HELP PLEASE!!!

anoda013

GPA-DREAMFIGHTER
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2013
MIAMI FLORIDA
  1. Pre-Dental
    Which organism shows a higher rate of fitness within her population?
    • A. A female who has no offspring.
    • B. A female who has 3 offspring and they all live.
    • C. A female who has 6 offspring and 4 die.
    • D. A female who has 9 offspring and 7 die.
    • E. A female who has 12 offspring and 11 die.
    The answer here is B.

I understand it but I just want to make sure I understand the concept better as I thought that Biological fitness meant the probability of passing on your genes on and the more offspring you have the higher your fitness is.

Then, my question is, does it only care about how many offspring you have or how many viable offspring which is the case here in this example. Thank you guys

artist2022

UCLA D4 🎉
    Administrator
    Volunteer Staff
    2+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Dec 25, 2016
    1. Dental Student
      Well, passing your genes on doesn't really mean much if your offspring die, right? So I guess the proper way to define fitness would be producing the most number of offspring that live to adulthood (and will eventually reproduce themselves). This ensures that your genes were at least passed on for one generation.

Reactions: 2 users
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.