Help Please - Thank you!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KcDO17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm first time poster but long time reader. I could really use some brutally honest advice. I have just received my Step 2 scores and couldn't be more disappointed. Based on my credentials, I would like some feedback on my realistic chances of matching into a Rad Onc residency. Any response is greatly appreciated.

Dual-degree DO/MBA
Med School Class Rank/GPA: 29 of 227, GPA 3.6
MBA GPA: 3.8
Step 1: 226
Step 2: 225
Research Exp: 3 publications in cancer in high impact journals (no first author nor radiation oncology directed but focused on cancer immunology/biology), 15+ abstracts/poster/oral presentations in same focus
Volunteer Exp: 30+
Work Exp: 5+

Currently completing an away at a smaller program in the midwest that is growing fast with its reputation only improving. In my meeting w/ the Chairman this past week, he was extremely complimentary with my performance thus far and even stated " from what I've seen so far, you're the best student we've had rotate through here since I took over the department 4 years ago." This program would be a realistic shot, but the only issue is this program is very loyal to their own students and only offer 1-2 spots each year.

I'm currently scheduled to head to another smaller midwest program from my hometown this next month (9/23-10/19) and also plan to rotate out to a program in the Pacific NW (10/28-11/20). I'm also invited to complete another elective at a 4th program (smaller and also in the midwest) from 11/22-12/20. Do I keep these rotations? Do I take the fourth offer with the hopes that 1 of these 4 will take a chance on me?

Any suggestion/advice you have would be a tremendously appreciated gesture. Thank you and all the best!

Members don't see this ad.

Start by taking a deep breath. It is a very competitive field and the average step 1 scores are higher than yours. But, if you look at previous NMRP match data it charts out match rates by board score and you will see the majority of 220s do match. You have more than the average publication and research and an MBA which is fairly unique. Your a DO so that does play in but Im not the best to speak to exactly how. G funk will certainly have something to say.

Bottom line is if this is your dream its not dead. Keep working hard, apply broadly and the worst thing that would happen is you wouldn't match. That seems much worse now than it is but its much better than doing the wrong specialty because you didn't even try.

I'm first time poster but long time reader. I could really use some brutally honest advice. I have just received my Step 2 scores and couldn't be more disappointed. Based on my credentials, I would like some feedback on my realistic chances of matching into a Rad Onc residency. Any response is greatly appreciated.

Dual-degree DO/MBA
Med School Class Rank/GPA: 29 of 227, GPA 3.6
MBA GPA: 3.8
Step 1: 226
Step 2: 225
Research Exp: 3 publications in cancer in high impact journals (no first author nor radiation oncology directed but focused on cancer immunology/biology), 15+ abstracts/poster/oral presentations in same focus
Volunteer Exp: 30+
Work Exp: 5+

Currently completing an away at a smaller program in the midwest that is growing fast with its reputation only improving. In my meeting w/ the Chairman this past week, he was extremely complimentary with my performance thus far and even stated " from what I've seen so far, you're the best student we've had rotate through here since I took over the department 4 years ago." This program would be a realistic shot, but the only issue is this program is very loyal to their own students and only offer 1-2 spots each year.

I'm currently scheduled to head to another smaller midwest program from my hometown this next month (9/23-10/19) and also plan to rotate out to a program in the Pacific NW (10/28-11/20). I'm also invited to complete another elective at a 4th program (smaller and also in the midwest) from 11/22-12/20. Do I keep these rotations? Do I take the fourth offer with the hopes that 1 of these 4 will take a chance on me?

Any suggestion/advice you have would be a tremendously appreciated gesture. Thank you and all the best!

Agree with ramses, I'd apply with a solid back up plan. But if you apply to all 80 programs, and only get a few interviews, you're only out $1000 bucks, which in the grand scheme to pursue your dreams is nothing.

For you, as a DO with below average step scores I think you need to keep the fourth away. Its hard without knowing where you are doing aways, but I think that it sounds like you are doing them at the right places (IE, mid tier.) Hopefully, one of these programs has a big wig so you can get at least one killer LOR as that will be crucial to your application.

I didn't meet any DO applicants last year, but I did meet a few DO attendings, so they are there! That said, there were 6-7 unfilled programs last year, mainly in the midwest, so I'm guessing this next year they will be interviewing more people from a wider cross section of the applicant pool, so your chances will be that much better!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely apply, but do so broadly. And scrap the away in the Pacific NW - there are only 2 programs there, one being notoriously incestuous and the other being competitive (despite having a reportedly mediocre program). If you PM me, I would be happy to tell you of some programs that may be more in your range.

Do as many aways as you can. Your best shot at matching is at one of the places you rotate. Try to rotate at mid to low level places with at least 2 spots for your year. Residency coordinators will be able to tell you how many spots they will have for your year. Many low/mid-level places have at least one "big-wig" that can write you a LOR.

Your research exp will help you out a lot.