Help please! 31M, 3.5GPA low verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoundGood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
So I've been quiet on SND for a while now trying to out what I should do. I was hoping some of you could advise me on some of my options because I'm quite lost. I applied to 25 schools (mostly low-mid tier) for the 2011 cycle and haven't gotten a single interview and seeing as its April I think it's pretty safe to say I won't get any.
My stats are:
3.55 BCPM
31M (7V, 10PS, 14BS)
I have 1 year of research in a muscle physiology lab, around 100 hours of volunteering (in Taiwan/U.S.) and 50~ hours of shadowing a general surgeon and neurologist.
I spent most of my downtime doing volunteer work at a local hospital this past year.
I was thinking that it was probably my ECs or low verbal score that got me no acceptances this year but I was wondering what other people thought?
Do you think I have a chance if I keep my MCAT score and reapply early this year (my application wasn't complete till 9/2/2010 last cycle) with revised personal statement and increased ECs? Any advice I would really really appreciate!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The 7 in VR is hurting you big time.

What is your cGPA?

It is my general understanding that...

GPA/MCAT --> Interview
ECs/Interview skills --> acceptance

So, the fact that you didn't get any interview invites last application cycle indicates to me that either your GPA or MCAT weren't up to par. Since your BCPM looks decent (and assuming your cGPA is in the same range), I suspect it might be your verbal score.

Therefore, I think a retake is in order. It also wouldn't hurt to continue with some non-medical volunteering in the meantime, so your ECs look more well-rounded if you are fortunate enough to receive an interview this time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the fast responses guys!
I was trying to avoid retaking the MCAT again because I wasn't sure if I could replicate my BS score. My cGPA is 3.53 btw
Do you think its too late to restudy for the MCAT right now and take it again lets say in August? Will I be applying too late in the cycle again? I really want to make the best out of my second time around and hopefully get an interview... Thanks again for your advice I really really appreciate it because I have no sense of direction right now :/

Do you think its too late to restudy for the MCAT right now and take it again lets say in August? Will I be applying too late in the cycle again?

I think if you submitted the rest of your application in early June and shot for an MCAT at the end of the summer (late July?) you'd be in good shape. Maybe hold off on summer classes and stick to ECs and studying for the exam.

... and start reading. A lot. Anything that you find on a bookshelf that you might find intimidating or dry, pick it up and start reading.

There are not a lot of OOS-friendly US MD schools with a bottom tenth percentile of 7 or lower. A higher VS would be important. And considering your GPAs are below the average for those accepted, it would be a good idea to get As in more science classes, too.

Your clinical experience will probably be above average by now. You might want to add a primary care doc to your shadowing. Your research time is about average. What about nonmedical community service, teaching, and leadership?

There's no point to rushing your application if you will still be at a disadvantage. Why not take an extra year and do it right?

If you are set on reapplying this coming season, you might add some DO schools to have a decent chance of an acceptance somewhere.

Thank you for some great advice I will definitely put a lot of thought into it... I think I'm leaning towards retaking the MCAT in August and skipping this upcoming cycle.

I have tutored 5th graders in math for about 1 year when I was still an undergrad I don't know if that counts as community service?

Where did you apply to if you don't mind me asking?