Help! Options if i don't like my active duty assignment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Panama Red

Supa Dupa Fly Doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year Air Force HPSP applying for Psych. There are only 2 programs, Wright Pat and Wilford Hall. I'm not very happy with the options and locations. I spoke with a Navy HPSP psych resident in a civilian program. She told me that she was initially assigned an active duty residency spot. She was not pleased either. Thus she completed her PGY1 and put in her papers for GMO, to payback her time and leave the military, if she wasn't granted civilian deferment for the rest of residency training. As she inferred, due to the military's high need for psychiatrists, she was subsequently given her civilian deferment. I feel very strongly about civilian deferment for family reasons among other factors. As an Air Force HPSP, what are my options if I am selected for an active duty spot, but I am not happy with the decision? Do Air Force docs have the same capability to payback their time immediately after medical school and then be discharged from the military?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to take the internship you are given. During internship you apply for a PGY2 position. If you don't like the choices you could opt for a GMO tour. What are some of the reasons why you don't want to do a military residency? The residencies are accredited by the ACGME and have a higher board pass rate. Are you looking to go to one of the best programs in the nation or something??

Get used to not liking your options and locations. Everything is about the needs of the AF, so even if you go the GMO route to avoid a residency you don't want, your first assigment out of internship will be the same way. You may get lucky, you may not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get used to not liking your options and locations. Everything is about the needs of the AF, so even if you go the GMO route to avoid a residency you don't want, your first assigment out of internship will be the same way. You may get lucky, you may not.

Yeah, this is one of those very important freedoms you give up. You may read about it, and say you understand, but when its happening to you, only then can you realize the gravity of the situation.

The AF will do what it want with you when it wants. If you do not like your training program, the alternative would be to become a flight surgeon with the same crappy (to some), options of going where they need you.

I hope you get what you want. Then I hope you can finish your 4 yrs in a relatively happy manner. Keep us updated.

It might be too late for you being an MSIV, but I got an email earlier from the Navy HPSP higher ups that were looking for Air Force and Army students who might want to swap with Navy HPSP students. There is a contact person who was listed in the email, so if you wanted to see if this was still an option, PM me and Ill give it to you or you can give me your contact info and I would send it to him. Your options then would include Portsmouth, VA; San Diego, CA; and Bethesda/Walter Reed (although the latter is also an AF option).

I've been to all the psych programs at least to interview and if you still have swapping as an option I'd be happy to give you my opinions of the programs too. I'm doing Navy psych. I think the army has a choice of DC and Hawaii only. I was happy that I had the three options, but I also liked all the programs for different reasons.

Help! Options if i don't like my active duty assignment?

NONE!

I am a 4th year Air Force HPSP applying for Psych. There are only 2 programs, Wright Pat and Wilford Hall. I'm not very happy with the options and locations. I spoke with a Navy HPSP psych resident in a civilian program. She told me that she was initially assigned an active duty residency spot. She was not pleased either. Thus she completed her PGY1 and put in her papers for GMO, to payback her time and leave the military, if she wasn't granted civilian deferment for the rest of residency training. As she inferred, due to the military's high need for psychiatrists, she was subsequently given her civilian deferment. I feel very strongly about civilian deferment for family reasons among other factors. As an Air Force HPSP, what are my options if I am selected for an active duty spot, but I am not happy with the decision? Do Air Force docs have the same capability to payback their time immediately after medical school and then be discharged from the military?

Your options are the same as hers. Complete your internship, be a GMO, and get out if they won't give you a deferment.

Pretty simple.

regarding the above post about switching from AF to navy, is this a possibility for internal medicine ppl in the army? I am an MS IV and in the process of applying to residencies. Was there a chance for me to have switched to navy and try for san diego? Is there a possibility after my PGY1 year?

Turst me, act before you're on active duty. As long as you're willing to consider all options, you can just get out of the military.

I think it's just good form to reimburse the country for the monies they've spent on your behalf. Unfortunately, I can offer no good tips, but it's your life, and at the end of the day, you only have to answer to yourself. Act accordingly.

Turst me, act before you're on active duty. As long as you're willing to consider all options, you can just get out of the military.

I think it's just good form to reimburse the country for the monies they've spent on your behalf. Unfortunately, I can offer no good tips, but it's your life, and at the end of the day, you only have to answer to yourself. Act accordingly.

Got a question following the above quote about getting out. How do you do it? Asking for I need to get out at this point of my life. I am MS IV on Navy HPSP, have no regrets that signed up, but due to some situation, that is beyond my control I am considering getting out. I have no problems with paying money back. May be I am still in a spur of a moment, but as of now I want out, not sure will not regret later.

Any thoughts? Please

Got a question following the above quote about getting out. How do you do it? Asking for I need to get out at this point of my life. I am MS IV on Navy HPSP, have no regrets that signed up, but due to some situation, that is beyond my control I am considering getting out. I have no problems with paying money back. May be I am still in a spur of a moment, but as of now I want out, not sure will not regret later.

Any thoughts? Please

At this stage of the game, the Navy is not going to just let you out.

I am afraid that with my problems I will go for Psych treatment myself even before I will try to apply for separation, and I am not pulling anybody's leg. Sorry.