Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I live in Seattle and have decided to go to DS. I have a masters in Civil Engineering but even with that I have basically all of the prereqs still to do (other than Gen Chem and Physics I). The only state school in the area (University of Wa) in essence said they don't not want me because I already have a graduate degree. My only other options are community colleges and very expensive private schools. So my questions:

Is this common in other areas of the country?

Can I get financial aid to get prereqs done if I were to attend a private school (~$25k to $30k)? If so, how?

How bad would it look on my applications if I did OChem, Biology and Physics II at a CC in order to save $$. I know some schools don't accept CC credit but some do right? Schools I am looking at are Univ Washington, Oregon, Louisville, UNLV, and Creighton, fyi.

I REALLY want to do this, I just have to figure out how to afford it! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Hello, and welcome to SDN.

Thats weird, they woun't let you attend thier school as a post-bacc student? why? under what bases are they rejecting you? You might wanna make some noise about this, cause they shouldn't reject you from doing extra undergrad level courses..... If they let you, then your problem is solved, you woun't need to attend any CC

As for the financial aid stuff, I was in similar situation back in 2006 when I decided to go back to school to do my post-bacc. Luckily my city school (MSU) accepted with ZERO problems. I told them I wanted to do a 2nd bachelors in chemistry and they accepted with no issues. Perhaps you can tell that to University of Wa, tell them u want to do a 2nd bachelors in something and just start taking the rest of your pre-dental courses.

Anyways, back to my financial aid point lol. I wasn't able to get any financial aid, cause I was working as a software engineer and I was making more than some of the professors lol.... so I got zero financial aid. And here in michigan, for undergrad studies, the federal loan maximum is $46,000, so I was able to borrow UP to that amount to do my post-bacc....once the 46k was reached, I had 2 options: 1) pay it out of pocked 2) private loans.... I went with option #1 cause private loans suck.