conferences, but no leads yet! I have a research background, so I'm eager to land in with a good mentor and stay as much as possible the next 4 years!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love Chickpea already!! Do you have advice on landing a job in a feline research lab? I've been reaching out to profs I met at conferences, but no leads yet! I have a research background, so I'm eager to land in with a good mentor and stay as much as possible the next 4 years!
Sent you a private message!