Help! Quick thyroid hormone question from Kaplan online workshop

Nov 30, 2011
MA
Status
Pre-Dental
A person with hyperthyroidism tested for T3, T4, and TSH levels. You expect levels to be:

Answer: T4, T3 high, TSH low

My question: shouldn't TSH level be high as well? Since hyperthyroidism is represents abnormal functioning. I was thinking that in normal individuals, we'd have low TSH in response to high T4 T3 levels(neg feedback), but not in ppl with hyperthyroidism. Where am I thinking wrong here?

dsoz

Accepted OHSU C/O 2017
5+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2011
Status
Medical Student
A person with hyperthyroidism tested for T3, T4, and TSH levels. You expect levels to be:

My question: shouldn't TSH level be high as well? Since hyperthyroidism is represents abnormal functioning. I was thinking that in normal individuals, we'd have low TSH in response to high T4 T3 levels(neg feedback), but not in ppl with hyperthyroidism. Where am I thinking wrong here?
I am going from memory here, so I may have some details wrong.

If the hyperthyroidism is from a thyroid tumor, then the excess T3 T4 would negative feedback to TRH to decrease TSH.

If the hyperthyroidism is from a hypothalamus tumor or an anterior pituitary tumor than the TRH and/or TSH levels would be high as well. But I think that increased TRH also messes with another hormone (I think prolactin...?) so if it has a normal level then TRH would not be high.

dsoz

ttpharm

7+ Year Member
May 27, 2011
Status
Dental Student

Youre getting too technical. Yes there is some negative feedback, but the main answer is high levels of thyroxin (T4 and T3). If you can only choose 1 answer, then T4. Since its the most abundant and converts to T3 at tissues.