Help regarding MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope143

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Hope you are doing good.
I have taken the MCAT three times and done poorly each time.
492 (123 all) , 496 (BB and CP 125 and CARS and PS 123) and then 498 (CP -122 I know , CARS-124, BB-125, PS-127)
First time I only used EK to study! Second time I focused on Section Bank and also 86 page doc ! Third time I only used U World and finished the whole thing-helped alot with Psych! I have not taken Biochemistry in college!
I have already applied to DO schools this cycle and got a few secondaries (not all-guessing I got screened out due to low MCAT and low GPA). I still don't want to give up this easily. I rescheduled the MCAT one more time in September! I am enrolling in a Post Bacc that starts in two weeks and it will have Cell bio and biochem this semester! What should I do? Should I take the January MCAT ?
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Your sub-500 score tells me that you are still lacking on content review, especially with C/P & B/B. This will also be your 4th time taking the MCAT, and you only get three chances every year to take the test. IMO, taking biochemistry this fall will certainly help with those two sections. Also, have you used any of the AAMC materials? They’re tremendously helpful. I also suggest receiving guidance from MCAT tutors on content review and take the test next year when you feel ready (reached your desired score on AAMC FL’s). I am hopeful that you will break that 500 barrier and increase your chance for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Your sub-500 score tells me that you are still lacking on content review, especially with C/P & B/B. This will also be your 4th time taking the MCAT, and you only get three chances every year to take the test. IMO, taking biochemistry this fall will certainly help with those two sections. Also, have you used any of the AAMC materials? They’re tremendously helpful. I also suggest receiving guidance from MCAT tutors on content review and take the test next year when you feel ready (reached your desired score on AAMC FL’s). I am hopeful that you will break that 500 barrier and increase your chance for DO schools.
Thankyou !!

You should not take the exam in September unless your practice AAMC exam scores have significantly improved. Why are you taking it prior to your post bac? Normally this is something one takes after finishing their classes...

Members don't see this ad :)
You should not take the exam in September unless your practice AAMC exam scores have significantly improved. Why are you taking it prior to your post bac? Normally this is something one takes after finishing their classes...
already applied to med school this cycle! want to go to DO! I know I can't get into MD with my stats!

So just to be clear, you’re applying DO while doing your postbac? I would still hold off on the mcat. You need to pass the 505 threshold and your classes may help you do that.

Yeah, trying to sprint an MCAT at the beginning of a postbac program likely is going to lead to a mark on your record. As one should know, the numbers add up and each one makes it harder to get in.

Do the post-bac, get individualized help/tutoring, drill down that content and absolutely make sure you have multiple practice tests in your goal score zone before taking it. Your ability to accept risk is very low. You did not disclose your GPA here but if it is low, then the post bac GPA and postbac MCAT must represent significant progress to shake the prior GPA and MCAT.

None of this is of course meant to discourage you. But the best path is a scenic route that lets you put your best and strongest foot forward for eventual interviews,

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Yeah, trying to sprint an MCAT at the beginning of a postbac program likely is going to lead to a mark on your record. As one should know, the numbers add up and each one makes it harder to get in.

Do the post-bac, get individualized help/tutoring, drill down that content and absolutely make sure you have multiple practice tests in your goal score zone before taking it. Your ability to accept risk is very low. You did not disclose your GPA here but if it is low, then the post bac GPA and postbac MCAT must represent significant progress to shake the prior GPA and MCAT.

None of this is of course meant to discourage you. But the best path is a scenic route that lets you put your best and strongest foot forward for eventual interviews,

Med School Tutors
Also, how does the post bacc even help if it's taken while you are applying?

Med School Tutors
thanks so much! will do ! thanks for the encouragement ! you did not say anything to discourage me at all!