Help needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockstar88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an IMG with scores 224, 232 and 198..I'm an old grad (2011)..I interviewed at a program for IM prelim and don't really know which way I should go after completion if I were to match there..What are my realistic options? Any advice would be really appreciated..Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Not 100% certain what you're asking. If you have a chance of getting a prelim spot, you should certainly take it. You could try to get an IM PGY-2 afterwards, or it would make you much more competitive in the match the next time with all that US experience, or you could try to find a Rads spot, or a neuro spot, both of which require a PGY-1 first. If you have other interviews for categorical spots, then you should probably rank those above this prelim. If this is your only interview, you really have nothing to lose. Or am I misunderstanding your situation / question?

Not 100% certain what you're asking. If you have a chance of getting a prelim spot, you should certainly take it. You could try to get an IM PGY-2 afterwards, or it would make you much more competitive in the match the next time with all that US experience, or you could try to find a Rads spot, or a neuro spot, both of which require a PGY-1 first. If you have other interviews for categorical spots, then you should probably rank those above this prelim. If this is your only interview, you really have nothing to lose. Or am I misunderstanding your situation / question?
Thank you very much for the response. This is the only interview I have so far..How easy or hard is it to find a Radiology or Neurology spot for an IMG? And are you talking about applying to off-cycle positions or apply to these specialties through ERAS?

Thank you very much for the response. This is the only interview I have so far..How easy or hard is it to find a Radiology or Neurology spot for an IMG? And are you talking about applying to off-cycle positions or apply to these specialties through ERAS?

You'll need to finish your preliminary year in medicine before going on to aNOTHRR specialty so you would apply to those programs via ERAS as an intern.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Why didn't you apply for any categorical or advanced positions?

Why didn't you apply for any categorical or advanced positions?
I applied to categorical IM, but I didn't get any interviews..Didn't really consider applying to advanced positions because my credentials are not that great..Hence my question, how easy or hard is it to get in to specialties like Radiology if I do get in to IM prelim.

My advice for you is to focus on getting that pre-lim position. Then you may have a shot of getting into neurology or radiology.

neurology is easy to get in pgy 2. I routinely see open PGY 2 or 3 spots in neurology. take prelim position if offered. u can also try to find pgy 2 medicine spots

Thanks for the input guys..Will focus on the prelim position for now.