HELP! ONLINE COURSE FOR ORGO PREREQ FOR DENTAL SCHOOL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ab322

Abc123
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE HELP ME!

Ok so I transferred mid way through my second year at Drexel which is a quarter system. I completed Orgo I and II and orgo I lab which was a 6 hour lab that included info from both.

The total credit hours are 11 quarter credits. 4 for each lecture and 3 for the lab.

I then transferred to a semester school. I didn't realize semester units and quarter units were different since my semester school accepted them.

I applied to dental schools for this fall 2016 and received an email from western asking for org III. I was confused but then looked into it and noticed that you need 12 quarter units. So i am 1 credit shy.

This means i have to retake org 2. i am going to take it online. My question is ... will they accept an online course?

Also, will i have to directly email every school telling them i am taking another course to fill that extra credit requirement? since i can't access my application since it is locked now that i submit it?

also i have been receiving a lot of emails from schools saying that they have received my application and that it is complete. Why would it be complete if I am a credit short though? How come western was the only school that noticed this? Do you think the other schools will contact me asking for another class or just deny me right away?

Members don't see this ad.

I would be very cautious about taking an online course as a pre-req especially ochem which is generally one of the hardest pre-reqs. I have been told by my adviser that your grades in ochem are the most important of the sciences however I am unsure if this is true. I would imagine many schools may not accept online credit for pre-reqs and many more would strongly prefer applicants not take pre-reqs online (even though they may not explicitly admit this) Instead of taking it online, many schools allow you to take biochem instead of ochem 2.

I do know that some schools will allow an applicant to take biochem online. I know of 1 school that accepts an online biochem course.

Long story short, check with each school you applied to.

I would be very cautious about taking an online course as a pre-req especially ochem which is generally one of the hardest pre-reqs. I have been told by my adviser that your grades in ochem are the most important of the sciences however I am unsure if this is true. I would imagine many schools may not accept online credit for pre-reqs and many more would strongly prefer applicants not take pre-reqs online (even though they may not explicitly admit this) Instead of taking it online, many schools allow you to take biochem instead of ochem 2.

I do know that some schools will allow an applicant to take biochem online. I know of 1 school that accepts an online biochem course.

Long story short, check with each school you applied to.

I have taken both org 1 and orgo 2 ...but it was on a quarter system so they are telling me I need an orgo 3. I received A's in both classes, and also took biochem and received an A-.

I don't want to make my application look and by taking an online course. Do you know if I would be able to take and orgo class this spring 2016 in time for fall of 2016? would dental schools accept that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken both org 1 and orgo 2 ...but it was on a quarter system so they are telling me I need an orgo 3. I received A's in both classes, and also took biochem and received an A-.

I don't want to make my application look and by taking an online course. Do you know if I would be able to take and orgo class this spring 2016 in time for fall of 2016? would dental schools accept that?
Technically yes. Everything must be done by matriculation in the fall. I would contact the schools and ask if you should take orgo in the spring or if they'd prefer you to take an upper level class or what.

Why don't you just take an Orgo II lab rather than retake the whole lecture?