HELP! Ross student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dang, I should've gotten bad college grades and MCAT scores so I could associate with hardworking Carribean students rather than these lazy American MD students.
Im sure its the laziness in American Mds that leads to better performance on step compared to the harder working DO students.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't like what you said at all. It's not the student's fault if he or she has to be on a cruise ship to be on for classes. I think Ross has to take more ownership for the student learning. Let's say you were in this situation, would you be thrown on a cruise ship to learn? He or she has the right to apply, considering a proper applicant, to another spot without any shame at all.

Over twenty years ago, med school admissions were a lot easier than they are now. I couldn't get in a few years ago and now I am a fourth year at a DO school. I almost ended up there and let me tell you that some of the nicest/hardest working people I have met while on rotations were Caribbean students. Much better than some of the lazy American MD students who spent their time texting on rounds instead of trying to learn. Not to say that all American MD students are lazy but there are a good chunk who don't give a jack except to get a C and pass. If I was on an admissions committee, I would admire hard work and dedication over laziness.
I'm not blaming the students...but they made the choice to go Carib instead of fixing their apps so they could at a minimum be where you are right now. And I'm not making the news, just reporting it.

Can't speak for all DO students, but my kids work hard, are dedicated, and have the Board scores and residency placements to prove it.

Reactions: 2 users
You've got to be frickin' kidding me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Im sure its the laziness in American Mds that leads to better performance on step compared to the harder working DO students.

It's actually not having to focus on 200-250 extra hours of OPP, having sources geared towards an exam that is written differently and presented differently than the COMLEX (which will probably be useless in 20-30 years.. maybe sooner), AND having the chance to actually take NBMEs for class exams rather than exams that have poorly written superfluous questions that can be argued for points over a discussion board that all probably help get higher board scores.

Also... a lot of y'all MD students are just robots that know everything. I give props where props are due man but let's be real for a sec.

I'm not blaming OPP for DO students' poorer performance on step 1 compared to MD, as it is possible for DO students to kick butt on USMLE... but as a second year DO student gearing up for boards. It's definitely a grind. We can't act like it DOESN'T play a factor in making time for board studying.

Not trying to be rude or come across as a douche or anything but you MD students got it made man.

OPP is a timesink for sure if you aren't interested in it. The time spent studying for OPP written AND practical exams can easily take 2 days out of your week (depends on how your school does their OPP exams... and that's JUST cramming info... btw) which can be spent getting through FA, pathoma, and Qbanks.

That's time on top of trying to keep up with current lecture material and medical skills exams.

Make time for social life in there somewhere if possible lol

But I knew what I was getting into before I did it and I don't regret. It could be worse.

I could be on a cruise ship only able to bring one carry on bag with things I need trying to learn medicine overseas like OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

I like how the guy was talking about Carribbean MD students and you took the opportunity to take a steaming dump on DOs.

Reactions: 17 users
I like how the guy was talking about Carribbean MD students and you took the opportunity to take a steaming dump on DOs.

LOL I know. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it. But yeah... kinda douchey on his part.

I don't like the meal situation and no gym, but I gotta admit that sounds like an adventure. Something to tell your grand kids about, if you can survive it and actually match, that is.

I don't like the meal situation and no gym, but I gotta admit that sounds like an adventure. Something to tell your grand kids about, if you can survive it and actually match, that is.

One of the important lessons I learned in college is that associating with sketchy people who do questionable things isn't a Dickensian adventure - it's just a pile of s**t that you're voluntarily wading into. It builds the wrong kind of character and probably just wrecks your life more.

Reactions: 7 users
The dude called carribean mds harder working compared to lazy American MDs. Why wouldn't I flaunt an objective display of better performance .
It's actually not having to focus on 200-250 extra hours of OPP, having sources geared towards an exam that is written differently and presented differently than the COMLEX that will probably be useless in 20-30 years, AND having the chance to actually take NBMEs for class exams rather than exams that have poorly written superfluous questions that can be argued for points over a discussion board that all probably help get higher board scores.

Also... a lot of y'all MD students are just robots that know everything. I give props where props are due man but let's be real for a sec.

I'm not blaming OPP for DO students' poorer performance on step 1 compared to MD, as it is possible for DO students to kick butt on USMLE... but as a second year DO student gearing up for boards. It's definitely a grind. We can't act like it DOESN'T play a factor in making time for board studying.

Not trying to be rude or come across as a douche or anything but you MD students got it made man.

OPP is a timesink for sure if you aren't interested in it. The time spent studying for OPP written AND practical exams can easily take 2 days out of your week (depends on how your school does their OPP exams... and that's JUST cramming info... btw) which can be spent getting through FA, pathoma, and Qbanks.

That's time on top of trying to keep up with current lecture material and medical skills exams.

Make time for social life in there somewhere if possible lol

But I knew what I was getting into before I did it and I don't regret. It could be worse.

I could be on a cruise ship only able to bring one carry on bag with things I need trying to learn medicine overseas like OP.
systemic hurdles would only give explaination of DO poor performance, if American MDs we're so lazy as the person stated they would have terrible scores as well. Not all MD schools have nbme exams. Or you know instead of making excuses , maybe don't try to paint an entire group of people as lazy.

Reactions: 3 users
One of the important lessons I learned in college is that associating with sketchy people who do questionable things isn't a Dickensian adventure - it's just a pile of s**t that you're voluntarily wading into. It builds the wrong kind of character and probably just wrecks your life more.
Whatever dude, I already got my swimming vest. See ya on the other side.

The dude called carribean mds harder working compared to lazy American MDs. Why wouldn't I flaunt an objective display of better performance .

systemic hurdles would only give explaination of DO poor performance, if American MDs we're so lazy as the person stated they would have terrible scores as well. Not all MD schools have nbme exams. Or you know instead of making excuses , maybe don't try to paint an entire group of people as lazy.

Well I wasn't the one who said MDs were lazy... if anything I touted that the MDs I've met are smart and hardworking.

Just like there are lazy MDs... there are lazy DOs.

That was just HIS experience. Everybody has their own but it's not cool to generalize. That goes for whoever said that MDs are lazy and for you as well homie.

Reactions: 1 users

I mean, I might be crazy... but if his (preposterous) argument was that carribbeans are harder-working than USMDs... why not use the counter argument that USMDs do better on the boards than CARIBBEAN students?

If someone tells me that cats are better than dogs, I wouldn't respond with "yeah, well F**K those goddam ferrets!"

Reactions: 19 users
I mean, I might be crazy... but if his (preposterous) argument was that carribbeans are harder-working than USMDs... why not use the counter argument that USMDs do better on the boards than CARIBBEAN students?

If someone tells me that cats are better than dogs, I wouldn't respond with "yeah, well F**K those goddam ferrets!"
Its because the writer of the comment was a fourth year DO student. The implication was that DO and Carribean MD students are harder working compared to a majority of those lazy American MD students. Also I have data of DO vs MDs in step performance so I could back it up if asked, I dont know if MD vs Carrib Step score data exists.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its because the writer of the comment was a fourth year DO student. The implication was that DO and Carribean MD students are harder working compared to a majority of those lazy American MD students. Also I have data of DO vs MDs in step performance so I could back it up if asked, I dont know if MD vs Carrib Step score data exists.

I’m really upset that you didn’t continue with my dog/Cat/ferret metaphor. You MDs are just the worst.

So you're telling me that Ross has gone full-blown pirates of the carribean now?

Crazy times my friends, crazy times.

Reactions: 15 users
So you're telling me that Ross has gone full-blown pirates of the carribean now?

Crazy times my friends, crazy times.

I’d never apply to Ross School of Medicine, but I’d give serious consideration to Ross School of Medicine and Piracy.

Reactions: 21 users
As you can see, if you continue down the Ross path you will be ridiculed and treated with less than half the respect of a convicted felon. (Ms4, Ross, not failing). It is truly a horrible feeling to endure so much, work hard, score the same as the AMGs and be treated like you aren't even worthy of the oxygen you waste. I am older also, and I can tell you that this is the only time of my adult years that I have felt such consuming shame. Eventually the hate wears you down.

Look into DO school.

The vitriol on this thread is really uncalled for.

I have plenty of concerns about carib MD schools, their advertising, costs, etc. But with Ross, a decent number of students would graduate and go on to US residencies and have great careers. Whether the OP made a mistake going to Ross is complicated to answer, depends on many things.

Back on track here:

First, it's actually not a bad looking ship. There's a better description here: Excellent Presumably they won't have any cars on it, and will use that space for classes or something else. The video makes it look quite nice on the inside. Doesn't have a pool.

The ship isn't going anywhere. No one is getting sea sick. It's staying at dock. All the time. (unless there's another hurricane).

Ross is playing hardball. That annoys me, but I can see why they are doing it -- they fear that if they just give people refunds and pretend they never started, lots will take them up on that and their school will collapse.

There's no reason why they can't teach the first 2 years of medical school on a ship like this. The lack of anatomy labs seems a huge problem, though.

My biggest concern is this: The ship will be docked at another island, St. Kitts I believe. That means that the school is now in a new country. My understanding was that this wasn't allowed. Opening a branch school in a new country is considered a new school. Needs new accreditation, new NY and CA approvals, new loan approvals, etc. Maybe there's some exception. I don't know.

There is another interesting twist to this. Ships are governed by the laws in the country where it's registered / flagged. And this ship flies the Italian flag. Technically, if things don't go well, you might be able to take Ross to court in Italy. Sounds bad, but that's probably a whole lot better than taking them to court in Dominica. Note that this is true for any crime aboard ship. (Note: I'm not a lawyer, this might be wrong)

Reactions: 15 users
The vitriol on this thread is really uncalled for.

I have plenty of concerns about carib MD schools, their advertising, costs, etc. But with Ross, a decent number of students would graduate and go on to US residencies and have great careers. Whether the OP made a mistake going to Ross is complicated to answer, depends on many things.

Back on track here:

First, it's actually not a bad looking ship. There's a better description here: Excellent Presumably they won't have any cars on it, and will use that space for classes or something else. The video makes it look quite nice on the inside. Doesn't have a pool.

The ship isn't going anywhere. No one is getting sea sick. It's staying at dock. All the time. (unless there's another hurricane).

Ross is playing hardball. That annoys me, but I can see why they are doing it -- they fear that if they just give people refunds and pretend they never started, lots will take them up on that and their school will collapse.

There's no reason why they can't teach the first 2 years of medical school on a ship like this. The lack of anatomy labs seems a huge problem, though.

My biggest concern is this: The ship will be docked at another island, St. Kitts I believe. That means that the school is now in a new country. My understanding was that this wasn't allowed. Opening a branch school in a new country is considered a new school. Needs new accreditation, new NY and CA approvals, new loan approvals, etc. Maybe there's some exception. I don't know.

There is another interesting twist to this. Ships are governed by the laws in the country where it's registered / flagged. And this ship flies the Italian flag. Technically, if things don't go well, you might be able to take Ross to court in Italy. Sounds bad, but that's probably a whole lot better than taking them to court in Dominica. Note that this is true for any crime aboard ship. (Note: I'm not a lawyer, this might be wrong)

Very interesting take. I feel that Ross, as any greedy, for-profit corporation would, had it's team of lawyers ensure they are notliable or at risk for any financial harm. They wouldn't risk their M.D craving human ATM's fighting back!

I think aPD is being kind. The car area is not usable space any more than you teach lectures in your parking garage. The ferry staterooms are very small. Refusing to refund students is a terrible decision that reflects on the kind of people that run this school.

As much as I think attending a Caribbean school is a bad decision, I feel like this thread is unnecessarily mean-spirited. This person is asking an honest question and shouldn't be lampooned for it.

OP, to answer your question, from everything I've read about this situation, it just doesn't sound conducive to a medical education in any way. I don't think you would be doing right by yourself and your ambitions if you stayed in this position. If you really want to be a doctor, there are ways to do it the right away -- but it will take longer and will require some more work to get there. In my opinion, you should take this opportunity to walk away.

I wish you the best of luck!

I swear to god I thought I was reading The Onion

Reactions: 10 users
OP, I wish you the best of luck. This sounds so stressful. The time, money and emotional roller coaster you're going through is real. Stay strong.

The fact that you're a Ross student is far more hurtful to your career than any W grade.

You'd be DOA at my school. We look down upon Carib refugees because the MD degree was more important to you than actually becoming a doctor.

You made your bed, now lie in it.
But you don't know if they applied and were rejected from DO schools previously

As you can see, if you continue down the Ross path you will be ridiculed and treated with less than half the respect of a convicted felon. (Ms4, Ross, not failing). It is truly a horrible feeling to endure so much, work hard, score the same as the AMGs and be treated like you aren't even worthy of the oxygen you waste. I am older also, and I can tell you that this is the only time of my adult years that I have felt such consuming shame. Eventually the hate wears you down.

Look into DO school.

that sucks dude
but if you end up matching, then perhaps the end justifies the means? Nobody can really still look down on you after matching right?

Look into DO school.
That sucks to hear. If it is any consolation you get treated the same after residency.

Speaking of this thread, do we have any stories of what med school on the cruise ship was like? I’ve always been curious...

Speaking of this thread, do we have any stories of what med school on the cruise ship was like? I’ve always been curious...

There's a documentary on Netflix about Fyre Festival -- it's probably close enough of a situation to satisfy your curiosity.

Reactions: 9 users
What was the update on this whole Ship/Ross thing?
from what I heard, the cruise ship was an absolute disaster and didn't work out, I guess they turned the ship cafeterias into the lecture halls, and had 3+ people sharing a room. now Ross does their first 2 years in Tennessee.

Ross is in Barbados permanently.[/THREAD]

This thread took a turn for the weird. But I just wanna say assuming an equivalent curriculum could be delivered (which I know is a big leap) I would LOVE to go to school on a cruise ship. Gym, food made for you, view of the ocean while you study, and everything would be so close together!
Besides the one thing I miss the most that I did in my pre medical school life which to had to sacrifice up is traveling a lot. For sure worth it but that’s what I miss most

This thread took a turn for the weird. But I just wanna say assuming an equivalent curriculum could be delivered (which I know is a big leap) I would LOVE to go to school on a cruise ship. Gym, food made for you, view of the ocean while you study, and everything would be so close together!
Besides the one thing I miss the most that I did in my pre medical school life which to had to sacrifice up is traveling a lot. For sure worth it but that’s what I miss most

Clearly you didn't see the ship! It was a repurposed ferry boat with tiny cabins and didn't leave port...

Don’t underestimate the stress level of being surrounded by med students at all times. I’ve made some lifelong friends in med school (current M4), but at the end of the day, I LOVED being able to go home to my apartment with my non-medicine SO. Having that escape was critical to my wellbeing. Being stuck in close quarters like that ALL THE TIME sounds terrible.

Hi everyone, I am new to SDN. I recently considered applying to Ross as I have been waitlisted at several DO schools. I only filled out an AACOMAS application which Ross acceptes. They told me to upload a pdf of my AACOMAS application but I am unsure as to where I should get this. All the pdf's I've seen on AACOMAS have the name of a different school on it and I cannot see the letters of recommendation as they are not available to the applicant. I was wondering if anyone here has done this successfully and had any advice on how to go about this.

Hi everyone, I am new to SDN. I recently considered applying to Ross as I have been waitlisted at several DO schools. I only filled out an AACOMAS application which Ross acceptes. They told me to upload a pdf of my AACOMAS application but I am unsure as to where I should get this. All the pdf's I've seen on AACOMAS have the name of a different school on it and I cannot see the letters of recommendation as they are not available to the applicant. I was wondering if anyone here has done this successfully and had any advice on how to go about this.
Step 1: Open Ross application website
Step 2: Hit Alt+F4
Step 3: Profit!

You really come on a thread where they’re talking about the classes being on a god damn ship and you still want to apply?

There’s time to be taken off waitlists yet.

Reactions: 6 users
You really come on a thread where they’re talking about the classes being on a god damn ship and you still want to apply?

There’s time to be taken off waitlists yet.
1 - Classes are not on a god damn ship. That was well over a year ago now.
2 - You do not, nor have you, attended a Caribbean medical school. Neither are you a residency program director therefore you have no basis with which to respond and should be summarily discounted out of hand.

2 - You do not, nor have you, attended a Caribbean medical school. Neither are you a residency program director therefore you have no basis with which to respond and should be summarily discounted out of hand.

1. The fact that classes were ever held on a ship in the first place tells us everything we need to know. Doesn't matter if it was yesterday, a year ago, or five years ago.

2. It's ridiculous to suggest that you have to experience something in order to have a well-supported opinion about it. I've never jumped off a ten-story building, but I can tell you that it's generally a bad idea.

In-line response follows:

1. The fact that classes were ever held on a ship in the first place tells us everything we need to know. Doesn't matter if it was yesterday, a year ago, or five years ago.
Please tell me about adversity and how to quickly adapt to a quickly evolving situation. Tell your story walking.
2. It's ridiculous to suggest that you have to experience something in order to have a well-supported opinion about it. I've never jumped off a ten-story building, but I can tell you that it's generally a bad idea.
It's not at all ridiculous to suggest that experience matters in fact experience is the the number one measure of the value of your words. Without it, you're just another tool in the peanut gallery. You comparing this to jumping off a tall building only reaffirms how worthless your opinion really is.

Dude my eyes just rolled so far back in my head that I could see my brain on that one.