Help!!!!!!!!!!!please!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DR PR33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i recently finished med school abroad, im interested in ophthalmology program in the near future, at the moment i am getting ready for the boards, someone told me that is very hard for a FMG to go for ophthalmology program or residency how true is this ???? i felted so frustrated that i am even thinking to go back to school here in the states for a O.D. program. i would still taking my steps but it would help me for a residency in ophthalmo in the future ??? or is a waste of time ??? i am VERY confused could anyone please help me to decide.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It is true that it is extremely difficult for an FMG to match Ophthalmology in the U.S., even with stellar board scores and publications. Many times, the FMGs who do match have either been trained ophthalmologists from abroad or have spent a few years in the U.S. doing research and making connections. It's by no means impossible, but not easy. Earning an O.D. would be unlikely to help an FMG match Ophthalmology since Optometry prepares an individual for a related, but different type of career. An O.D. wouldn't necessarily hurt an applicant, as there have been practicing Optometrists who entered medical school and latered matched into Ophthalmology residency, but spending 4 years to complete Optometry school would not make very much sense for an M.D. or D.O. whose ultimate goal is to do Ophthalmology. That time would be better spent as a research fellow in the U.S. and making the appropriate connections that could help one secure a spot.

It is true that it is extremely difficult for an FMG to match Ophthalmology in the U.S., even with stellar board scores and publications. Many times, the FMGs who do match have either been trained ophthalmologists from abroad or have spent a few years in the U.S. doing research and making connections. It's by no means impossible, but not easy. Earning an O.D. would be unlikely to help an FMG match Ophthalmology since Optometry prepares an individual for a related, but different type of career. An O.D. wouldn't necessarily hurt an applicant, as there have been practicing Optometrists who entered medical school and latered matched into Ophthalmology residency, but spending 4 years to complete Optometry school would not make very much sense for an M.D. or D.O. whose ultimate goal is to do Ophthalmology. That time would be better spent as a research fellow in the U.S. and making the appropriate connections that could help one secure a spot.

I would tend to agree. It doesn't look favorable to PDs when you do optometry to get to ophthalmology. It's a little suspect. You have to have a good reason for wanting to do optometry and getting into optho isn't one of them. my advice is to find a research position, preferably where they have a program and take ppl who do research and do that for 1+ years to build connections. A big hurdle for IMGs is that you have to prove yourself and show them you can communicate effectively, are a team player, etc.