HELP! nymc vs. slu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumnleaves

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time with this.

NYMC appeals to me GREATLY because of the opportunity to live and do rotations in nyc as a 3rd and 4th year, but SLU has a better reputation of having a better academic program. However, St. Louis didn't impress me much as a city and I don't know if I can see myself living there for 4 years of my life.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think youll be fine choosing either. If location is important to you along with doing rotations in NYC, then definitely go to NYMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC. I've never heard of SLU being better than NYMC. In fact, I would have thought the opposite, although it is pointless to quibble over comparing these two schools.

NYMC, for sure. Good school with great facilities, and a very nice match list.

If you have NYMC questions, feel free to ask. Anyway, I can't compare but I like it here and from what I hear from older students the overall education you will get here is great, so don't let that concern you. As a general note too, for anyone interested in also getting an MPH, NYMC has a good, accredited, and cheap! public health program which can be done concurrently with the medical program.

SLU has a fantastic reputation in St. Louis. The main reasons it isn't talked about much is that it's not in California or New York, the tuition is pretty high, and Wash U is virtually next door. SLU is my first choice, since I'm planning on going HPSP, am a native St. Louisan, and have no interest in doing research.

St. Louis is a nice city to live in, contrary to the reputation it receives in interviewfeedback. South Grand is an old part of town, but the apartments you live in (near Tower Grove park) are fantastic and cheap. You can do a lot with little cash in St. Louis. Also, if you like sports, the St. Louis Cardinals, Blues and Rams are all extremely affordable and very close to the school. I think SLU SOM even has season tickets they distribute to the students.

As far as night life goes, the Central West End and the East Side have adequate facilities to suit the needs of most.

I hope this helps you.

PS: If anyone who is matriculating to SLU next year wants to know about the city, PM me.

Probably SLU is the better bet. It has undergraduate and multiple graduate programs. It has its own affiliated hospital (used to be owned by SLU) next door so rotations are never a problem. Overall, seems the resources are better at SLU and a more stronger program. Nevertheless, go with your heart on this one.

NYMC isn't in NYC so night life wise, you really wouldn't be missing out.

nymc for sure. i think you have the option of city life and small town life and can have the option to be in manhattan for 3rd and 4th year.

great facilities and good research opportunities. i interviewed at both and st. louis is not all that (sorry all you guys from there).

i also think nymc gets a good match and just by being in ny you get amazing opportunities for the north east residencies.

UseUrHeadFred said:
SLU has a fantastic reputation in St. Louis. The main reasons it isn't talked about much is that it's not in California or New York, the tuition is pretty high, and Wash U is virtually next door. SLU is my first choice, since I'm planning on going HPSP, am a native St. Louisan, and have no interest in doing research.

St. Louis is a nice city to live in, contrary to the reputation it receives in interviewfeedback. South Grand is an old part of town, but the apartments you live in (near Tower Grove park) are fantastic and cheap. You can do a lot with little cash in St. Louis. Also, if you like sports, the St. Louis Cardinals, Blues and Rams are all extremely affordable and very close to the school. I think SLU SOM even has season tickets they distribute to the students.

As far as night life goes, the Central West End and the East Side have adequate facilities to suit the needs of most.

I hope this helps you.

PS: If anyone who is matriculating to SLU next year wants to know about the city, PM me.

St. Louis doesn't compare to NYC in culture or opportunity.

I didn't like SLU or St. Louis (the city) when I was there, be it for only one day.

My bet is still on SLU. Honestly, if you are living where NYMC is, there is no way you can easily go to NYC to hang out/party/live!! It's too far, man. I think its at least 45 minutes or an hour or even farther. St. louis sure does'nt compare to NYC in culture and nite life, but don't forget NYMC isn't in NYC. For all its worth, the urban areas of StL are better than the nightlife in suburban, suburban NYC despite not being a top 10 city size. Don't get me wrong, i really would like to vote for NYMC on this one for year 1 and 2 of medical school but it isn't in New York City. It's in Vallaharta (sp?) which is miles away from NYC.

3rd year in manahattan is pretty fascinating though. Just want to remind you that living in NYC will be REALLY expensive, but heck, its NYC!

I still think SLU has a slight edge reputation wise, but granted, if i was gonna shoot for hte east coast, i'd definitely do NYMC, especially if i was shooting for the NY state area.

autumnleaves said:
Hey guys,

NYMC appeals to me GREATLY because of the opportunity to live and do rotations in nyc as a 3rd and 4th year, but SLU has a better reputation of having a better academic program. However, St. Louis didn't impress me much as a city and I don't know if I can see myself living there for 4 years of my life.

What do you guys think?

PMed you.

autumnleaves said:
Hey guys,

What do you guys think?

sounds like environment is a pretty big factor for you, and i think you've already answered your own question...you just need us to tell you what you've already decided :) If you're the type that really enjoys the big city life and its very important for you to be in NYC, then you should go to NYMC. Personally, I can't stand NYC...so i didn't go to a new york med school. If you don't think you can stand the midwest, don't come to the midwest for med school. Pretty much that simple in your case i think...you can become a good doctor where ever you go, so you should pick a school where you can see yourself spending 4 yrs of your life. my 2cents