Help picking part-time clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad1717

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to work part time next semester to gain more experience and have been offered several positions. What would you choose between:
  • PCT in ICU 12 hours/week
  • PCT Neuro 12 hours/week
  • PCT Innovation floor 16 hours/week (tries out new ideas for the health care system, getting a robot in the spring, basically a Med/Surg floor)
  • PCT Med/Surg 16 hours/week
  • Nursing Assistant Oncology 12 hours/week
  • Lab Assistant 12 hours/week (lots of phlebotomy)
I'm taking three lab courses next semester and also planning to take the MCAT in May.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend the opportunity which you believe will provide you with the greatest breadth and volume of exposure to challenging and uncomfortable situations. Of your list, this appears to be the ICU or Oncology. Between these two, each will have their own pro's and con's. I would personally choose the ICU because you will see young drug overdoses and alcoholics right alongside the very old and critically ill, as well as a first hand look into how their families are involved or not involved with their care. This aspect of medicine, especially how people treat their vulnerable ill dependents, both young and old--is very eye opening.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you get to do different things as a PCT and nursing assistant? (In my hospital these are synonymous roles).

I would avoid the "innovations" floor... I laughed out loud when I read that.

Learn how to care for patients soup to nuts--would do ICU, or one of the med surg units--e.g. neuro, oncology, or general med surg. ICU may teach you more hard medicine, but one of the lower acuity floors may give you better experience learning to talk with patients. So, it depends on what you're going for.

Reactions: 1 user