Help needed urgently: Back-to-back interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphddreamer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was fortunate to receive two interview invitations at the following schools: School A and School B (for the sake of anonymity). School B has only two interview dates. I picked the first one. A few days later, School A arranged for me the date that would occur right before School B's interview. With this back-to-back schedule, I will do interview at School A Tuesday - Wednesday. On Wednesday, I will finish at 3:30pm at School A and have to go immediately to the airport to fly to School B so that I can attend interview at School B on Thursday. I first thought of rescheduling School B's interview to the other date, but unfortunately School B told me that date had already been filled up. Thus I cannot do anything with School B. I then contacted School A for a reschedule, and they gave me two options: either the current date or a later date. That means I'm stuck with two plans:

1. Do back-to-back interview. I did find two airlines that have available tickets, US Airway and United Air. If I run with this option, I will get out of the interview at School A at 3:30pm, go to the airport to depart at ~4:45pm, and arrive at School B around midnight. Interview at School B will occur in the next morning.

2. Choose the later date at School A. However, this date is one of the last interview dates offered at the school. School A has more than 5 interview dates, but for some reasons all other dates have already been filled up.

Now, I am inclined to choose the back-to-back option. I was afraid I would be at HUGE disadvantage if I choose one of the last interview dates at School A, as it has rolling admission, and I am a borderline applicant. My question is that:

(1) Is it common for MD/PhD applicants to do back-to-back interview like this ?

(2) If you do recommend back-to-back interview, should I choose US Airway or United Air to run with ? US Airway has cheaper price. However since my priority is to get to the interview as planned without delay, I don't mind putting in a few more dollars to ensure no delay.

(3) Am I at big disadvantage if I choose to interview at one of the last dates at School A, given the school has rolling admission ?

These may be the only interview invitations I receive this application cycle, so I don't want to make stupid mistakes. Thank you in advance for everyone's input.

TL;DR: Do you recommend back-to-back interview ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
(1) Is it common for MD/PhD applicants to do back-to-back interview like this ?

I did 2 back-to-back interviews when I went through the process. It is not uncommon.

As for airfare- it doesn't matter which company you choose. A more expensive ticket doesn't mean less chance for delay. Avoid checking bags, because bags can be misrouted/lost (keep your interview clothing in the cabin with you, if possible).

Stop stressing out so much. Enjoy the process as much as you can.

I did 2 back-to-back interviews when I went through the process. It is not uncommon.

As for airfare- it doesn't matter which company you choose. A more expensive ticket doesn't mean less chance for delay. Avoid checking bags, because bags can be misrouted/lost (keep your interview clothing in the cabin with you, if possible).

Stop stressing out so much. Enjoy the process as much as you can.

Thank you very much for your input :)