HELP: OB/GYN Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hedwig

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In general, how competitive is it to get into an OB/GYN residency?

Also, how competitive is it to get a fellowship in reproductive endocrinology / infertility? I would imagine it's highly competitive, since the pay is high and the work is so rewarding.

Would it be possible for a graduate of an osteopathic OB/GYN program to get such a fellowship? I know of a DO OB/GYN who did his residency at PCOM and his REI fellowship at Pennsylvania Hospital, but I don't know if this was just a fluke.

Any other information would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

OB/GYN is less competitive the last two years owing to a decrease in applications. I imagine it's probably middle-of-the-road now.

I heard through the grapevine that REI and MFM both have spots left over after the match since they increased the number of years required to finish the program. MFM is now three years, and REI (I think) is also three years as of a few years ago. Gyn/Onc and UroGyn are monstrously competitive, and very difficult to come by (so I'm told) and seem to be the specialties of choice for most of the guys who are interviewing this year. Perhaps these guys have heard that it is difficult for a man to get a generalist OB/GYN position upon finishing residency, so they opt to position themselves more favorably by pursuing a fellowship.

DO in an MD world: I imagine it's possible for you to finish an osteopathic OB/GYN residency and get into an REI or MFM fellowship. Also consider going into an allopathic program with ties to the fellowship program you want (if you already know). If you rock your boards, are a model resident, and make good connections, you shouldn't have a problem either way.

Also, please understand that the above information is just from my experience, so if anyone has updated info, please let me know!

Good luck!