Aug 28, 2015
4
1
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hello,

I have so far taken 3 nbme's and have failed all three of them. And actual exam is on sept 3. Should I still take the actual exam or postpone it? I have done uworld twice at this point and my average second time through is 61%. How accurately do name's predict the actual exam score? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

nbme 3 (194)
nbme 4 (204)
nbme 6 (196)
uwsa (211)
 
OP
M
Aug 28, 2015
4
1
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
When did you take the practice tests?
Thanks for getting back to me. I took nbme 4 (8/15), nbme 6 (8/23) and nbme 3 (8/28). I still have nbme 4 to take. I was thinking I should take that this sunday and see where i stand.
 

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2009
430
6
Status
Thanks for getting back to me. I took nbme 4 (8/15), nbme 6 (8/23) and nbme 3 (8/28). I still have nbme 4 to take. I was thinking I should take that this sunday and see where i stand.
Im sorry did u say u already took nbme 4 and are going to take it again?
 
May 5, 2011
278
45
Status
Medical Student
Did you have a similar trend during your step 1 studying i.e. not passing any of your practice tests but passing the real deal? Though I am not sure what the predictive value of 61% on uworld is, I would imagine it's at least a pass. However, the fact that you have failed all practice nbmes by a significant margin (I think passing is 220 or somewhere around there is passing) makes me think you should delay. Advice from a fellow fourth year, so take with a grain of salt.
 

ephesus32

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2008
39
1
Status
Medical Student
The worst thing you could do right now is to take it because you are getting pretty consistent practice scores. You will definately regret it if you fail and later you will wish you postponed it. It's definitely worth it to postpone your exam even it means limited interview spots this year or waiting till next year's residency application season.
 
OP
M
Aug 28, 2015
4
1
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I've tentatively pushed it back to the end of september and am working with a private tutor to try and improve to my goal score of around 230.

Do you think if I get my scores back by the end of october there will be any interview spots left for the regular season? Will I have skipped the chance of getting an interview and have to apply for SOAP at that point? I'm looking for any peds match regardless of location and/or competitiveness. I have a 208 on the Step 1 so I'm just wondering how I should balance taking it earlier and risking a lower score with how many spots there will be left once my scores are received and processed.

PS: I'm a US IMG
 
Last edited: