HELP! Questions regarding first year screw up

Started by KH08
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KH08

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi so I'm interested in applying for Optometry but I am scared something that happened in first year may affect this. In first year I was accused of plagiarism on a biology lab report. I refuted the claims but to no avail. Long story short I was found guilty but I believe to this day I am not guilty and believe I could explain myself really well. (they thought I plagiarized because I had a citation in my work cited that I didn't use in my report). My punishment was a getting a 0 on the report but I still managed to finished the lab with a 60 (report was worth 30%). The good part was that it is not on my transcript. My question is under the section in the application where it asks for Academic Infarctions should I put yes? It is not on my transcript and I am worried this may affect my chances. Overall I believe I am a solid candidate (OAT TS:AA: 350 both, 3.5 GPA lots of volunteering and what not). If anyone has advice please help me out!

Appreciate any responses
 
I would contact the admissions staff of wherever you are applying and ask them directly.

Something like, “Dear ____,

I hope you enjoyed your holiday season. My name is KH08 and I am a prospective applicant to your program. I would appreciate clarification on how to incorporate a claim of plagiarism into my application. While this does not show up on my transcript, it affected my grade for that semester. I understand that this may negatively impact my profile regardless of the circumstances, and would appreciate any advice on whether I should include this under academic infractions or anywhere else. Thank you so much for your time.

Best,
KH08”