help needed veterianian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ripley colton

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im in high school and my school offers a nursing program called jump start and i wanted to know if that would help me become a vet sorry i think i spelled it wrong. What school takes high school graduates with biology done along with all other scinice expect chimisty?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably not, since it would be geared towards human medicine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Ideally it would bolster your exposure to the health sciences and start you on a path towards more advanced training to include college courses. You will need significant coursework in chemistry, biology, physics, and/or related sciences at the collegiate level from an accredited school to pursue a professional degree such as a DVM. I would recommend trying to gain exposure to the profession by shadowing or working with a veterinarian to gain a better understanding of this career path and the types of work we do everyday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ideally it would bolster your exposure to the health sciences and start you on a path towards more advanced training to include college courses. You will need significant coursework in chemistry, biology, physics, and/or related sciences at the collegiate level from an accredited school to pursue a professional degree such as a DVM. I would recommend trying to gain exposure to the profession by shadowing or working with a veterinarian to gain a better understanding of this career path and the types of work we do everyday.
what about if i went to a vet tech school there happens to be one near me and dose not require that much to get in if i become one would that make it were i can get into a vet school

Possibly. It depends on your grades and the reputation of the institution.

Possibly. It depends on your grades and the reputation of the institution.

i keep a 3.0 in my classes and have passed my EOC in biology with a very high good i was only a few point off from a excellent. i have never failed a grade or class in high school.

i keep a 3.0 in my classes and have passed my EOC in biology with a very high good i was only a few point off from a excellent. i have never failed a grade or class in high school.
Awesome! That will help a lot.

what about if i went to a vet tech school there happens to be one near me and dose not require that much to get in if i become one would that make it were i can get into a vet school
Most likely not. You will not get the necessary pre-reqs (physics, chemistry, biology, etc.) to be accepted to vet school. If you go to this tech school you would still need to go 1-3 extra years of college to get those classes done.

In order to go to vet school you will also need vet experience hours, and a lot of them (most recommend 500-1000+ to be competitive). Have you shadowed a vet before?

Most likely not. You will not get the necessary pre-reqs (physics, chemistry, biology, etc.) to be accepted to vet school. If you go to this tech school you would still need to go 1-3 extra years of college to get those classes done.

In order to go to vet school you will also need vet experience hours, and a lot of them (most recommend 500-1000+ to be competitive). Have you shadowed a vet before?

no i

dont have a drivers liscence yet so i havent been able to ask. i will get one this summer though i will have to ask a vet if i can shadow do you think my gaidance coulncer would let me do that if i get a written sighnature from the vet so instead of taking nursing those last two hours of school i could just go to the vet place and shadow. Ill have to talk to her about it ,but honstly the vet college i want to go to ill end up paying for the classes any way which i don't mind. I know if i just go to vet tech schools it would be a waste if i could of gotten accepted by a vet school ,but honstly i have thought of any other job and i know being a vet is for me i live in the counrty and i've raised lots of litters of puppies and a foal (Mostly beagles my dad trains them but we have recently stopped due to taking in a couple strays which i think is great!)

no i

dont have a drivers liscence yet so i havent been able to ask. i will get one this summer though i will have to ask a vet if i can shadow do you think my gaidance coulncer would let me do that if i get a written sighnature from the vet so instead of taking nursing those last two hours of school i could just go to the vet place and shadow. Ill have to talk to her about it ,but honstly the vet college i want to go to ill end up paying for the classes any way which i don't mind. I know if i just go to vet tech schools it would be a waste if i could of gotten accepted by a vet school ,but honstly i have thought of any other job and i know being a vet is for me i live in the counrty and i've raised lots of litters of puppies and a foal (Mostly beagles my dad trains them but we have recently stopped due to taking in a couple strays which i think is great!)
If you shadow and find that being a vet is what you want to do, then it could be beneficial to go to a university, major in something you could see yourself doing if vet school doesn't work out (Animal Science, Biology, etc), take all of your pre-req classes, and apply to vet school after your 4 years.

If you shadow and find that being a vet is what you want to do, then it could be beneficial to go to a university, major in something you could see yourself doing if vet school doesn't work out (Animal Science, Biology, etc), take all of your pre-req classes, and apply to vet school after your 4 years.
oh ok i guess there is no going around college uh. I'm sure it would be fun anyway

oh ok i guess there is no going around college uh. I'm sure it would be fun anyway

No, the required courses are required, and you'll need a letter of reference from at least one veterinarian. So college + shadowing are pretty necessary.

Undergrad ain't so bad - it's a good time to make new friends and try new things, so you may as well enjoy it and take your time.

Start with shadowing -- make sure you know what veterinarians/technicians do before you commit to an extensive course of study (and usually, the loans that come with them). If you have a pet, start by asking your veterinarian about opportunities, even it is just a chance to talk about why they chose this profession. I have not turned anyone away who asked me and wanted open feedback.