HELP!!! Princton or Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaput

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this is such a typical question but conviniently enough there is'nt a typical answer.

Here are the facts:
kaplan has a video library, princton doesnt.
Princton people "seem" more friendly.
Both cost about the same.
Kaplan has t.v.s to watch the videos (lec videos and topic videos)
Princton "seems" to have better book material, did i mention princton people "seem" to be more friendly.

I know that you cant provide me with a streight forward answer, but any thing will help. Are they both even worth considering.

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Take Kaplan.

p-r-i-n-c-*E*-t-o-n.

Sorry, but I couldn't stand the error over and over.

best,
poohbear

Members don't see this ad :)
I teach for Kaplan. Here's my take. The best thing that we have to offer is the practice materials. If you're good at going over review-type materials yourself, I could advise you that you don't even have to go to class (except that then you wouldn't get the benefit of my expertise
wink.gif
) I also took Kaplan last year - I found the pracitce materials (numerous practice tests, both complete and sectional) to be of enormous value to me. From pretest to real thing, my grade went up 6 points total. I'm a big fan of Kaplan, and not just because they sign my paycheck. If you take it, though, USE THE TRAINING LIBRARY! It's what you're paying $1000 for! Take ALL of the practice tests, do ALL of the practice ?s, and read ALL of the things in the back that explain why each answer is right. If you work hard at that, I think Kaplan will be a big help for you, as it was for me. Good luck

I took the Princeton review course and found that the classes dd not help much. I would have done just as well with the study materials and practice test. If i were to do it all over again i would probably buy some review materials and order AAMC practice tests. Practice tests are the key! take a test, find what you missed and study it. This will save you alot of money. I can say it enough *take practice tests and review what you mised*
cool.gif

I know you're going to completely ignore what I say because it's not what you want to hear, but I'm going to say it anyway. You do not need either of them. Study on your own from one of their books, and take as many practice exams as you can, either from the back of those review books, or from the AAMC, or both. I took Princeton Review and I ended up studying everything on my own anyway because the lectures are pretty useless. The MCAT isn't a test where sillly tricks will do you any good (unlike the SAT where a few tricks here and there gets you 200 extra points). Basically, lectures will consist of relearning science material, something you will need to go over yourself to have any kind of firm understanding of. Save your money (AND YOUR TIME!) and do it yourself.

I'm gonna have to disagree w/ the above poster. Like I said above, there is really nowhere else that you can get the kind of exposure to practice materials as at the Kaplan library. I agree that the classes aren't all that great. But that's not what you're paying for. you're paying for getting to use those pracitce tests and questions. If you can swing it, I'd recommend that you do the Kaplan

I have to disagree with the above poster and agree with the poster above him. The Kaplan library is essentially a bunch of practice tests. While I agree that it is vitally important to take a multitude of exams to get used to spending 6-8 hours in heavy thought and concentration, I do NOT believe that you need to spend a thousand bucks to do so.

The AAMC tests (4 and 5 only - the rest are bunk) are under a hundred bucks. Definitely get those. Look for someone selling exams 1-5 from the Kaplan course (I got mine for $70 on eBay - make sure you find ones with no writing in it and with explanations - these are almost always available). You can get the PR in class tests in the same manner (again, I got tests A-D and a HUGE workbook of almost 100 passages in each section for $110). You should now have 11 tests for under $300. This is MORE than enough to work through. I couldn't even finish all of my tests - more than one a week is just overkill.

Another good idea is to buy commercial books with friends - you can split the price 50-50.