Help paying off student loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where do you find 100+ units for so little 350k + 800k? $11k/unit, is that a shack LOL? Give me the address I wanna see what the unit look like.
In da hood, yo. I met a guy who got some houses for around $5k that were boarded up, abandoned, etc. He fixed them up a little bit, and does rent-to-own with them.

Members don't see this ad.

pretty sure he bought when the real estate market was bad, now it's outrageous.

Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful
-Warren Buffett

whoa! I skip a few days and the thread blows up!!

but this pumps me up!

I feel pretty pathetic with my budgeting and frugal living compared to you guys, but this motivates me to do a better job!

@n64bomb - that is pretty impressive! few questions:
1.) did you have any help (ie. did your parents help you put a down payment on your properties? do you have parents or friends in real estate that helped you find a good opportunity to invest? how did you get experience in real estate investing and renovations without getting ripped off?)
2.) where did you do research for investments? Everytime I try to research, it seems like it's a company looking to sell a seminar on "getting rich", but in reality, they're not rich...they just sell a seminar.
3.) my loans will be paid off by next year - how would you outline the process for getting into commercial real estate? seems like that's where all the big bucks are

the other big surprise I have - is that if it's so simple, why isn't everyone else doing it? I had a plan to buy 3-family homes in SoCal - but there are dozen other investors that will bid me out...inflating the value of the property beyond what an RPh salary can afford without a sizable down payment. It is easy, but everyone else was doing it, so I never even get a chance.

& as momus said - I'm also uneasy about doing that "on the side" while working full time...my parents had small businesses as I grew up, and it was a 60 hour/week commitment...but then again, if you want it enough, you'll find the time.

@ momus - same with you man, where do you invest? even if I'm not making $20k/month, after my loans are paid off, I'd like to hit a mil in 6 years! did you have any EOC after you graduated, and did you live at home?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gosh, this thread has turned into a bragging competition over who has the most money.

Well I guess the most important thing is, if you want to become wealthy, you must learn to become a capitalist. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines "capitalist" very simply and perfectly:

a person who has a lot of money, property, etc., and who uses those things to produce more money

Sorry to bust anyone's dreams, but you're not going to become wealthy on a pharmacist's salary alone. If you spend it all on cars, vacations, handbags, etc., or basically things that do not produce money, then at the end of the day, all of your money will be spent, and eventually if you get laid off or retire, your salary will be gone too, so you will have nothing.

The salary does however, provide a good source of starting capital to invest in things that produce more money. I know it takes a lot of discipline, especially in the beginning to not spend it all, but you need to think about the long-term, bigger picture on your way to becoming a capitalist. Paying off student loans, and saving for retirement are just simple things to start on. After that when you learn more about investing, understanding risk, and get more involved, you will see more opportunities, and the potential and rewards are pretty much limitless.

Reactions: 4 users
The salary does however, provide a good source of starting capital to invest in things that produce more money. I know it takes a lot of discipline, especially in the beginning to not spend it all, but you need to think about the long-term, bigger picture on your way to becoming a capitalist. Paying off student loans, and saving for retirement are just simple things to start on. After that when you learn more about investing, understanding risk, and get more involved, you will see more opportunities, and the potential and rewards are pretty much limitless.

Just double check the retirement planner on projected worth based on the current savings rate... our kids will stand to inherit $5 mil if we both managed to live to 90. But once my wife finish off her student loans too in the next couple of month, it will free up almost $7k a month. Plan to invest the majority of that, not sure into what yet. It's interesting to be contemplating the question that once personal financial freedom is secured, what's the purpose to amass ever increasing wealth? I want to raise my kids to rise on their own merits, not necessarily giving them millions of dollars.

My parents once had a rather awkward chat with me, saying all they have one day will be left to me. But I neither desire or need it, as they raised me a self made man. So did they over do it and now much of it will go to waste? Maybe for most working pharmacists, who will have no trouble saving enough for retirement, the first question need asking is what do you want to do with that money.

Just double check the retirement planner on projected worth based on the current savings rate... our kids will stand to inherit $5 mil if we both managed to live to 90. But once my wife finish off her student loans too in the next couple of month, it will free up almost $7k a month. Plan to invest the majority of that, not sure into what yet. It's interesting to be contemplating the question that once personal financial freedom is secured, what's the purpose to amass ever increasing wealth? I want to raise my kids to rise on their own merits, not necessarily giving them millions of dollars.

My parents once had a rather awkward chat with me, saying all they have one day will be left to me. But I neither desire or need it, as they raised me a self made man. So did they over do it and now much of it will go to waste? Maybe for most working pharmacists, who will have no trouble saving enough for retirement, the first question need asking is what do you want to do with that money.

you underestimate your parents' effort. If you want to reach higher, it is always beneficial to reach from a higher position.

you underestimate your parents' effort. If you want to reach higher, it is always beneficial to reach from a higher position.

I appreciate how hard our family worked, poorer than dirt to richer than most. The irony is it is preciously the pain and struggle that built us for success. Having too much security will dull one's competitiveness.

There is an ancient saying in china, wealth doesn't survive 3 generations. Teach a good child how to succeed will trump giving them any amount of money. Losers will always lose it all somehow, as shown by every empire and dynasty that fell.

Last edited:
I appreciate how hard our family worked, poorer than dirt to richer than most. The irony is it is preciously the pain and struggle that built us for success.

There is an ancient saying in china, wealth doesn't survive 3 generations.

I think its better to teach a child to succeed than giving them any amount of money, a loser will always lose it all somehow, even entire empires.

Wealth does survive in more than 3 generations if you have over abundance (billions). You literally can't spend it all. But for an average wealth, we'll probably accumulate $10M-50M in our lifetime, which is still easily spendable. My plan is to put it in a trust fund, and children will only get it when they are at least 40 yr old so they already know the struggle of life. To ensure legacy and get the inheritance, they have to have a good financial habit, not squander every last penny they make, and they also have to be good moral character. If not, all of it will go to charity or I am gonna spend it all by having more than 4% withdrawal rates in my 70s.

Reactions: 1 user

Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fu3king time. - "Wolf of Wall Street"

Reactions: 2 users
Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fu3king time. - "Wolf of Wall Street"
"If you're concerned about the poor people, it can seem like a meaningful show of solidarity to be poor yourself — it can seem like we should live with less, because others have less themselves. But if poor people had more money, they almost certainly wouldn't turn it away so they could continue being poor out of protest. And you being poor doesn't help a poor person either. You having money can certainly help a poor person, a sick person, a bored person, etc. And all of us spending money is what keeps it moving around — it keeps modern civilization functioning." -- Andrew W.K.

Being poor isn't noble, but it is a way to motivating people. It's the determination not to be poor that saw my family climb our way up. But let's not side track.

While everyone is so focused on numbers, I don't see how many are thinking about to what purpose they are amassing wealth once beyond the point of surely having enough to die on.

Like with my parents, I never took any of their offer for financial help since undergrad, because they raised me to fend for myself in a foreign land. Now if they just want to leave me money as their goal, then it conflicts with how they raised me. I want to teach my kids to be successful by their own right. So my goal isn't to leave them millions of dollars.

Has others thought about it? Some might want to have a really big bank account. Some might want to climb mount everest 10 times. Think about what you want to accomplish in life, there is no right or wrong answer. But there should be personal goal/purpose there for that money, I think.

Last edited:
Being poor isn't noble, but it is a way to motivating people. It's the determination not to be poor that saw my family climb our way up. But let's not side track.

While everyone is so focused on numbers, I don't see how many are thinking about to what purpose they are amassing wealth once beyond the point of surely having enough to die on.

Like with my parents, I never took any of their offer for financial help since undergrad, because they raised me to fend for myself in a foreign land.

Now if they just want to leave me money as their goal, then it conflicts with how they raised me. I want to teach my kids to be successful by their own right. So my goal isn't to leave them millions of dollars.

Has others thought about it? Some might want to have a really big bank account. Some might want to climb mount everest 10 times. Think about what you want to accomplish in life, there is no right or wrong answer. But there should be personal goal/purpose there for that money, I think.

you are lucky to be living in America, a land of abundant opportunity still. Have you ever thought that if you had grown up dirt poor in China, India, or even Africa (for the sake of this example) and did not have any help from your family/friends, you would have been able to reach where you are today?

I like what Momus said in his post I quoted below. And I know you know about Warren Buffet :)

Wealth does survive in more than 3 generations if you have over abundance (billions). You literally can't spend it all. But for an average wealth, we'll probably accumulate $10M-50M in our lifetime, which is still easily spendable. My plan is to put it in a trust fund, and children will only get it when they are at least 40 yr old so they already know the struggle of life. To ensure legacy and get the inheritance, they have to have a good financial habit, not squander every last penny they make, and they also have to be good moral character. If not, all of it will go to charity or I am gonna spend it all by having more than 4% withdrawal rates in my 70s.

I think the success/wealth of any child is the cumulative effect of not only the child's effort himself/herself but also the parents' effort, sacrifice, and wisdom.

Last edited:
Have you ever thought that if you had grown up dirt poor in China, India, or even Africa (for the sake of this example) and did not have any help from your family/friends, you would have been able to reach where you are today?

Most of my relatives in china became very well off by the chinese standards. But our family was a poor, politically imprisoned one before China underwent reform. My grandpas were cellmates in a political prison during the Mao era and that's how my dad and mom met. My grandmas had to protected the kids when the red guards came to loot and beat our families.

Anyway, that may have been the reason why for so many of us worked so hard and became successful, so it shall not happen to us again. When I came here, one of the first thing my dad taught me was "you must do better than the others just so you can have an equal chance in their land.". That's truth for immigrants anywhere.

I think the success/wealth of any child is the cumulative effect of not only the child's effort himself/herself but also the parents' effort, sacrifice, and wisdom.
Absolutely agree. My parents whipped me into shape with a lot of tough love, and they endured just as much if not more. Although during my youth, I may have hated them at times, but I saw that they were right eventually. That's why I'm not going to leave my kids lots of money, but i am going teach them harshly and how it feels to be poor, so they may know what's the price if they fail.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
man I suck...May expenses done:

Earned: $6,546
Spent: $4,092
------------------------------
$2,453 = early loan payment for this month

****Breakdown****
$1790
- Rent + Loan Autopayment
$79.51 - Utilities: internet, gas/recycling/trash/electricity
$318.03 - Food ($65.22 "eating out", $123.75 eating @ work, $129.05 groceries)
$555 - Gas - I drove out to the desert SEVERAL times to go dirt bike riding...I like riding enough that I don't mind this expense
$217.41 - motorcycle upkeep/upgrade expenses - new chain/sprockets + installation, $84/year registration fees
$88 - track gate/entry fees
$158 - "other people" - took a pharmacy tech to the moto track and paid his admission, took a guy who was struggling with funds to a movie/dinner/bar
$260 - cash atm w' drawals...could be miscellaneous entertainment expenses (one $60 massage, played pool a couple times)
$23.97 - Book and home/toiletry expenses
$60 - car expenses: 1 street sweeping ticket, wiring for off-road lights
$500 - got a good deal on a kids dirtbike; going to flip it and make all my money back + profit

Goal: Make $3,000 loan payment this month - FAIL. Could've done it if I didn't buy the dirtbike that I'm flipping...

I can do better...cut back on eating out @ work, don't spend any money on other people this month, figure out where those "cash" withdrawals are being spent

Last edited:
man I suck...May expenses done:

Earned: $6,546
Spent: $4,092
------------------------------
$2,453 = early loan payment for this month

****Breakdown****
$1790
- Rent + Loan Autopayment
$79.51 - Utilities: internet, gas/recycling/trash/electricity
$318.03 - Food ($65.22 "eating out", $123.75 eating @ work, $129.05 groceries)
$555 - Gas - I drove out to the desert SEVERAL times to go dirt bike riding...I like riding enough that I don't mind this expense
$217.41 - motorcycle upkeep/upgrade expenses - new chain/sprockets + installation, $84/year registration fees
$88 - track gate/entry fees
$158 - "other people" - took a pharmacy tech to the moto track and paid his admission, took a guy who was struggling with funds to a movie/dinner/bar
$260 - cash atm w' drawals...could be miscellaneous entertainment expenses (one $60 massage, played pool a couple times)
$23.97 - Book and home/toiletry expenses
$60 - car expenses: 1 street sweeping ticket, wiring for off-road lights
$500 - got a good deal on a kids dirtbike; going to flip it and make all my money back + profit

Goal: Make $3,000 loan payment this month - FAIL. Could've done it if I didn't buy the dirtbike that I'm flipping...

I can do better...cut back on eating out @ work, don't spend any money on other people this month, figure out where those "cash" withdrawals are being spent

What's the big deal about the small investment in the kids' dirt bike? Perhaps the profit will overcome the small amount of interest that accumulated on that $500 or so you spent on it? ;)

not a big deal...

you know how n64bomb got to his ability to buy commercial real estate after flipping some real estate?

I'd like to do that someday...but right now I don't have the cash. I just "practice" on something I do know - how to value a dirtbike. It's perfect: the economy is poor so people liquidate their toys, someone just got married/has a kid and needs to let the bike go fast, or they bought it for their GF and she only rode once. I see it pop up, I pounce fast with cash, clean it up for a good CL ad, ride it a little, then sell it. Boom. $500 profit

figure out where those "cash" withdrawals are being spent
Do you have a credit card that gives you cash back rewards? If not, I would recommend that you get one, and charge everything you can on it to reduce that unknown cash spending. You'll get a monthly statement with everything on it, and can just pay the full statement balance off once a month to avoid interest. I'm not worried that you'll charge more than you can afford since it's obvious that you already track and control your spending very well. Something like the Chase Freedom card will give you 1-5% in cash back rewards, so you could be getting about $25 cash back every month. Only thing is I believe gas stations in California charge extra to use credit cards so don't do that if it's more than the cash back.

Do you have a credit card that gives you cash back rewards? If not, I would recommend that you get one, and charge everything you can on it to reduce that unknown cash spending. You'll get a monthly statement with everything on it, and can just pay the full statement balance off once a month to avoid interest. I'm not worried that you'll charge more than you can afford since it's obvious that you already track and control your spending very well. Something like the Chase Freedom card will give you 1-5% in cash back rewards, so you could be getting about $25 cash back every month. Only thing is I believe gas stations in California charge extra to use credit cards so don't do that if it's more than the cash back.

Second this, especially since they have a nice sign-up bonus right now. The good thing about the chase freedom as opposed to say the Discover It is you can get statement credit or a check from your cash back at any amount (i.e. not $25 increments like Discover).

Second this, especially since they have a nice sign-up bonus right now. The good thing about the chase freedom as opposed to say the Discover It is you can get statement credit or a check from your cash back at any amount (i.e. not $25 increments like Discover).
I have a Capital One card that's 1% on everything, had something like 5% for a promo rate to start. Can redeem for gift cards, statement credit, personal check. I don't know why you wouldn't just do the statement credit, there's no bonus for doing gift cards. I almost never use cash because I want to maximize my rewards. I would switch to a card that has better rewards, but I've had this card for a while and it makes up the bulk of my credit history.

I have a Capital One card that's 1% on everything, had something like 5% for a promo rate to start. Can redeem for gift cards, statement credit, personal check. I don't know why you wouldn't just do the statement credit, there's no bonus for doing gift cards. I almost never use cash because I want to maximize my rewards. I would switch to a card that has better rewards, but I've had this card for a while and it makes up the bulk of my credit history.

Chase Freedom rotates 5% cash back quarterly on useful categories (Gas, Restaurants, Amazon.com) and has no annual fee which makes it a no-brainier even if you keep it in the sock drawer half the year.

I.e. on gas purchases alone Muse could make $75 back between July and Sept.

I am charging those items on my card, but the issue is that those unknown items, I pay with cash and don't track - but they'll just show as a $40.97 charge on my debit card...in that case I would've bought a pack of gum and pulled $40 cash...then spending it at a dinner while splitting the check, laundry, or buying some gas in CA with cash...who knows?

I just need to write 'em down, but sometimes I forget...or too busy/lazy

I don't, however, have a good cashback credit card...need to sign up for one that optimizes my rewards based on my spending!

$75 beans would be great! But in CA - most gas purchases are cash because you get a discount...the question is - is it more than the cashback reward?

$75 beans would be great! But in CA - most gas purchases are cash because you get a discount...the question is - is it more than the cashback reward?
I'm not sure how it is in CA, but around here a few gas stations have the "cash discount." It usually is only 10 cents, which is something like 2-3%. But then you also have to carry cash with you, wait in line, look at all the impulse buy items on the counter. If you're getting 20 gallons of gas, paying 10 cents extra per gallon is only 2 dollars. With the rewards on the card, and the convenience, it might be a wash.

But in CA - most gas purchases are cash because you get a discount...the question is - is it more than the cashback reward?

In FL, the types of stations that offer this (Mobil, mostly) just advertise their discounted price. This is normally 2-3 cents/gallon less than the avg price in the area. Here, this seems more like a tactic to trick drivers who normally don't pay cash into paying an extra 10-15 cents per gallon. But I could very well be mistaken.

If we're talking CC's, the Barclaycard Arrival is a good choice for those who like to travel. Big sign-up bonus, 2% back on everything, and no airline restrictions. There is an annual fee starting in the second year, but if you use it as your only CC and put just about all of your expenses on it, it's still worth it. WVU mentioned it in another thread I think.

Double pharmacist household, 2 kids. Kept about $50k in emergency fund, but recently used the bulk of it to pay off most of my wife's remaining student loans.

Reasoning:
Double income means both not being able to work is very unlikely.
Paying off her loan =$1300/month less bills, able to live on 1 income indefintely
Short/long term disability, life, medical insurance are in place, Roth 401k principle can act as a safety net.

In 2 months we will totally be done with our student loans, we will have the wonderful dilemma of where to invest all that excess cash. It's gonna be sweet!

Wrote this on 05/20/2014. Well, just made the last payment on my wife's student loans, a bit ahead of the schedule. Free at last! Free at last! 2 years and 355 days after residency, thank God almighty we are free at last!

Only got $6K cash left in the bank right now though. It's time to rebuild the emergency fund. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Wrote this on 05/20/2014. Well, just made the last payment on my wife's student loans, a bit ahead of the schedule. Free at last! Free at last! 2 years and 355 days after residency, thank God almighty we are free at last!

Only got $6K cash left in the bank right now though. It's time to rebuild the emergency fund. :)

Nice job sir! With two pharmacist incomes and no student debt, you will be rolling in it soon.

If we're talking CC's, the Barclaycard Arrival is a good choice for those who like to travel. Big sign-up bonus, 2% back on everything, and no airline restrictions. There is an annual fee starting in the second year, but if you use it as your only CC and put just about all of your expenses on it, it's still worth it. WVU mentioned it in another thread I think.

We have Capital One Venture…also good for those who love to travel! They have cash back and other rewards as well, but we just use our rewards to pay for travel expenses. The annual fee pays for itself.

Nice job sir! With two pharmacist incomes and no student debt, you will be rolling in it soon.

Thanks. It feels abit bewildering when all sudden there's almost $7K a month at your disposal that wasn't there a month before. Will still try to invest most of that, but yeah, it's time to let ourselves live a little too. :)

I have the Capital One Quicksilver card and you get 1.5% back. You can get a check or use it as a statement credit. On Capital One's website, you can now get a free credit report.

I also have an older Bank of America Mastercard, which gets points. You can get cash on the points.

I have the Costco TrueEarnings AMEX card... 3% on gas, 2% on restaurants and travel, 1% on everything else. Annual fee is just the Costco membership fee (was gonna pay that anyway).

I have an old Southwest Airlines card that's the oldest account in my wallet, so I keep it around. $59 annual fee on that one. I usually fly to cities served by WN so it's fine.

Fidelity reward AMEX with 2% back on everything, no reward limit and no fee is probably the best everyday card right now. The only problem is that AMEX isn't accepted in few places, so you have to carry a backup card. They have the VISA reward card, with a 1.5% back.

What's the interest rate on that though, dancing panda? I only have 1 cc, it has no awards, but 7.99 interest.

What's the interest rate on that though, dancing panda? I only have 1 cc, it has no awards, but 7.99 interest.

It's 14%, but it doesn't matter if you pay in full every month.

Which I would with a pharmacist salary so will keep in mind for sure.

well, I totally sucked the last 2 months...but making money with money!

conservative figures -
1.) bought $500 dirt bike - can sell for $800
2.) bought $800 dirt bike - can sell for $1,200
3.) bought family package deal - 4 bikes, quad, trailer for $4,000 - can sell 2 bikes and make $4,000 back - sell other 2 bikes/quad/trailer and make about $2,500 profit
4.) have leftover $890 bike - can sell for $1,100

investment = $6190, can make $3410 profit = 55% return!

perk - get to ride all of them...going to put towards loans and keep chipping away to clear out the last $60k

well, I totally sucked the last 2 months...but making money with money!

conservative figures -
1.) bought $500 dirt bike - can sell for $800
2.) bought $800 dirt bike - can sell for $1,200
3.) bought family package deal - 4 bikes, quad, trailer for $4,000 - can sell 2 bikes and make $4,000 back - sell other 2 bikes/quad/trailer and make about $2,500 profit
4.) have leftover $890 bike - can sell for $1,100

investment = $6190, can make $3410 profit = 55% return!

perk - get to ride all of them...going to put towards loans and keep chipping away to clear out the last $60k

Sometimes working on bikes takes more time than simply working overtime at 90/h. To get $3410, you need 37h OT so about 5 overtime shifts, of course, this will be taxed 28% vs. your cash hobby business.

If you can reasonably refinish/sell all those in 37 hours, then by all means do it since you are getting 90/h working on your possible tax free income hobby.

Sometimes working on bikes takes more time than simply working overtime at 90/h. To get $3410, you need 37h OT so about 5 overtime shifts, of course, this will be taxed 28% vs. your cash hobby business.

If you can reasonably refinish/sell all those in 37 hours, then by all means do it since you are getting 90/h working on your possible tax free income hobby.

The intangible here is if he derives enjoyment from working on a bike (which it sounds like it). In that case, if his other choice is going to Disneyland or drinking Macallan 21, which is a more appropriate comparison with a leisure activity vs. working, then he's doing well.

But you're right if his hobby is a replacement for work, then that's something to consider.

hmmm...I do need to start putting a dollar amount on my time

however, employer is trying to cut back on OT - they won't let us do any without manager approval...so moto work = as much as I want, and RPh work = capped @ 40 hours

but CFF is right - I friggen looooove it

vlcsnap-2014-08-02-18h50m18s114.jpg

screw xanax/ativan/klonopin/ssri's...I reduce anxiety and stress through moto!

vlcsnap-2014-07-27-19h57m13s243.jpg

on the days I work = make money from work

on the days off - I usually spend money...so this way I'm making money too!

does anyone one know any internet only companies? verizon and comcast have but its about 70 box, looking for something thats like 30-40 lol

uh oh...you want an update?

I stopped...

I should really re-start...it's good to know where it's going so it doesn't go without me knowing