Help please! Vet school possibilites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DA2110

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm about to graduate undergrad this May. My GPA is currently a 3.4. I was hoping I would be able to raise it this last semester. I've got A's in all my courses but am doing horribly in Biochem. I've already got a C- in Organic Chem 2 from two years ago. I haven't taken the GRE's yet... I'm doing that in July. I feel like my chances of getting into vet school is terrible now. Anyone experiencing the same problem and got through? Or any suggestions on what I can do? I've been panicking and it's great to find a place like this where everyone can help each other out. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm about to graduate undergrad this May. My GPA is currently a 3.4. I was hoping I would be able to raise it this last semester. I've got A's in all my courses but am doing horribly in Biochem. I've already got a C- in Organic Chem 2 from two years ago. I haven't taken the GRE's yet... I'm doing that in July. I feel like my chances of getting into vet school is terrible now. Anyone experiencing the same problem and got through? Or any suggestions on what I can do? I've been panicking and it's great to find a place like this where everyone can help each other out. Thanks! :)

Let me preface this by saying Im only speaking from what I've heard and read about on these forums as I have not applied yet. A 3.4 GPA isnt the end of the world. Its not going to be the strong point of your application but people have certainly gotten into vet school with less. You need to focus on the other areas of your application like getting a high GRE score and making sure you can get a high amount of vet experience in a varied field. If you want this bad enough you can achieve it!

Your only issue is that you may have to retake the orgo 2 because you must repeat anything less than a C for prereq classes for the majority of vet schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by an admissions person at Colorado that my Biochem courses were not looked at closely and what I really needed good grades in were Biology courses. This was bad for me because I am a Biochem major, but sounds great for you! Colorado would also be a good place to try for you because they do not look at overall GPA as much as other schools

don't freak. a 3.4 is pretty good. if you do well on your GRE, you should be fine. i was kinda the opposite. i have a 3.68 but i got a 980 on the GRE (very bad GRE score). I got a C in ecology (yes, ecology), and it wasn't the end of the world. get a ton of vet experience if you haven't already started. i think that is what helped me. i was put on a waiting list and got in (my 1st year applying). think about what makes you stand out as an applicant and go with that. good luck on your GRE. post any other concerns and we'll try to help you out! we're all in this together (plus, i'm already in, therefore i'm not your competition :))

Hi DA2110, You totally have a shot of getting into vet school. I had a 3.52 Gre's of 740 in math 410 in verbal and 3.5 writing (i suck at writing if you can't tell) and got an interview at davis and was waitlisted and got into western. I'm not that great during interviews, but its doable. I'm from California btw. And all teh statistics you see at each school shouldn't discourage you from applying. Their just averages, so they take people above the average and people below the average. So you have a shot! I know people who have had a 3.2 and got into Davis this year. GOOD LUCK in your application :-D.

Don't lose hope! I have about the same GPA now, had a C- in Orgo 2, got a C in biochem, and I got into vet school on my first attempt. Just make sure you study for the GREs and have the experience. I know that everything makes it seem like grades are everything, that's not the case.

Oh my god thank u guys so much! U've really helped make me feel better. I'm already planning on retaking Orgo 2 and have plenty of animal experience (although not really enough large animal). It's so much better hearing from so many different people going through the same thing, rather than just look at a bunch of statistics. I'll definitely be posting here again! In the meantime, good luck to everyone! :love:

i hope no one gets angry when they read my profile and wonder how i got in. i'm from PA, so Penn isn't the greatest state to be in state for if you have an instate (did that make sense, oh and i didn't even interview with penn). i applied with a 3.49 (but my grades were going up the last few sememsters, i can't say that about this spring semester though). i didn't have amazing vet experience, at least not compared to anyone else. i did well on the gre (760 Q, 540 V) but i never got the impression schools look at that a ton. i do do a lot of volunteer work with people though. anyway, i applied to EVERY school I could. I got three interviews, in at Kansas, waitlisted at 4, and just got off the list from Ohio. SO if i got in, i definately think you have a shot. Just don't overlook any schools, write a good personal statement, and show that you want it. Plus, this freak out you are going through, its part of the process.....

No worries. If you can't get into a US school there's always the caribbean. I'm in Cayman right now and it definitely doesn't feel like an "alternative". :love:

Good luck.