This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mn93jy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I just wanted to see what kind of advice I could get, as I am currently thinking dental school and will hopefully be applying next summer. I will be a rising junior anthropology major at a liberal arts college this coming fall. I am really nervous for the whole application process as well as taking the DAT's. My GPA isn't great-- I currently have a 3.2 cumulative at my home institution (they also deflate grades and hopefully it can go higher after my two semesters of junior year), and I have taken classes during the summer at different institutions (these are not added to my current gpa). I have shadowing experiences at different practices (shadowing some more this summer, hopefully I can get around 200+ hours from all the different practices combined) and volunteer hours (~100 hrs assisted living home). I am also a part of the pre-dental society at my school, but it's really small and I don't think it's such a big deal, since I bet all pre-dental students are a part of one? (let me know if I'm wrong!) I have yet to take the DAT, but I've been trying to study for the exam here and there while taking organic this summer. I will definitely need to buckle down during the fall semester and study for it during breaks, and hopefully I will take it in the spring. I already know two chemistry professors and a dentist who are willing to write me LORs. The dentist is also a faculty member of a dental school, and is willing to put in a good word when I apply (private institution). I have also met a dean from the institution as well. Although, I don't think that really means much? I feel like a nervous wreck, especially since a lot of students are doing so well...

So my questions are:
- Will my GPA be re-calculated since my college does deflate grades and I do have classes taken that are not incorporated?
- Also, does coming from a liberal arts college and being an anthropology major affect my application in a negative way?
-Were there any effective ways in studying or study materials that really helped you prep and do well for the DAT? I have been doing some practice questions, and I am realizing that the PAT is a really difficult section for me. Are there any books or study guides that can help with this?

Sorry for such a long post! I really would appreciate any of your advice and help!

Members don't see this ad.

In regards to DAT, make sure to check out the DAT section of SDN. The most common and successful resources are DAT destroyer and DAT bootcamp. Bootcamp will definitely help you with PAT. There is also a pretty great study schedule on DAT bootcamp. Make use of it! Best of luck!

In regards to DAT, make sure to check out the DAT section of SDN. The most common and successful resources are DAT destroyer and DAT bootcamp. Bootcamp will definitely help you with PAT. There is also a pretty great study schedule on DAT bootcamp. Make use of it! Best of luck!
ooh! Thanks so much! I didn't know that there was a study schedule... i will be sure to use it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!

I just wanted to see what kind of advice I could get, as I am currently thinking dental school and will hopefully be applying next summer. I will be a rising junior anthropology major at a liberal arts college this coming fall. I am really nervous for the whole application process as well as taking the DAT's. My GPA isn't great-- I currently have a 3.2 cumulative at my home institution (they also deflate grades and hopefully it can go higher after my two semesters of junior year), and I have taken classes during the summer at different institutions (these are not added to my current gpa). I have shadowing experiences at different practices (shadowing some more this summer, hopefully I can get around 200+ hours from all the different practices combined) and volunteer hours (~100 hrs assisted living home). I am also a part of the pre-dental society at my school, but it's really small and I don't think it's such a big deal, since I bet all pre-dental students are a part of one? (let me know if I'm wrong!) I have yet to take the DAT, but I've been trying to study for the exam here and there while taking organic this summer. I will definitely need to buckle down during the fall semester and study for it during breaks, and hopefully I will take it in the spring. I already know two chemistry professors and a dentist who are willing to write me LORs. The dentist is also a faculty member of a dental school, and is willing to put in a good word when I apply (private institution). I have also met a dean from the institution as well. Although, I don't think that really means much? I feel like a nervous wreck, especially since a lot of students are doing so well...

So my questions are:
- Will my GPA be re-calculated since my college does deflate grades and I do have classes taken that are not incorporated?
- Also, does coming from a liberal arts college and being an anthropology major affect my application in a negative way?
-Were there any effective ways in studying or study materials that really helped you prep and do well for the DAT? I have been doing some practice questions, and I am realizing that the PAT is a really difficult section for me. Are there any books or study guides that can help with this?

Sorry for such a long post! I really would appreciate any of your advice and help!

PM'ed you.

Your GPA won't be re-calculated because of 'deflated grades' (whatever you have on your transcript is what will be counted) but the classes you've taken at other institutions will be counted towards your GPA, giving you your AADSAS GPA (which is what dental schools look at).
No, neither of those will affect your application negatively.
I suggest looking at people's breakdowns in the DAT section (DAT Discussions) to get an idea of how to prepare for the exam. How are you currently practicing PAT?

Your GPA won't be re-calculated because of 'deflated grades' (whatever you have on your transcript is what will be counted) but the classes you've taken at other institutions will be counted towards your GPA, giving you your AADSAS GPA (which is what dental schools look at).

No, neither of those will affect your application negatively.

I suggest looking at people's breakdowns in the DAT section (DAT Discussions) to get an idea of how to prepare for the exam. How are you currently practicing PAT?

Thanks for your help! I've really just been doing practice problems and watching youtube videos on strategies how to approach the different types of questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.